Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The population of non-opm elites just went down to zero.
I would not conclude that in the slightest bit. I have attained DL Plat with MQD of 7,500 but actual out-of-pocket of much less than that (could have gone for Diamond if I really wanted to). With partner flights in-play now in the UA MP program, there are ways you can still attain the same tier level as before, but spend way less than before.

I fly almost exclusively on my own dimes.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm not angry about this change. As you note, it's UA's program and they can run it any way they like. That said, it seems odd that they are tilting status towards the short haul domestic customer and away from the long haul international customer, but as noted, it's their airline.
The long haul, international customer that is buying business or first class tickets is actually the biggest beneficiary of the change... I will actually consider United for international work trips now because status seems easier to attain. That could lead me to switch my loyalty over to United from Delta if I could get over going to Newark.
richarddd likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would not conclude that in the slightest bit. I have attained DL Plat with MQD of 7,500 but actual out-of-pocket of much less than that (could have gone for Diamond if I really wanted to). With partner flights in-play now, there are ways you can still attain the same tier level as before, but spend way less than before.

I fly almost exclusively on my own dimes.
I guarantee UA will change (lower) partner RDM earning rates by 2021.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
So if I'm understanding this correctly, PQP = EQDs now.

I'm at 47 PQS right now with only $6884 EQD, and 56K EQM.
So going by the new qualification criteria I won't even make Gold. Amazing.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I status matched to DL this year (plat) and should make the challenge to stay plat, so I'll have UA and DL plat through Jan 2021. Even booked a trips on AA and WN coming up. But, honestly, I'm just gonna book the best airline for each trip going forward. It's somewhat freeing to just fly whatever works best.
demkr likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Frankly, I'm not at all surprised by these changes and they make sense (IMHO).

The valuable fliers to UA are not so much the ones who make a small number of trips to Singapore and then stack the fare code for the most miles. They aren't generating all that much revenue and earnings for UA and yet have found a way to carve out 1K status. UA's liability to them in future award flights is out-sized compared to the value they bring to the airline.

Contrast that with real road warriors who are flying a lot, often on high-priced last minute tickets, yet struggle to reach 100K miles. They are providing far more to UA's bottom line.

Very few people are making 120 segments in a year. Yes, there are a small number on here who do but the vast majority of 1Ks who post here are not and many are not really spending $15K is actual dollars (no markups by fare class). Eliminating this 120 segment hurdle is inconsequential for most.

In the end, UA wants people who fly them a lot (54 segments is not all that much) and spend a lot ($18K certainly is a lot). That they provide enhanced ways to do this through the *A helps those get there whos travel is largely international.
elbejt2, mrmoo, chemengin and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Even with OPM, I am trying to figure out how I get to the segments. If I stay with UA, this DEFINITELY makes HPN/LGA a benefit, as EWR only flies direct! :-P
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
In the end, UA wants people who fly them a lot (54 segments is not all that much) and spend a lot ($18K certainly is a lot). That they provide enhanced ways to do this through the *A helps those get there who's travel is largely international.
I know a ton of people who do 10 or so international J trips a year, spend about 18K or so, and thus do about 40 segments. This KILLS them. They WERE doing that spending on UA...now, I have no idea why they would continue. This seems to be great for the high value consultant, but NOT for the once a month trade show guy/gal who flies up front.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Delta will follow and not lead for a change. In my perverse way of thinking, I am glad to see United leading.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I know a ton of people who do 10 or so international J trips a year, spend about 18K or so, and thus do about 40 segments. This KILLS them. They WERE doing that spending on UA...now, I have no idea why they would continue. This seems to be great for the high value consultant, but NOT for the once a month trade show guy/gal who flies up front.
Which international J trips price at that level - I just looked, for next year, EWR to LHR and CDG are pricing $6,000 or more round trip in J
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by joelfreak
but NOT for the once a month trade show guy/gal who flies up front.
In general, there are few incentives to be loyal if you are flying front all the time.
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
In general, there are few incentives to be loyal if you are flying front all the time.
UA has ALWAYS treated me VERY well with IRROPS, upgrades, etc, even though when I fly internationally I am in paid J (more like P). But as I was making the bulk of my miles with that travel, and thus not segments, I have no idea how I make this current number. AFAIK, my spend requirement is now 24k!!!! That is unless I start to do segment runs?
mechteach likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:31 am

Ok, so this is about the new qualification requirements and I realize that they have just been announced. Still, can someone look at this calculation and tell me if it seems about right:
- Flying SQ in PE earns 100% award miles on United?
- So, on a EWR-SIN ticket I should be earning about 19000 award miles
- 19000 / 6 = 3160 new PQP points? (obviously not buying the ticket through UA).
Anything I am missing here?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Which international J trips price at that level - I just looked, for next year, EWR to LHR and CDG are pricing $6,000 or more round trip in J
There are usually always deals to EU at about 2500-3k per flight, sometimes better. As I stated before, even with the spend, I have no idea how I get to segments...and I am a guy that LIKES flying UA long haul J. I did HKG, NRT, SIN and MEL all in J this year alone from NY.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well I know changes work differently for each person, but in general this will bode well for me. I am currently at 30K PQM with 120 PQS (and not the PQM threshold). This way I can qualify for 1K a bit faster via spend - my guess is 18 PQP + 54 PQF.

I welcome the culling of 1K ranks.

Now for me, what will happen to DL - usually they lead the way to raising spend requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.