Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qhd2
If I received Gold status with Aegean (or another *A member), would I still be entitled to perks like free E+ seats and two free 70-lb. bags when I fly United?
No.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:15 am

I live in Israel, pay for all flights (economy) myself, fly yearly to US (2 times), Europe (1 or 2 times) and Central Asia (1 time).

Isn't my patronage (and that of millions of other 'ordinary' frequent flyers like me) worth something to United?
How much profit do you think United earns from your 2 flights a year in economy on United metal and two or three partner flights?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skycrab
I mean, if we have to pay for business class, then we might as well go with the airline that's running a sale, or has the direct flight to the destination we are headed to, or even making it possible to fly from LCY instead of LHR (since we live 10 minutes from LCY).
I suggest that you, and all of the other foreign members who are just learning of these changes now, should review this thread: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

While I don’t disagree with your analysis, the strategy of purchasing a better business class product when it goes on sale can actually lead straight back to 1K if you restrict yourself to *A. (In LON, that admittedly means a lot of connections unless you fly frequently to *A hub cities). Discount PE can also lend itself fairly well to attaining 1K status. Note that you’d still need four UA segments. Note also that you can use your GPUs on LH...

The news is less sanguine for Economy travelers, unfortunately, due to the low number of miles that Economy earns on pretty much any partner airline.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by GregoryGardner
How much profit do you think United earns from your 2 flights a year in economy on United metal and two or three partner flights?

More than NOT flying [2 flights a year in economy on United metal and two or three partner flights] anymore.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
For the last 5+ years, I have earned Silver, often coming up a little short of Gold. I have booked all of my travel on UA or partners with fares that credit—often paying more or choosing less convenient itineraries. I've similarly ensured that my wife and 3-year-old (!) have also earned Silver. I'm the definition of a loyal customer.
I get that this earns you some money in the short-term, but those travellers wouldn't stick with you if their company wasn't paying, while I have. Isn't my patronage (and that of millions of other 'ordinary' frequent flyers like me) worth something to United?
Same here. As far as whether you're worth something to United, they have given you their answer. This isn't up for negotiation; this is their final decision. How will you respond? I know how I'm responding...

Originally Posted by chrisl137
They'll deal with it when it happens.

Back in the early 00's when planes were empty, I got comped up to Premier Exec a few times without even asking when I was ~8-10K miles short.

Depending on the situation, they'll either update the program (it if looks long term) or find ways to encourage people to fly (e.g. double PQP, extra upgrade certs, etc).
Yep, their relationship with UA is transactional, just like mine is now. It's arguably better to keep loyal customers than to try to get new ones when the economy tanks, but that doesn't pay them bonuses right now. And so, we're left with these changes.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
More than NOT flying [2 flights a year in economy on United metal and two or three partner flights] anymore.
That is assuming UA makes any profit at all for econ pax with status. The latter is an important distinction since the pax is costing UA $ even after the completion of each flight.

Originally Posted by STS-134
Yep, their relationship with UA is transactional, just like mine is now. It's arguably better to keep loyal customers than to try to get new ones when the economy tanks, but that doesn't pay them bonuses right now. And so, we're left with these changes.
It's always been transactional. We live in a transactional world; loyalty has always been a marketing term.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by GregoryGardner
In the big scheme of things, not much. But there are two reasons why they should care: (1) there are many more flyers like me and as a whole we probably do count for a significant amount of revenue and (2) our customer loyalty matters—whether it's because we may end up flying more and aiming for higher tiers or because we will stick with UA even if we switch jobs.

For example: first, only I had Silver status. But then, I encouraged my wife to get it. And this year, I made sure to have our 3-year-old fly enough to earn status. So I am directly responsible for all of their patronage of United. (And if my household total spending was combined, it would probably qualify for 1K status under the new 2020 rules next year!)

Regardless, there is certainly a way for UA to cut down on those taking advantage of cheap fares to rack up miles while also not completely disadvantaging non-business elite customers like me who live abroad.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
... (And if my household total spending was combined, it would probably qualify for 1K status under the new 2020 rules next year!)

Regardless, there is certainly a way for UA to cut down on those taking advantage of cheap fares to rack up miles while also not completely disadvantaging non-business elite customers like me who live abroad.
Frequent flyer status is conferred on individuals, not families. "My family spending would earn 1K status" is ridiculous. Individuals who spend $24,000 take up one seat each flight. A family of 3 who spends $24,000 takes up 3 seats each flight. That's two seats beyond the individual that UA can't sell. You and your two family members equals $24,000. The individual who spends $24,000 plus the two seats that UA can sell to others is worth more than your family ($24,000 + whatever revenue they get for the other two seats). That's the simplest of math you need to understand.. Your flying (while somewhat more than average) is hardly elite-level based on your description. Now that everyone's an elite, airlines are tightening up on the restrictions to place more value on money spent per individual. Two economy trips on UA a year? That's background noise to UA. It's a logical move to move from a mile-based program to a dollar-based program and to cull those who really don't fly UA that much. UA figures the shuffling of people between the airlines at the lower levels of flying will even out.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 26, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that UA has granted you several years of exemptions from the PQD requirement that US residents have faced. They weren’t interested in low-margin Premier travelers based in the US; they’re not interested in low-margin Premier travelers based abroad, either.

It shouldn’t be one’s goal to be a valued customer. That’s just another way to say “profit center.”
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skycrab
I mean, if we have to pay for business class
I can't find that iPhone emoji with the tears coming out of the eyes so this will have to do. Sorry, but UA is more interested in handing out 1K and GS to people who are a little less price sensitive. Makes sense to me.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jsloan
Keep in mind that UA has granted you several years of exemptions from the PQD requirement that US residents have faced. They weren’t interested in low-margin Premier travelers based in the US; they’re not interested in low-margin Premier travelers based abroad, either.
The PQD exemption was to entice us foreigners from flying our home carriers. And we are not all low margin premium flyers. But I have Lifetime status in both AF/KL and UA (and nearly so with BA) so I have never been 100% loyal to any carrier. That said, there have been some years recently where I made a conscious effort to make 1K and renew. I will likely never do that again.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
In the big scheme of things, not much. But there are two reasons why they should care: (1) there are many more flyers like me and as a whole we probably do count for a significant amount of revenue and (2) our customer loyalty matters—whether it's because we may end up flying more and aiming for higher tiers or because we will stick with UA even if we switch jobs.

For example: first, only I had Silver status. But then, I encouraged my wife to get it. And this year, I made sure to have our 3-year-old fly enough to earn status. So I am directly responsible for all of their patronage of United. (And if my household total spending was combined, it would probably qualify for 1K status under the new 2020 rules next year!)

Once you are responsible for tens of millions of dollars of revenue ... then UA will take notice. A family of silvers isn't worth much if anything to UA.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
The PQD exemption was to entice us foreigners from flying our home carriers. And we are not all low margin premium flyers. But I have Lifetime status in both AF/KL and UA (and nearly so with BA) so I have never been 100% loyal to any carrier. That said, there have been some years recently where I made a conscious effort to make 1K and renew. I will likely never do that again.
Why is enticing foreign travelers from a home carrier any different than enticing a domestic traveler from DL/AA/AS/WN/B6?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA
But multiply that across the many, many others who hold lower tiers of status. And of course, a family of silvers is worth something more than that family flying a different carrier ...

Again, I understand the desire to thin out the elite levels and the revenue considerations—but I also think it's a long-term mistake for UA (and this forum) to focus only on 1K.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But multiply that across the many, many others who hold lower tiers of status. And of course, a family of silvers is worth something more than that family flying a different carrier ...
UA, who has this data, disagrees. And, there will still be plenty of Silver members; perhaps entire families. They may just be people who have no status today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.