Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
question about pqp:does it accrue if you use vouchers?(for the voucher value?)
thanks
Yes, just like PQD in the old system.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I cannot believe I will be the only 1K member who knows they will drop in status in 2021 who is thinking about this approach of rotating even years.
Most flyers only plan their travel 1-3 months out. It's good you figured out your elite qualification strategy, but who knows what the MP program will look like in 2021 and onward.

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
question about pqp:does it accrue if you use vouchers?(for the voucher value?)
thanks
Yes, you will get PQP. PQP is calculated based on the fare calculated. Ecert vouchers are just a method of payment.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As someone who does decide which airline I choose to fly, I have finally worked out my planned strategy. I had indicated I was going to become a free agent and I will in 2021 but for 2020 I will be a very loyal UA customer as I want to use my 1K benefits, which for me is the Plus Points. With that strategy my spend will not be nearly sufficient to make even Platinum. I will be Gold as I am a 1MM. Quite a drop!

Using my spreadsheet UA wants $333.33 for 54 PQF (i.e. $18,000) and my anticipated PQF of 35 is only yielding them $178.11 per PQF.

In 2021 I will fly *A for all my TPAC and TATL flights as I think I have worked out the number of flights I take will get me to the PQF and PQP requirements for 1K. So I will be 1K for the even years (well unless UA changes the rules again but once I no longer have 1K benefits the rule changes will not be such a sore point). I have a couple of *A flights this year which actually brings my PQF tally to 41 with average of $208.14 for the PQD but 4 of the PQF is on SQ in PE and am actually thinking of crediting the miles to a new AS account to get some kind of status on AS for 2021, especially for my domestic flights. I know number of 1K members were going to status match to DL/AA/AS but I want to use the 1K benefits in 2020 that I earned - I am very much a value flyer - best bang for my buck.

I cannot believe I will be the only 1K member who knows they will drop in status in 2021 who is thinking about this approach of rotating even years.
I was actually thinking about it as well, but have not sat down to try to map it out yet. 2 or 3 ultra longhaul paid J trips on NH or AC + about $1K PQD’s earned organically on my Presidential Plus card (which can be used toward 1K) can get me to where the out-of-pocket spend on UA may not be completely unreasonable. But part of me wants to go strictly free agent in 2021, so I can try other international carriers in J without worrying about PQP’s on UA. My best option in the U.S. is still UA, since I’m a lifetime UC member and would otherwise have to shell out for a lounge membership or do without.

The majority of my travel is completely discretionary, thank goodness. It enables me to keep every option open (including making fewer trips but all of them up front) until I make a decision.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
On my fantasy airline, there’s no advantage to boarding the plane first, because there’s enough space for everyone’s roll-aboards, nobody is allowed to put two items in the overhead (except for bulkhead seats), and passengers in the back are not allowed to use the space in the front just to keep from having to wheel their bag another twenty feet. Then, J/F and Premier flyers can board last.
And they have PDBs at the gate?

I like to board early because I like scotch, scotch is a sipping drink, and, yes, thank you, I'll have another if there's time.
Boraxo and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by STS-134
How in the heck did I miss this article? https://onemileatatime.com/frequent-...ogram-changes/

Has the absolute best quote I have seen from an article assessing the changes to MP for 2020:

I think the author indeed hit the nail on the head. UA will be getting dollars from Apple employees regardless of whether it rewards them or not, because those folks have no choice. But every dollar I threw at UA up until the end of last year was discretionary and my choice.
Fly on SQ and get UA miles. Fly on UA and don’t get any miles?

This is an idea bound to fail.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:09 pm

I’ve flown two biz class TPACs this year and already above the Plat threshold. I’ll be 1K by mid February and have around 55k of miles flown.

My have times changed.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

So just about to cross into 1K...... its going to be a long year at this rate
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by STS-134
I think the author indeed hit the nail on the head.
The author doesn't know what he's talking about and/or is just making stuff up. The employees have plenty choice.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:32 am

likewise for me. I’m a million miler, my wife’s family is in Asia so that’s minimum of one TPAC alone.

In the past I religiously put my air travel to UA to Ensure my 1K and sometimes GS.

Now with the new requirements I have no incentive to fly UA.

The next two years I can fly biz class on my contract and after that I’m going to be semi retired consultant.

I can book PE flights to Asia and no longer need to worry about all the UA non sense.

Having to do multi variate analysis to figure out best way to keep airline status is just crazy.

We don’t know what UAs main objective was but they are close to the breaking point where people stop chasing it.

If not for the upgrades even 1K isn’t worth that much more than gold.

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I would think UA would hope this is not the case.

If UA makes status exceedingly difficult to obtain for people then the inevitable outcome is free agents. Between the MP devaluations and the ever increasing pressure to maintain status there simply is no other outcome. Now, some people (like ATL and DTW flyers) are stuck in hub captive environments. They may or may not change their habits but I am pretty sure most will not feel great about getting on a UA flight.

Put all that together and everyone becomes a carrier agnostic price sensitive flier. Sure, many will book F but only the cheapest F available. Same with E+. Why on earth would anyone remain loyal to UA when they clearly do not value that loyalty? We can engage in all sorts of wordy arguments and esoteric business discussions in the abstract, but the flier who went from 1k to platinum/gold because of these changes is going to take it personal. Maybe the flier does game the system with *A flights but really most people won't do that unless it REALLY matters. PE is not cheap, and AC being the best exchange has priced BE near discount F. Between the two, I would take discount F but only if I needed to make the flight. Is it worth an extra expenditure of 4-5k for 1k?

I am fortunate in that I travel to Asia about once a month in PE. That used to just get me 1k. Now it gets me diamond on DL and 1k on UA. I cannot fathom why UA would put me in a position to move revenue away and improve my standing at the same time, but there it is, they did. are they morons? Geniuses? Savants? Time will tell I guess. If their rate of growth accelerates from the industry average as a result of this then all the other carriers will do this too. I do know that if this was a netflix type mistake there is no undoing it. When people get out and see better products from other carriers it will be awful hard to woo them back with crappy upgrade prospects and surly employees.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
And they have PDBs at the gate?

I like to board early because I like scotch, scotch is a sipping drink, and, yes, thank you, I'll have another if there's time.
They have 'em in the lounge
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite
In the past I religiously put my air travel to UA to Ensure my 1K and sometimes GS.
If GS is a possibility, the new restrictions aren’t really targeted at you. 24K PQP on UA-operated flights is maybe halfway to GS.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:08 pm

Not sure where I’ll end up on the spend. One of my flights is to FRA on LH so might get dinged as a result.

I qualified in the past in the Low 40s several years ago but was not based out of a HUB.

Doing 5 TPACs a year in biz got me GS for several years in a row. We shall see if that still holds true next January.

Last two years my travel has been half of what it used to be (by choice).

Point is, UA with their status requirements allows me to be a free agent as going after 1K is a stretch for many.

If the economy tanks UA will have to reverse course. I think they went to far this time raising the spend requirements but that’s just my opinion.

If GS is a possibility, the new restrictions aren’t really targeted at you. 24K PQP on UA-operated flights is maybe halfway to GS.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
But that is the problem with these type of unclear and hard to suss out changes. United opened fire at it's elite's with a machine gun. While it was clearly not aimed at the poster you were responding to, he did not feel that way, he just saw the bullets flying. Lots of people who are not "targeted" by these types of changes head for the door.

People like certainty, and they don't usually have the bandwidth to understand and figure out the likely impact of major changes. For probably 95% of UA's elites, the all they will know is (a) I'm not getting upgraded, (b) service levels are falling, (c) my miles are becoming useless, and (d) United wants me to spent a lot more money to have "status" on them...

The package is not very appealing at this point.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite
Point is, UA with their status requirements allows me to be a free agent as going after 1K is a stretch for many.
If your travel is substantially lower than it was in the past, and you won’t hit 54 PQF, and you don’t have / want a lot of flexibility within *A, then, I suppose I see that POV. But if you were already flying 5x paid business TPAC, you already had the ability to be a free agent, especially if you didn’t expect to make GS. A lot of people would have preferred their paid J to go to a different carrier than UA.

Originally Posted by spin88
But that is the problem with these type of unclear and hard to suss out changes.
The changes couldn’t be any clearer: “we want you to spend a lot of money with us.” Sure, if you care to optimize things, there are workarounds, but at its core, that’s what the change is.
STS-134 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The changes couldn’t be any clearer: “we want you to spend a lot of money with us.” Sure, if you care to optimize things, there are workarounds, but at its core, that’s what the change is.
And my answer is, "sorry, your product's not worth it."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.