FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1990845-new-premier-qualification-requirements-2020-only-spend-spend-flight-sectors.html)

Repooc17 Oct 11, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31616284)
The population of non-opm elites just went down to zero.

I would not conclude that in the slightest bit. I have attained DL Plat with MQD of 7,500 but actual out-of-pocket of much less than that (could have gone for Diamond if I really wanted to). With partner flights in-play now in the UA MP program, there are ways you can still attain the same tier level as before, but spend way less than before.

I fly almost exclusively on my own dimes.

Adelphos Oct 11, 2019 7:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 31616362)
I'm not angry about this change. As you note, it's UA's program and they can run it any way they like. That said, it seems odd that they are tilting status towards the short haul domestic customer and away from the long haul international customer, but as noted, it's their airline.

The long haul, international customer that is buying business or first class tickets is actually the biggest beneficiary of the change... I will actually consider United for international work trips now because status seems easier to attain. That could lead me to switch my loyalty over to United from Delta if I could get over going to Newark.

dinoscool3 Oct 11, 2019 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31616388)
I would not conclude that in the slightest bit. I have attained DL Plat with MQD of 7,500 but actual out-of-pocket of much less than that (could have gone for Diamond if I really wanted to). With partner flights in-play now, there are ways you can still attain the same tier level as before, but spend way less than before.

I fly almost exclusively on my own dimes.

I guarantee UA will change (lower) partner RDM earning rates by 2021.

secretalcoholic Oct 11, 2019 7:10 am

So if I'm understanding this correctly, PQP = EQDs now.

I'm at 47 PQS right now with only $6884 EQD, and 56K EQM.
So going by the new qualification criteria I won't even make Gold. Amazing.

smxflyer Oct 11, 2019 7:12 am

I status matched to DL this year (plat) and should make the challenge to stay plat, so I'll have UA and DL plat through Jan 2021. Even booked a trips on AA and WN coming up. But, honestly, I'm just gonna book the best airline for each trip going forward. It's somewhat freeing to just fly whatever works best.

JimInOhio Oct 11, 2019 7:15 am

Frankly, I'm not at all surprised by these changes and they make sense (IMHO).

The valuable fliers to UA are not so much the ones who make a small number of trips to Singapore and then stack the fare code for the most miles. They aren't generating all that much revenue and earnings for UA and yet have found a way to carve out 1K status. UA's liability to them in future award flights is out-sized compared to the value they bring to the airline.

Contrast that with real road warriors who are flying a lot, often on high-priced last minute tickets, yet struggle to reach 100K miles. They are providing far more to UA's bottom line.

Very few people are making 120 segments in a year. Yes, there are a small number on here who do but the vast majority of 1Ks who post here are not and many are not really spending $15K is actual dollars (no markups by fare class). Eliminating this 120 segment hurdle is inconsequential for most.

In the end, UA wants people who fly them a lot (54 segments is not all that much) and spend a lot ($18K certainly is a lot). That they provide enhanced ways to do this through the *A helps those get there whos travel is largely international.

joelfreak Oct 11, 2019 7:15 am

Even with OPM, I am trying to figure out how I get to the segments. If I stay with UA, this DEFINITELY makes HPN/LGA a benefit, as EWR only flies direct! :-P

joelfreak Oct 11, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 31616408)
In the end, UA wants people who fly them a lot (54 segments is not all that much) and spend a lot ($18K certainly is a lot). That they provide enhanced ways to do this through the *A helps those get there who's travel is largely international.

I know a ton of people who do 10 or so international J trips a year, spend about 18K or so, and thus do about 40 segments. This KILLS them. They WERE doing that spending on UA...now, I have no idea why they would continue. This seems to be great for the high value consultant, but NOT for the once a month trade show guy/gal who flies up front.

GRALISTAIR Oct 11, 2019 7:24 am

Delta will follow and not lead for a change. In my perverse way of thinking, I am glad to see United leading.

Adelphos Oct 11, 2019 7:25 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak (Post 31616421)
I know a ton of people who do 10 or so international J trips a year, spend about 18K or so, and thus do about 40 segments. This KILLS them. They WERE doing that spending on UA...now, I have no idea why they would continue. This seems to be great for the high value consultant, but NOT for the once a month trade show guy/gal who flies up front.

Which international J trips price at that level - I just looked, for next year, EWR to LHR and CDG are pricing $6,000 or more round trip in J

Repooc17 Oct 11, 2019 7:27 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak (Post 31616421)
but NOT for the once a month trade show guy/gal who flies up front.

In general, there are few incentives to be loyal if you are flying front all the time.

joelfreak Oct 11, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31616456)
In general, there are few incentives to be loyal if you are flying front all the time.

UA has ALWAYS treated me VERY well with IRROPS, upgrades, etc, even though when I fly internationally I am in paid J (more like P). But as I was making the bulk of my miles with that travel, and thus not segments, I have no idea how I make this current number. AFAIK, my spend requirement is now 24k!!!! That is unless I start to do segment runs?

tr3k Oct 11, 2019 7:31 am

Ok, so this is about the new qualification requirements and I realize that they have just been announced. Still, can someone look at this calculation and tell me if it seems about right:
- Flying SQ in PE earns 100% award miles on United?
- So, on a EWR-SIN ticket I should be earning about 19000 award miles
- 19000 / 6 = 3160 new PQP points? (obviously not buying the ticket through UA).
Anything I am missing here?

joelfreak Oct 11, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 31616443)
Which international J trips price at that level - I just looked, for next year, EWR to LHR and CDG are pricing $6,000 or more round trip in J

There are usually always deals to EU at about 2500-3k per flight, sometimes better. As I stated before, even with the spend, I have no idea how I get to segments...and I am a guy that LIKES flying UA long haul J. I did HKG, NRT, SIN and MEL all in J this year alone from NY.

mnredfox Oct 11, 2019 7:33 am

Well I know changes work differently for each person, but in general this will bode well for me. I am currently at 30K PQM with 120 PQS (and not the PQM threshold). This way I can qualify for 1K a bit faster via spend - my guess is 18 PQP + 54 PQF.

I welcome the culling of 1K ranks.

Now for me, what will happen to DL - usually they lead the way to raising spend requirements.