Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flight Delayed, ticket on *A ticket Stock, who's responsible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

I've got an itinerary that's on 086 stock. The ticket to Oz is operated by UA, and the return is operated by NZ.
The flight to SFO from my origin is delayed and will cause a misconnect at SFO to the Australia flight and force an overnight.
UA is telling me they cannot do anything at the origin station because I haven't flown yet and NZ has control, and thus they (UA) have received no money.
Not believing them, they swiveled the screen around to show my segments in SHARES and after each of my outbound segments it says NZ CNTRL
What they're saying is I either need to deal with NZ now at the origin, or if I fly to SFO, UA can help me as they will actually have control of that ticket. Is that correct?
Is there any way to push or pull control over to UA before lifting the first coupon?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Late delivering carrier is responsible for fixing onward transportation... If UA is operating the delayed flight they'll ultimately be responsible for fixing it, but res likely can't/won't by policy until the misconnect is certain (e.g. until you're in SFO or you're not in SFO and the other flight has departed).

At this point your best bet is to talk to an agent at the originating station (who has a better situational view and can be more positive they you will misconnect) or call the issuer of the ticket
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by dparkinson
I've got an itinerary that's on 086 stock. The ticket to Oz is operated by UA, and the return is operated by NZ.
The flight to SFO from my origin is delayed and will cause a misconnect at SFO to the Australia flight and force an overnight.
UA is telling me they cannot do anything at the origin station because I haven't flown yet and NZ has control, and thus they (UA) have received no money.
Not believing them, they swiveled the screen around to show my segments in SHARES and after each of my outbound segments it says NZ CNTRL
What they're saying is I either need to deal with NZ now at the origin, or if I fly to SFO, UA can help me as they will actually have control of that ticket. Is that correct?
Is there any way to push or pull control over to UA before lifting the first coupon?
I'm a little confused. Is the entire trip to Oz on one ticket? If so, UA should have control (or can easily obtain control) of the coupons for the journey to reroute you as needed. Worst case, the UA agent simply needs to call the Help Desk to get everything done. If the airport agents are acting brand new to realities of IRROPS, call the Premier Desk or Reservations to get the trip sorted out.

If your SFO-Oz flights are on a separate ticket than your XXX-SFO flight, then UA is not at all bound to help. That said, merciful UA agent can still pull control of the coupons, rebook you, then call NZ to clean up the NZ PNR.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is there a NZ counter at your origin station with agents working it? Another option is to call NZ reservations - in either case:

1. instruct them to push control to UA for rebooking
2. handle the rebooking themselves (less likely)
or
the only other outcome is United rebooks you after you misconnect, either on arrival at SFO or proactively while you're enroute.

If you can get wifi access enroute to SFO, work with the UA twitter or FB person to get your flight rebooked so it's done before you land in SFO.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
I'm a little confused.
I can't follow either. Best answers require full details on the itinerary.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe UA should be able to get control of the ticket if they really want to.. as mentioned your best bet is to talk someone in ORD into helping you.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What is it you want done? What alternative will you propose?
While the agent was technically correct, generally reasonable things can get done.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is telling me they cannot do anything at the origin station because I haven't flown yet and NZ has control,...
Originally Posted by Kacee
I can't follow either. Best answers require full details on the itinerary.
The Air NZ ORD mistake fare?

[PREM FARE GONE] ORD-SYD NZ $1500 RT biz
Terrific.
For anyone who has flown...what happened with voluntary changes after the first segment was flown? Any success just paying change fee?
Help me decipher fare rules (NZ but any guidance is helpful.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is it you want done? What alternative will you propose?
While the agent was technically correct, generally reasonable things can get done.
The agent is not at all correct. Within 48 hours of departure, schedule disruptions and IRROPS are the responsibility of the operating airline. The agent and/or supe came up with an utterly BS excuse to not help the OP, and it worked in getting the OP to go away for now. Obtaining coupon control from another *A carrier is a *very* easy exercise...it's done through fairly simple agent computer commands at the airport, or worst case by a 2 minute call to the helpdesk.

What's also true is waiting until SFO to fix things may yield far worse results. If the OP won't arrive SFO in time for the UA flights Downunder, s/he is looking at some time-consuming reroutes through Asia (e.g., SFO-SIN/HND/TPE-Oz) to keep moving tonight.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Any updates?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Within 48 hours of departure, schedule disruptions and IRROPS are the responsibility of the operating airline.
Can you provide a reference for your "with 48 hours" assertion?

I always thought it was a different number, but it was just a casual notion, I don't know of any reference for it.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mduell

I always thought it was a different number, but it was just a casual notion, I don't know of any reference for it.
I always thought it was when OLCI opens, which is usually (but not on all carriers) 24 hours before scheduled departure of the first flight.

AFAIK OP hasn't said when the travel date is.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by mduell

At 48 hours before departure, scheduled flights are transitioned into the operating airline's departure control system, meaning 1) the operating carrier has full access to the relevant e-ticket; 2) most flight activities going forward will take place in the DCS (this is why, for example, many airlines require 48 hours advance notice for purchased seats, special meals, etc. -- those transactions often take place in the res system); and 3) Given #2 , availability info in res systems is often inaccurate for many airlines within T-48.

Air Canada explicitly states the operating carrier should be consulted within T-48. IMHO other carriers should also make this clear in order to set proper expectations, but the world is what it is.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I always thought it was when OLCI opens, which is usually (but not on all carriers) 24 hours before scheduled departure of the first flight.

AFAIK OP hasn't said when the travel date is.
FWIW and OT but the 24 hours is actually a TSA requirement (maximum) for flights originating from or destined to the US (probably also those operated by a US-flagged carrier but I don't feel like looking it up right now) -- for carriers that have minimal operations touching the US there can be significant variation -- e.g. MIAT, Mongolia's flag carrier, does OLCI from 48 hours down to 2 hours before departure. Aer Lingus allows for OLCI from 30 days prior to departure for routes within Europe, but does 24-2 hours for TATL flights.

I've always wondered what security reasoning TSA has behind imposing the 24 hour maximum check-in time... but I also am not sure what the advantage to checking in weeks before my flight would be either.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OLCI is often the point where seat selection becomes free, so some people prefer to check in as early as possible for that reason. T-48 can be easier than T-24 if you need/want access to a printer when traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.