FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   1K changes off PNR with family one way - what happens to E+? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1990708-1k-changes-off-pnr-family-one-way-what-happens-e.html)

GYEWorldTraveler Oct 9, 2019 6:17 pm

1K changes off PNR with family one way - what happens to E+?

I don’t have experience with this on UA until today when unfortunately I needed to break off the return of a short domestic trip from the rest of my family. They all have no status and were seated in E+ with me but I’m a little worried that now that my trip has been extended 2 days that they may have issues, be asked to pay or get put into seats that are not together. I still see their E+ seats sticking but curious if anyone has experience with this and what I should expect? There are not 3 normal economy seats together which has me a bit worried.

Kacee Oct 9, 2019 6:32 pm

They should be able to keep the seats without charge. If there's an aircraft swap or other change resulting in seating reassignment, they will be booted back to E-.

mahasamatman Oct 9, 2019 6:33 pm

If United runs a sweep, they could lose their E+ seats. There's no way to know if or when they will do so, however.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 9, 2019 6:49 pm

Hopefully they’re not checking bags on the way back, either....

GYEWorldTraveler Oct 9, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31611247)
Hopefully they’re not checking bags on the way back, either....

Yikes - I forgot about that part! They fly Friday morning and would generally check one bag each but 2 are carryon size - probably can consolidate to 1 checked bag that has the large liquids. I will feel bad though as wife would have 2 roller bags, a YoYo stroller and kids backpacks to worry about. Probably worth it to fork over the first checked bag fee.

Another question - if I buy the TOD upgrade which appears to be $104 right now per person (block time just over 2 hours) does that give them free checked bags?

kale73 Oct 9, 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 31611284)
Another question - if I buy the TOD upgrade which appears to be $104 right now per person (block time just over 2 hours) does that give them free checked bags?

Yup.

ryman554 Oct 10, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 31611284)
Yikes - I forgot about that part! They fly Friday morning and would generally check one bag each but 2 are carryon size - probably can consolidate to 1 checked bag that has the large liquids. I will feel bad though as wife would have 2 roller bags, a YoYo stroller and kids backpacks to worry about. Probably worth it to fork over the first checked bag fee.

You would pay <n>*$104 to save $30 in bag fees? You are only paying the fee one way.... and you can't just buy an upgrade for one, leaving unattended minors behind.

Traveling with kids alone is best done in economy. The seat arms flip up, and your kiddos (and parent) can enjoy the bench of 3 seats. Since kids are small, there is a lot of room and ability to cuddle/snuggle that you can't do in FC.

AceReport Oct 10, 2019 11:00 am

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 31611184)
I don’t have experience with this on UA until today when unfortunately I needed to break off the return of a short domestic trip from the rest of my family. They all have no status and were seated in E+ with me but I’m a little worried that now that my trip has been extended 2 days that they may have issues, be asked to pay or get put into seats that are not together. I still see their E+ seats sticking but curious if anyone has experience with this and what I should expect? There are not 3 normal economy seats together which has me a bit worried.

For the outbound if their seats get moved prior to T-24 you can call the 1K line and they will put them with you in E+. For their separate return other than paying for E+ or domestic F no guarantees.

As others have mentioned I personally prefer E +/- seats when traveling with my 2yrold and his YoYo. Having that arm fold up is convenient. I would personally fork out for more checked bags rather than deal with kids, stroller, extra luggage in the airport(s).

ryman554 Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by AceReport (Post 31613499)
As others have mentioned I personally prefer E +/- seats when traveling with my 2yrold and his YoYo. Having that arm fold up is convenient. I would personally fork out for more checked bags rather than deal with kids, stroller, extra luggage in the airport(s).

United lets me check luggage and strollers, but not kids. Can you forward the name of the airline that lets you check kids? I really want to fly them in the future..... =)

kale73 Oct 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 (Post 31614352)
United lets me check luggage and strollers, but not kids. Can you forward the name of the airline that lets you check kids? I really want to fly them in the future..... =)

Kids are an important part of your family, and KidSafe® is here to get your son or daughter where they need to be safely and comfortably. If your kid can’t travel in the cabin with you, you can use KidSafe to transport them to nearly 300 destinations. Our team loves children as much as you do and will care for your kids throughout their entire journey.