Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It'll probably work out great for me, but this is now so complicated ... I need to see what if anything changes with this. Great to earn from partner flights, but I guess it is not consequential is it ... Will have $50k this year and likely a bit less next year. Unless UA changes RDM earnings it probably won't affect me.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
We have a number of European flights next year, purchased on 016- too. Would have been cheaper on LH, LX and have gotten more PQPs!!!!

What a rip!
joelfreak and hirohito888 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by st3
As someone who primarily flies between two non-hub cities on relatively expensive weekday tickets this is an increase in benefits. I can see how it hurts those who fly long haul on cheap tickets though...
Only if you consider 18 cpm "cheap." That's about what I'm averaging, and it won't be enough under the new system.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
IF Kacee is correct (which is being discussed), then there is no partner loophole for anyone.
I think the point is if you book a deeply discounted partner ticket, such as this mythical $500 fare from New York to Tokyo, don't expect to earn some windfall in qualifying points. You're not getting it on a $500 ticket.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dulcamara
On a positive note, the Polaris lounges will be less crowded.
why would that be the case?
IAH-OIL-TRASH, m.y and Santander like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
While I understand why UA is incentivized to kick out high PQM, low segment, low spend flyers, this is a really heart wrenching change and really makes it extremely hard to advocate to others about why they should direct their spend towards UA for their generous FFP program for most leisure flyers. This change is great for large spenders but the marginal cost of adding a flyer with high PQM on deep discount fares is extremely small especially with load factors not at 100%. It will be interesting to see if load factors start materially changing due to high PQM, low segment flyers not being incentivized to take extra flights to qualify by PQM.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
I’ m still recovering from the shock of the United Club prices. ...now this. Need to figure this out and fast.

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
We’ve also heard of those other guys, and last time we checked they offer 4 system-wides to their highest published tier and cap ability to earn incremental upgrades afterwards. ��
I’d rather have 4 that clear than 30+ per year that do not.

Last edited by CO_Nonrev_elite; Oct 11, 2019 at 9:41 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by seanp7
$18,000 is $18,000 to UA. Pay up, and you're loyal. But fly 54 times too

Agreed.
We disagree. This change aligns the way our members qualify for status by not biasing qualification towards long-haul travel and instead recognizing the value of paid tickets and flights taken. Many of our members were meeting the spend criteria for 1K, but falling short of status because of the length of haul on the routes they travel. Taking away distance as a qualifying metric doesn’t mean the new program is transactional, but it does mean that our short-haul travelers will have as much opportunity to earn status as members that fly primarily long-haul.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Flight requirement will disproportionately cull hub-captive flyers from 1k ranks, unless they decide to start doing inconvenient connections to where they're going into instead of taking available non-stops.

Flying out of Maui, I almost always am making a connection to where I'm going (LAS, IAH, EWR, LHR, etc). Four flights a month, minimum, so the 54 flight requirement is already in the bag. I'm just facing a $3k hike in PQDs, although paid upgrades (I'm assuming HoDs?) are now enticing.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet of my flights this year and running the math under the new program nothing really would change, neither in terms of status nor timing of when I re-qual for 1k. I might actually come out ahead 20 PP given the $3k thresholds vs 25k PQM.

But then again, I fly a lot of paid OPM business class TATL and spent $60k with UA this year...
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by STS-134
Well it looks like I'm out. After seeing the PQP earnings from CC spend (only up to 1000 per year), that means I'd have to spend $9k on tickets for *G status. I am absolutely not doing that.
Where did you find this? I can't find the CC earnings anywhere.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We disagree.
UA is showing many decades long loyal flyers the door in favor of customers who will buy maybe three or four tickets the year. That is certainly UA's prerogative, just as it is ours to move our business to carriers that provide a better product at a better price.

Programs: AC SE
This makes UA far less attractive for anyone living outside of the US. It's more difficult to rack up a high number of segments when traveling internationally (vs. domestic short-hauls). On top of this, as the UA credit cards are not available in most foreign countries, there's no option to earn some additional PQP's through credit card activity. This change seems to make it easier for a US domestic traveler to get status, but makes US far less attractive for international or overseas customers that may not be a natural UA customer.

AC seemed to have a reasonable balance in their program with a reduced spend requirement for those outside Canada (e.g. SE100K is $20K CAD, but $10K CAD for foreigners), recognizing that it's often less convenient to rack up miles and $ traveling on a carrier based in a different country. AC actually made this change after the program was announced a few years ago in order to retain their foreign customers.

If UA keeps the PQP requirements the same for foreign customers, but it's also much less convenient for them to rack up spend/segments on UA, I'd expect they're going to see a significant dropoff in their foreign customer base.
leoo and nubbeldupp like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
IF Kacee is correct (which is being discussed), then there is no partner loophole for anyone.
Kacee is definitely correct. You were confusing PQM and RDM multipliers. NH got 100% PQM on discount fares, but not 100% RDM -- not in years, if ever. (The foreign airlines gutted rewards for economy travel much earlier than the domestic carriers did).

The loophole definitely exists, but it's mostly in PE/J/F.

Originally Posted by findark
That's still something like three annual trips to somewhere specifically cheap and far away to get 18k of your points, plus normal travel on top. If you already enjoy going to eg BKK three times a year, that does work though
Precisely. That's why this change is beneficial to me personally, but isn't good for most people.

Originally Posted by findark
Did not notice NH A earns 300%.. could be 60% of the distance although I'm sure A fares are not runnably cheap. Is the max 70% of the distance for full F on NH? Don't know all the RDM tables off the top of my head and LH Group tops out at 200.
Yes, I believe you're correct that 70% is the max. Even 60% would be grand, but I don't think NH runs many fare sales on A fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.