Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Maximizing PQP on Star Alliance

Originally Posted by kb1992
I personally know 8 GS/1Ks. They all travel heavily to China. . . .

I think only 1 of them will qualify for 1K. Even that is not a given. Without enough OPM, $24,000 is a lot to spend.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Except one doesnt need $24k. I'll do it at about USD7000 this year, and thats with 80%+ of my vacation flights upfront.
With the new Premier Qualification Requirements, UA has made it very opaque how to maximize PQP on Star Alliance flights.

For example, on this business fare deal to Guyana via Panama, YVR-UA-LAX-CM-PTY-GEO, is it more advantageous to ticket on UA (016) or add AC flights before and after and ticket with AC?

UA/CM: YYZ-GEO from US$740 or CA$975 ​​​​​​​
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
With the new Premier Qualification Requirements, UA has made it very opaque how to maximize PQP on Star Alliance flights.

For example, on this business fare deal to Guyana via Panama, YVR-UA-LAX-CM-PTY-GEO, is it more advantageous to ticket on UA (016) or add AC flights before and after and ticket with AC?

UA/CM: YYZ-GEO from US$740 or CA$975 ​​​​​​​
It's not opaque at all. You get $740 (less taxes, so say 700) PQDPQP.

Do you earn more than 700*5 = 3500 RDM on this set of flights, without elite multiplier? That's going to depend on the fare bucket for AC, I think. But I guess you would.

So AC away, except you will need to spend more to add the extra segement(?) unless you can purchase on the AC site itself.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
UA's intent is that it shouldn't matter. In many cases it does -- expensive tickets should be plated on 016, and discount PE/J tickets should be plated on non-016 -- but you'd have to do the calculation yourself to be sure.

That said, I'm not sure that YVR-GEO fare will combine with intra-Canada flights. When I looked at it, the only way to plate it on 016 stock was to start from overseas.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
In the past we saw 2x EQM promos but of course that won’t work now. Maybe 2x EQP?? Also very easy to award 2x RDM or threshold bonuses.
Sure, there's nothing stopping UA from offering a double PQD promo, or a MilePlay style "four $300 flights, get 1000 bonus PQD" promo, or whatever. I suspect that they will do that if the weak demand spreads past China.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
My wife has a flight on BR - one leg is Q class (75% RDM on United) and one leg is V class (0% RDM on United).

If she accrues the itinerary to UA, I know she will get 1 PQF and some PQP ((distance * 0.75)/6) on the Q fare leg, and I know she will get 0 PQP on the V class leg. But, will she still get 1 PQF on the V class leg, despite no RDM due to fare class?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
My wife has a flight on BR - one leg is Q class (75% RDM on United) and one leg is V class (0% RDM on United).

If she accrues the itinerary to UA, I know she will get 1 PQF and some PQP ((distance * 0.75)/6) on the Q fare leg, and I know she will get 0 PQP on the V class leg. But, will she still get 1 PQF on the V class leg, despite no RDM due to fare class?
No. If the fare class doesn't earn RDM, it won't accrue a PQF either.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the quick response and the clarity!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since upgrade fees / copays now count towards PQP... do they also earn RDM?

Eg, as Platinum, I get 9x fare paid as RDM. If I buy a $300 ticket and confirm an upgrade / TOD for $300... I get 600 PQP, but do I get 2700 RDM or 5400 RDM?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Eg, as Platinum, I get 9x fare paid as RDM. If I buy a $300 ticket and confirm an upgrade / TOD for $300... I get 600 PQP, but do I get 2700 RDM or 5400 RDM?
Don't think so:
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

When I purchased a TOD upgrade in January it was accounted for in my account as a Day of Departure Upgrade and did not generate any RDMs.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
When I purchased a TOD upgrade in January it was accounted for in my account as a Day of Departure Upgrade and did not generate any RDMs.
Not only there is no RDM for paid TOD upgrades, but also it is not even showing up as PQP in my experience.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Not only there is no RDM for paid TOD upgrades, but also it is not even showing up as PQP in my experience.
It gave me the full upgrade price in PQPs in My Mileage Activity Details for the day of the flight. No PQFs (obviously) and no RDMs.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paid upgrades should accrue PQP (as of Jan 1); if you have any that haven't, you should contact the MileagePlus Service Center for assistance. They will credit as a separate line item, typically within 24-48 hours of travel.
SPN Lifer, opusx100 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Paid upgrades should accrue PQP (as of Jan 1); if you have any that haven't, you should contact the MileagePlus Service Center for assistance. They will credit as a separate line item, typically within 24-48 hours of travel.
In my data point of one, I've found it come closer to 48 than 24 hours.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
PQM have re-appeared in my account !
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:01 pm

This happened to someone else recently and I think the consensus was that you are somehow on an old page that still displays this. While PQM is no longer relevant, they appear to still be adding it up on the UA backend systems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.