Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Most of the time choices are not up to anyone to decide except the latest inventory where only pricey fares are available for purchases.
Agreed.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Oh Wise UA FlyerTalkers,

This Forum has grown quite large and very fast. There are lots of very informative posts and strategies to try to qualify for 1K, Plat, Gold, etc for 2021 without stumping up $24,000 to re qualify for 1K. (especially for those of us that reside abroad and in regions not served by UA where making the "Flight Segment" option is largely impossible)

As far as TATL flights, the only strategy I see in re-qualifying for 1K for 2021, might be to buy AC "P" Class on non UA (non 016) Ticket Stock. RDM Mileage Earnings are at 200% on P Class and as a preferred Partner, the "5" factor might get one close to re-qualifying for 1K at a discount over the $24K. However, I am not encouraged and will likely abandon any efforts to re qualify for 1K.

I have a dumb question, and I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in this massive forum. Will United still honor lifetime Gold status to its' Million Milers in 2021 and if so, is the only remaining qualification requirement for Million Milers to complete 4 UA Flight Segments ?

Thank you in advance for your replies and insight.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise UA FlyerTalkers,

This Forum has grown quite large and very fast. There are lots of very informative posts and strategies to try to qualify for 1K, Plat, Gold, etc for 2021 without stumping up $24,000 to re qualify for 1K. (especially for those of us that reside abroad and in regions not served by UA where making the "Flight Segment" option is largely impossible)

As far as TATL flights, the only strategy I see in re-qualifying for 1K for 2021, might be to buy AC "P" Class on non UA (non 016) Ticket Stock. RDM Mileage Earnings are at 200% on P Class and as a preferred Partner, the "5" factor might get one close to re-qualifying for 1K at a discount over the $24K. However, I am not encouraged and will likely abandon any efforts to re qualify for 1K.

I have a dumb question, and I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in this massive forum. Will United still honor lifetime Gold status to its' Million Milers in 2021 and if so, is the only remaining qualification requirement for Million Milers to complete 4 UA Flight Segments ?

I can offer no insight at all on this. But.

I must have missed the informative posts about qualifying for 1K by not meeting the minimums. I'm not being sarcastic at all here as I genuinely have!

And, what is the point of qualifying as a 1K on a non-UA ticket if you don't then get the benefits of a 1K on UA. Honestly, I am not having a go but worried that I am missing something very fundamental in this and it might be something that I should do but I just can't see it.

I am in a kinda similar boat to you so know the feeling.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Silver Fox,

Thanks for the quick response and in pointing out the fallacy of having to re-qualify for 1K on another airline, thus losing the very 1K benefits earned on UA.

1K on any other Partner is still only Gold. As a Million Miler, I already have Gold for life (or is that one of those changes the "we're really going to like" ?).
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by narvik
OPM = Other People's Money

Not sure I agree with the notion that this is usually used to describe someone who carelessly spends though.
There might be less frugalness than someone traveling on their own dime, but there's plenty of OPM travelers who care very much about their travel-budget and how much they spend on flights.
One way or another, it's almost always used to describe a purchase pattern which is different than traveling on your own dime, and usually one that results in much more expensive fares.

As a 1MM you will continue to be Premier Gold with no further requirements. You do not even need to meet the 4 segment minimum.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I must have missed the informative posts about qualifying for 1K by not meeting the minimums. I'm not being sarcastic at all here as I genuinely have!
Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

If you’re already a MillionMiler, there’s only one criterion for continued membership: a pulse.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
If you’re already a MillionMiler, there’s only one criterion for continued membership: a pulse.
For now.
ContinentalFan and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

and if the C+ class of service comes trough then gold might not be worth all that much.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as TATL flights, the only strategy I see in re-qualifying for 1K for 2021, might be to buy AC "P" Class on non UA (non 016) Ticket Stock. RDM Mileage Earnings are at 200% on P Class and as a preferred Partner, the "5" factor might get one close to re-qualifying for 1K at a discount over the $24K.
Obviously, it depends upon the fares that you’re able to find. However, if you were to fly exclusively AC P fares, you’d qualify for 1K after flying 60K BIS miles: or just 45K BIS miles, if you somehow managed to get 54 segments doing so. (This assumes that UA doesn’t adjust the AC P fares down from 200% at some point during the year).

As for why you would want to do this: as a US-based traveler, I suspect that I will qualify next year by mixing my domestic US travel, PointsPlus upgrades from discount fares on UA, and discount business class fares on partner airlines. I expect this to be cheaper than qualifying for 1K this year. An international traveler could do the same thing, but you’re likely to get less value from the 1K status because you presumably don’t have a ton of domestic US travel.

Note that *A flights will qualify as PQF, so the 54 flight segments might not be out of reach if you do a fair amount of regional travel on *A partners. You will still need four flights on UA to qualify for any status (excepting lifetime status levels, as already mentioned).

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
And, what is the point of qualifying as a 1K on a non-UA ticket if you don't then get the benefits of a 1K on UA.
You could potentially use PlusPoints on LH or NH, but generally you’ll probably do best using the program of whatever airline you plan to fly most often. The thing is, discount economy travelers are likely to find that the grass isn’t much better anywhere else. The US programs have been much more generous than their foreign counterparts for years.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The thing is, discount economy travelers are likely to find that the grass isn’t much better anywhere else. The US programs have been much more generous than their foreign counterparts for years.
For upgraded seating, I definitely agree. But I've always seen this as coming at the cost of a much worse soft product, i.e. it's not compelling enough for large numbers of people to actually spend money on premium cabins (for domestic routes especially). You don't see NH giving away F seats to elites but then again, NH F is something I'd actually pay for. For generic *G benefits on the other hand, no way. At least foreign programs always give you lounge access regardless of class of travel and route you are flying.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
At least foreign programs always give you lounge access regardless of class of travel and route you are flying.
I meant what I said.

Miles & More will happily give you *G status simply for achieving Senator.

If you’re flying on discount economy fares, you’ll need about 100K miles to achieve Senator.

While there are a couple of known sweet spots, if all you care about is *G (Asiana and Aegean), in general, if you’re flying a lot of economy fares, airlines aren’t beating down your door. I’m not saying it’s a good decision, and I’m not saying it’s a bad decision. It’s just reality.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
For upgraded seating, I definitely agree. But I've always seen this as coming at the cost of a much worse soft product, i.e. it's not compelling enough for large numbers of people to actually spend money on premium cabins (for domestic routes especially). You don't see NH giving away F seats to elites but then again, NH F is something I'd actually pay for. For generic *G benefits on the other hand, no way. At least foreign programs always give you lounge access regardless of class of travel and route you are flying.
Imagine if US legacy carriers give all elites lounge access, even on domestic only itineraries, holy crap there would lines out the door; most other carriers do not have nearly the flying network US carriers do. Chinese carriers will probably get there one day.

If lounge access is the primary motivation, nowadays all you need is to get a premium travel credit card. There is no need to fly x amount of miles and spend y amount.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you’re flying on discount economy fares, you’ll need about 100K miles to achieve Senator.
It's actually 400,000 flown miles in discount Economy, as most discount fares earn 25% of the distance (for example, anything less than W on UA).

M&M is a completely worthless program for discount Economy fliers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:45 am

With all the changes is united still keeping the tie to Marriott golf status with united gold. I find that beneficial.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I meant what I said.

Miles & More will happily give you *G status simply for achieving Senator.

While there are a couple of known sweet spots, if all you care about is *G (Asiana and Aegean), in general, if you’re flying a lot of economy fares, airlines aren’t beating down your door. I’m not saying it’s a good decision, and I’m not saying it’s a bad decision. It’s just reality.
Expect an announcement on Monday about a comprehensive overhaul to M&M. No chance to earn SEN with 100,000 Y miles in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.