Removing mileage plus number at gate

Old Oct 9, 19, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K AC: 50K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Gold
Removing mileage plus number at gate

After having planned my 1MM flight with great precision, a last minute trip has come up which will completely squash my plans. Will it be possible for me to remove my MP number at the gate without losing my E+ seat assignment?
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:37 am

Is your 1MM precision worth removing your MP number from the reservation now, and buying up to E+? Or flying on another airline?
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpezaris View Post
Is your 1MM precision worth removing your MP number from the reservation now, and buying up to E+? Or flying on another airline?
No. Not really. I would prefer to not credit if possible but otherwise OAL times don't work in this case. So I will probably suck it up and book an MR on the route I want.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can you fly your short notice trip on another carrier? Like WN if domestic? That way you get where you're going but don't mess up your plans. Seems overly complicated to mess with an MP number rather than just fly with someone else...if the MM flight is that important to you.
expressboy likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Yes, you can switch the number at the gate. The process has gotten harder for agents in recent years, but nonetheless they are able to do it, it just takes a couple of minutes. Unless the agent is SUPER picky, you probably won't have any issues losing your seat assignment. Another option I suggest is instead of changing your number at the gate, go and explain the situation to the agents at the gate, have them remove the number, and then request credit for the fight after you have made your million miler flight.
expressboy and AceReport like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoDestinations View Post
Yes, you can switch the number at the gate. The process has gotten harder for agents in recent years, but nonetheless they are able to do it, it just takes a couple of minutes. Unless the agent is SUPER picky, you probably won't have any issues losing your seat assignment. Another option I suggest is instead of changing your number at the gate, go and explain the situation to the agents at the gate, have them remove the number, and then request credit for the fight after you have made your million miler flight.
Yes. This is exactly what I was planning to do (remove the number). Will report back on how it goes.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This may not happen to everyone, but when I was about to take my 2MM and 3MM flights (1MM was so long ago I forgot) the gate and UC had gifts/cards and recognition waiting for me at both stations of the RT. This potentially rains on everyones parade if they plan something for you ahead of time and you hit them with a - uh, no thanks take my number off
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
This may not happen to everyone, but when I was about to take my 2MM and 3MM flights (1MM was so long ago I forgot) the gate and UC had gifts/cards and recognition waiting for me at both stations of the RT. This potentially rains on everyones parade if they plan something for you ahead of time and you hit them with a - uh, no thanks take my number off
Haha. Yes that would be bad. I am ~4K miles away right now and my planned 1MM flight is 3 weeks away from this one.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Wow I simply don’t understand the logic for this.
mrmoo, TerryK, DutchessPDX and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
Wow I simply donít understand the logic for this.

Really?
Some make a HUGE deal about their Birthdays, while others do not, and I reckon crossing 1MM is even more rare than a Birthday.

When I crossed 1MM I wasn't even aware of it, and there was no mention by UA at all.
Fine by me, but I don't begrudge anyone wanting to celebrate it.
AceReport and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:24 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
And I thought I had problems...
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Really?
Some make a HUGE deal about their Birthdays, while others do not, and I reckon crossing 1MM is even more rare than a Birthday.

When I crossed 1MM I wasn't even aware of it, and there was no mention by UA at all.
Fine by me, but I don't begrudge anyone wanting to celebrate it.
Count me in the camp that doesn't understand this either. The actual MM flight for the OP will happen when it happens...as in they'll actually hit the milestone when they tally the miles no matter what leg it is. Making it appear to UA or fooling yourself that its not happening when it really is is sorta dumb. Its like a fellow who found out its going to snow on his December birthday so then he wants to act like its in July because he wants to have cake and ice cream on a hot sunny day instead of snowy one. Yes- you can celebrate when you want but the actual birthday still happened when it did, just like the MM milestone will truly happen when it does. In this case the only way to actually hit this milestone on the desired flight is to fly it as it is, re-shuffle the UA itin to hit on the desire leg after changes, or fly another carrier. Fooling yourself is just that. Not being argumentative and don't care, just my take on this.
expressboy and iluv2fly like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Yes- you can celebrate when you want but the actual birthday still happened when it did, just like the MM milestone will truly happen when it does.
Well, not really. With many, didn't the merger UA/CO screw up the "actual" number anyway?
If one is born in NZ and now live in Hawaii, on which day would one celebrate Birthday?

It's all relative.
expressboy likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
... I reckon crossing 1MM is even more rare than a Birthday.....
If crossing a MM mark is NOT more rare than a birthday, someone if flying WAY too much

Also, it is possible that nothing special will happen at all at the MM flight. I sat next to a guy on his 3MM flight. SFO-PHL. There was zero recognition and the FA was unaware when I made a subtle comment on his behalf. Though on his previous flight, HKG-SFO, the FA did say something.
expressboy likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I had my 1MM flight earlier this year and there was zero recognition on the flight (which happened to be between LAX-EWR). So I certainly wouldn't try to plan out a specific route or timing only to find yourself being disappointed!
wcj1 and expressboy like this.

Search this Thread