Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by bh22
.... I think some people will be encouraged (forced?) to leave United, and others will be encouraged to increase their spend incrementally to the new level to keep status. And will thinning the ranks make a particular status level more valuable to the remaining members? Will that increase satisfaction/loyalty/spend? And let's not forget that "spend" is not always the most valuable metric to a company. "Profits" are usually more valuable to a company in the long run (although most large corporations rarely think that way.)
While I think the bean counters in Sears Tower think that people will be "forced" to fly UA more, I think they don't really understand consumer behavior. The reality is that most frequent travelers have so much travel they do, and set places they need to go. And it is not like most travelers can decide to just fly a more expensive ticket, or take some extra work trips to get to a set spending level.

Some travelers (but I think a small minority of elite mileage members) may fly several airlines and perhaps those can be enticed to concentrate their flying. E.g. Last year I had just under 70K qualifying miles and $21K spending on Delta, 34K qualifying miles in my UA account, with $7500 in spending (all but about 1200 miles of that was other *A carriers), 35K in my Alaska account (with about $8K in spending) and then a few scattered flights on SWA. But for people who currently split their flying, UA would need to offer some strong reason to want to concentrate the flying with UA. United has done nothing to win back fliers, and if anything MP is a substantially less rewarding program at this point. I am a good example, I live in SFO, but 1K status offers me basically nothing of value at this point, and certainly offers me lower quality service than Delta offers (which is why I fly Delta, certainly it is not for skypesos...)

What many travelers can do is when some event or change causes them to want to switch airlines they can switch. Being told "get lost, we don't really care about you" is a powerful motivator, especially when the benefits of MP are so little at this point, compared to the past. So I think the main impact of this is going to be to encourage MP members to either (a) switch to another carrier, or (b) just give up on the entire status thing with UA and fly whatever works best. And the number of people who benefit from this (those flying on segments, because they are in cities where they need to connect all the time, yet fly on relatively higher fares) seems much smaller than those who loose from this. Particularly at competitive hub cities, United just lost a lot of competitive edge by making it's mileage program clearly inferior to DL, AS, and AA.

I can see no set of circumstances where the combo of those just giving up on holding UA status (or e.g. as I do, figure than *A gold benefits are the only really useful thing) or switching to OALs will not swamp the few segment fliers UA picks up.

I don't think this was some strategic move, rather it was a cost saving move. People are not stupid. When UA offers that $1000 fare, while flying on OAL will be $800, they are going to be far less interested in paying the extra $200 to try to keep a lower status with faded benefits. Put another way, the traffic that UA is most likely to lose from making itself less competitive is those fares where it is less competitive, i.e. those it makes the most money on.

The reality is that if UA offered some other value proposition (better service, better product, better reputation (e.g. what Delta offers) this might be doable, but weakening MP further when you are a lagging airline just seems really self-destructive. A turn back to the Smisked days, something that someone from a third rate university like Hunter Keay suggested UA do.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
You bring up some good points though I'm not sure the arithmetic holds together. Those who are making connections generally aren't flying two "average" flights (distance or fare) to get to their destinations. In fact, they may be paying a lower fare overall than those flying nonstop. So, yeah, it's an interesting line of thought though I'd caution anyone into applying these average figures across multiple scenarios.
I agree with your point, the "segments" are likely to be slightly shorter on those connecting on average as the first spoke-hub flight would be to a close hub in most cases. However, I think the bigger issue is that those short flights have a much higher CASM and the entire trip while more miles in many cases and with the higher CASM of the two flights, tend to be cheaper. To give an e.g. Assume a 350 mile short leg, and a 2000 long leg. The fare for the direct might be $600 due to less competition, but the connecting flight might only be $500. And the operating costs of the second flight are the same (lets assume $300) while that of the first flight would be less, but more per mile (lets assume $150). The result is that the connecting passenger makes UA $50, while the direct (hub) passenger makes UA $300.

Yet this change disadvantages the hub/major city flier (who I think we can all agree is usually more profitable) and may (for some) advantage the segment flier. Yet, that segment flier, with lots of connections is not the most valuable traffic in most cases.

Again the numbers of "high value" (high yield) segement fliers - those who "win" under this change - is much smaller, and more expensive to service for UA than the much larger number of elite fliers in hub and major cities (with a lower cost to service on mostly direct flights) who loose under these changes.

The only explanation that I can see for these changes is that UA really believes (as it did in 2011-2013) that people just have to fly UA, so UA can do what it wants and business will not move away from United. I would have thought the experience of 2012-14 would have disabused Untied of this view, but it appears it has not.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I sat next to another 1K on SFO-HKG last week . . . we started discussing the program changes, and by the end of the flight not only had he decided to status match over to AA, he felt his work colleagues would be interested in that option as well.

Sitting in the Pier F lounge at HKG as I write. It's a little bit nicer than the UC
And this is the nub of the competitive problem. OALs offer better service and product and as importantly make an effort to make the passanger feel that their business is wanted. I am reminded of this every single time I fly Delta, 90% of the time the GA or FA (if in F) says "Mr. Spin, thank you for your business and for being a PLT/Gold". I can't recall the last time that UA thanked me for my business, and these changes suggest that UA is not interested in my business.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by spin88
While I think the bean counters in Sears Tower think that people will be "forced" to fly UA more, I think they don't really understand consumer behavior. The reality is that most frequent travelers have so much travel they do, and set places they need to go. And it is not like most travelers can decide to just fly a more expensive ticket, or take some extra work trips to get to a set spending level.

Some travelers (but I think a small minority of elite mileage members) may fly several airlines and perhaps those can be enticed to concentrate their flying. E.g. Last year I had just under 70K qualifying miles and $21K spending on Delta, 34K qualifying miles in my UA account, with $7500 in spending (all but about 1200 miles of that was other *A carriers), 35K in my Alaska account (with about $8K in spending) and then a few scattered flights on SWA. But for people who currently split their flying, UA would need to offer some strong reason to want to concentrate the flying with UA. United has done nothing to win back fliers, and if anything MP is a substantially less rewarding program at this point. I am a good example, I live in SFO, but 1K status offers me basically nothing of value at this point, and certainly offers me lower quality service than Delta offers (which is why I fly Delta, certainly it is not for skypesos...)

What many travelers can do is when some event or change causes them to want to switch airlines they can switch. Being told "get lost, we don't really care about you" is a powerful motivator, especially when the benefits of MP are so little at this point, compared to the past. So I think the main impact of this is going to be to encourage MP members to either (a) switch to another carrier, or (b) just give up on the entire status thing with UA and fly whatever works best. And the number of people who benefit from this (those flying on segments, because they are in cities where they need to connect all the time, yet fly on relatively higher fares) seems much smaller than those who loose from this. Particularly at competitive hub cities, United just lost a lot of competitive edge by making it's mileage program clearly inferior to DL, AS, and AA.

I can see no set of circumstances where the combo of those just giving up on holding UA status (or e.g. as I do, figure than *A gold benefits are the only really useful thing) or switching to OALs will not swamp the few segment fliers UA picks up.

I don't think this was some strategic move, rather it was a cost saving move. People are not stupid. When UA offers that $1000 fare, while flying on OAL will be $800, they are going to be far less interested in paying the extra $200 to try to keep a lower status with faded benefits. Put another way, the traffic that UA is most likely to lose from making itself less competitive is those fares where it is less competitive, i.e. those it makes the most money on.

The reality is that if UA offered some other value proposition (better service, better product, better reputation (e.g. what Delta offers) this might be doable, but weakening MP further when you are a lagging airline just seems really self-destructive. A turn back to the Smisked days, something that someone from a third rate university like Hunter Keay suggested UA do.

I agree with your point, the "segments" are likely to be slightly shorter on those connecting on average as the first spoke-hub flight would be to a close hub in most cases. However, I think the bigger issue is that those short flights have a much higher CASM and the entire trip while more miles in many cases and with the higher CASM of the two flights, tend to be cheaper. To give an e.g. Assume a 350 mile short leg, and a 2000 long leg. The fare for the direct might be $600 due to less competition, but the connecting flight might only be $500. And the operating costs of the second flight are the same (lets assume $300) while that of the first flight would be less, but more per mile (lets assume $150). The result is that the connecting passenger makes UA $50, while the direct (hub) passenger makes UA $300.

Yet this change disadvantages the hub/major city flier (who I think we can all agree is usually more profitable) and may (for some) advantage the segment flier. Yet, that segment flier, with lots of connections is not the most valuable traffic in most cases.

Again the numbers of "high value" (high yield) segement fliers - those who "win" under this change - is much smaller, and more expensive to service for UA than the much larger number of elite fliers in hub and major cities (with a lower cost to service on mostly direct flights) who loose under these changes.

The only explanation that I can see for these changes is that UA really believes (as it did in 2011-2013) that people just have to fly UA, so UA can do what it wants and business will not move away from United. I would have thought the experience of 2012-14 would have disabused Untied of this view, but it appears it has not.

And this is the nub of the competitive problem. OALs offer better service and product and as importantly make an effort to make the passanger feel that their business is wanted. I am reminded of this every single time I fly Delta, 90% of the time the GA or FA (if in F) says "Mr. Spin, thank you for your business and for being a PLT/Gold". I can't recall the last time that UA thanked me for my business, and these changes suggest that UA is not interested in my business.
100% agree with your evaluation. I was going to write something almost to this point about connecting passengers and hub captives.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Some travelers (but I think a small minority of elite mileage members) may fly several airlines and perhaps those can be enticed to concentrate their flying.
Previously, I concentrated spend on UA to meet PQD thresholds. Done with that.

In 2019, I spent something like $15k flying CX TPAC while still qualifying for 1K. With the new 1K requirements, I had the option of either (a) switching some CX spend to UA (and accepting an inferior product) to clear $24k, or (b) dropping UA in favor of OW Emerald, continuing to fly CX TPAC, and enjoying the CX F lounges at HKG as an added bonus. Guess which way I'm going?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sat next to another 1K on SFO-HKG last week . . . we started discussing the program changes, and by the end of the flight not only had he decided to status match over to AA, he felt his work colleagues would be interested in that option as well.

Sitting in the Pier F lounge at HKG as I write. It's a little bit nicer than the UC
A first class lounge is better than a club lounge? Shocking.
A more fair comparison would be to a Polaris lounge (yes, the CX F lounges are still better than the Polaris lounges, but not by the same wide margin.

Anyone who is not happy with UA service is not going to be happy with AA. The airline (not FF program) is worse in every respect. Their phone and gate agents are downright rude and terrible. They have more delays than anyone because their mechanics don't like AA and invent fake maintenance issues to intentionally delay flights (AA actually took the union to court over this!)

Between DL, UA, and AA, you have:

DL: worst FF program, best airline
UA: middle airline, middle FF program
AA: best FF program, worst airline

I don't think that these changes really change those rankings.

I got comped EXP status on AA and I still won't fly them. All the status in the world is useless if the airline sucks. I'll make occasional use of OWE on some partner flights (ie, I'll attach the AAdvantage number to my AS award flights on OW carriers and use the first class lounges when flying business). On the other hand, I'd switch to DL in a second if I wasn't based in SFO.

The grass is always greener... until you actually get to the other side.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Previously, I concentrated spend on UA to meet PQD thresholds. Done with that.

In 2019, I spent something like $15k flying CX TPAC while still qualifying for 1K. With the new 1K requirements, I had the option of either (a) switching some CX spend to UA (and accepting an inferior product) to clear $24k, or (b) dropping UA in favor of OW Emerald, continuing to fly CX TPAC, and enjoying the CX F lounges at HKG as an added bonus. Guess which way I'm going?
CX all the way
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The grass is always greener... until you actually get to the other side.
The grass is always greener....it's just that the cow .... is in different places
margarita girl and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A first class lounge is better than a club lounge? Shocking.
A more fair comparison would be to a Polaris lounge (yes, the CX F lounges are still better than the Polaris lounges, but not by the same wide margin.
The comparison is 100% valid in this context, since as a UA 1K I'm limited to the UC (or similar) at HKG, while as an EXP flying CX I can access the superb CX F lounges. Since I transit HKG over a dozen times a year, this is a meaningful advantage for me. (And btw, the CX J lounge at SFO is IMO better than Polaris lounge SFO, so it's a win on both ends.)
Anyone who is not happy with UA service is not going to be happy with AA.
My primary domestic destinations are NYC and PHX. AA into JFK is better for my purposes than UA into EWR, and I can fly AA OAK-PHX without having to cross the bay. So far in about a dozen flights, I've had no issues with AA ops or service. I even got a tarmac transfer at JFK (never received one of those from UA in over 1.2 MM).

My basic point is that UA encouraged me to look at the alternatives when it raised the spend threshold this year while further gutting the MP program, and for me, it turns out that AA is a better alternative. This is why smart businesses never give good customers a reason to check out the competition.
SPN Lifer, SS255, jupper and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2020 at 12:31 am Reason: removed snark
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My basic point is that UA encouraged me to look at the alternatives when it raised the spend threshold this year while further gutting the MP program, and for me, it turns out that AA is a better alternative. This is why smart businesses never give good customers a reason to check out the competition.
This. As I have probably said upthread I just did this where I would not even look at alternatives. But <sarcasm on> United has all the data and knows exactly what it is doing and I will be replaced by someone else <sarcasm off>.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2020 at 12:32 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The comparison is 100% valid in this context, since as a UA 1K I'm limited to the UC (or similar) at HKG, while as an EXP flying CX I can access the superb CX F lounges. Since I transit HKG over a dozen times a year, this is a meaningful advantage for me. (And btw, the CX J lounge at SFO is IMO better than Polaris lounge SFO, so it's a win on both ends.)
This is fair. For your travel pattern I'd choose CX as well. This has nothing to do with AA though. You're basically just noting that top Asian airlines and lounges are better than US airlines (and I agree) When I was flying UA out of NRT I skipped the UA Club and went to the NH lounge. The real issue is that there is no *A partner based in HKG.

But for international travel that is served by a *A partner, I don't think that this comparison is a good one. Note that the new changes actually allow you to fly a partner without the 016-ticket requirement and still count it towards status. This brings cheap TK business class fares (with a requirement that they be ticketed by TK) into play. I passed on one of these last year because there was no way to count it for UA status (no PQD anyway). Same with SAS -- UA won't ticket their TATL flights because they want to force you onto UA or LH. No more.. I can now fly SAS through CPH when I go to HEL (far superior PE product, which is all my employer will pay for) and count it towards status. And of course SQ has tons of cheap PE fares as well.

Some domestic road warriors have pointed out that the changes will allow them to qualify for 1k, when they previously couldn't (due to the PQM requirement going away)

I guess the point is that these changes are going to be helpful for some people and harmful for others. If I were frequently flying premium cabin to HKG I'd be using CX too (though, I'd be crediting to AS, not AA. Lounge access is nice but free flights are nicer, and the PP lounge in HKG is fine)

I find this a little hard to believe. You come across as a savvy enough traveler to consider all your options -- you don't need UA "encouragement" to do this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:28 am

Over the past 2 years I've been thanked several times for being a *A Gold while on LH Group flights. I've been thanked Zero times while on UA flights. Speaks volumes, IMHO.

While UA didn't encourage me to look elsewhere - a job location shift did - the result is the same in my case. I laugh every time I think of Smisek's statement about having flown the competition, and as a result, he thought UA was doing just fine.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
One area I can't fault UA on: been thanked as 1K numerous times in the past.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:40 am

My basic point is that UA encouraged me to look at the alternatives when it raised the spend threshold this year while further gutting the MP program...
It's becoming absurd: I am currently enjoying booking away from United and at the same time getting more PQPs for doing so.
Looks like I may qualify for 1K in 2021 after all [unexpectedly], yet spending the least amount of money with them in years, and also gaining HU top tier status as a [tiny] bonus.

Likely total spend with UA for 2020: about $5000 (instead of usual 12k to 18k), but still getting 1K.....only just.
AeRoSpaceman and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind me asking, how will you get 1K with that? I think I have this straight, and then I think I don't.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If you don't mind me asking, how will you get 1K with that? I think I have this straight, and then I think I don't.

Book cheapo *A flights credited to United.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's got to be partner flights.

For people who travel internationally, there is no longer a motivation to spend with UA vs *A partners.

Fares that give 3 PQP per dollar spent seem fairly common (particularly in PE). Much higher rates will be available on particularly good J and PE fare sales. Add that to the fact that UA tends to be relatively expensive, and "good" partner fares often have the restriction that they must be ticketed by the partner, and you could easily end up in a situation where booking on a partner gives you a lower fare, a better product, and more PQP than booking with UA. win-win-win

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.