Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Channel 9 coming to sCO 757-200s (75B) and other changes

Channel 9 coming to sCO 757-200s (75B) and other changes

Old Oct 9, 19, 8:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,112
Channel 9 coming to sCO 757-200s (75B) and other changes

Reported elsewhere, but the 40 757-224s in the fleet will be reconfigured (seen at Version 3 here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/757-200.html) and refreshed over the next year to add the following:

- new carpets throughout, refreshed galleys/lavs
- refurbished J cabin, same seats but refreshed equipment, new seat covers, Polaris branding panel
- New slimline Y seats (Rockwell Collins Meridian same as 737MAX) in 42E+/118Y (+10Y, same number of E+)
- New IFE with USB and aft-facing outlets nose-to-tail
- Channel 9 (!)

Current 757 E+ is the best in the fleet so I will be sorry to see it go, but those airplanes seriously need some TLC. Suggests to me that UA intends to keep all 40 of these airplanes around for at least another 4-6 years, pending Boeing's eventual 797 launch and/or a A321XLR order (I'm less optimistic about that).
aindfan and narvik like this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:54 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
So UA's "solution" is same outdated J seats with new seat covers, 25 year old lavs, plus slimlined Y. Awesome.
Daze likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,876
In fairness, can you fit 16 all-aisle-access seats forward of door 2? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not really interested in paying big $$$ for aisle access if it means a lower-density layout. The Diamond seat is IME good enough.
findark is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,618
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
So UA's "solution" is same outdated J seats with new seat covers, 25 year old lavs, plus slimlined Y. Awesome.
Unfortunately... what's the realistic alternative? Much as I hate to say it (757 forever!) - these birds aren't getting any younger. They've got - at most - 6-8 years of useful life left.

So what would the ROI be on a tip-to-tail refurb?

As for the Y seats... if I remember correctly, these are still Koito seats. They have to go. Were it not for that, I doubt they'd even be replacing those.

Otherwise, this is a fairly straightforward spit & polish job. At least make those birds look not-so-rundown.

To be fair to United, they've done an extremely good job IMO of getting the worst of the fleet up to snuff since the merger. Remember how bad the 763 "ghetto birds" were? At the time, these 757's were looking pretty good in comparison. They've spent the last 8-9 years addressing the worst of it, now it's cycling around to their time.

Given where United Continental Holdings started, I'd say the fleet looks pretty good right now. These 757's are the worst of it (and are still tolerable), followed probably by the 738's, whose time for refresh I'm sure is coming soon .... All in all, compared to where we were in 2010 - this ain't so bad. :-)
dmurphynj is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago IL US
Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Posts: 730
752 J density and seats are fine. In fact, it's one of my favorite cabins in the fleet TATL or even on the occasional mid-con. Don't mess with a good thing?
onthesam is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,876
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
To be fair to United, they've done an extremely good job IMO of getting the worst of the fleet up to snuff since the merger. Remember how bad the 763 "ghetto birds" were? At the time, these 757's were looking pretty good in comparison. They've spent the last 8-9 years addressing the worst of it, now it's cycling around to their time.
I bet the window at 1F on N502UA is still loose though
EWR764 likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:24 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,112
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
So UA's "solution" is same outdated J seats with new seat covers, 25 year old lavs, plus slimlined Y. Awesome.
I take a more sanguine look at it... at least UA recognizes that the current paxex is inadequate, and this is a fairly substantial investment. The status quo (interiors visibly worn-out, shabby seats, often non-functioning IFE) is just not competitive.

If the floors, sinks, surfaces and lighting in the lavs are all updated (probably everything is new except the plumbing) is it really still a 25 year old lav, from the passenger's perspective?

The J seats aren't great, but given the fact that they are primarily in the domestic network now, rather than on frontline international service in significant volume like EWR-LHR, I think it's a good development. I wouldn't prefer (for instance) the Thompson coffins, which are about the only other true flat product I can think of that are actually deployed on other 757s.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
As for the Y seats... if I remember correctly, these are still Koito seats. They have to go. Were it not for that, I doubt they'd even be replacing those.
B/E Aerospace Spectrum seats, dating from 2006-2007, IIRC, when CO first started to refit the domestic fleet to international.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:45 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,157
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Reported elsewhere, but the 40 757-224s in the fleet will be reconfigured (seen at Version 3 here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/757-200.html) and refreshed over the next year to add the following:

- new carpets throughout, refreshed galleys/lavs
- refurbished J cabin, same seats but refreshed equipment, new seat covers, Polaris branding panel
- New slimline Y seats (Rockwell Collins Meridian same as 737MAX) in 42E+/118Y (+10Y, same number of E+)
- New IFE with USB and aft-facing outlets nose-to-tail
- Channel 9 (!)

Current 757 E+ is the best in the fleet so I will be sorry to see it go, but those airplanes seriously need some TLC. Suggests to me that UA intends to keep all 40 of these airplanes around for at least another 4-6 years, pending Boeing's eventual 797 launch and/or a A321XLR order (I'm less optimistic about that).
The E+ is reduced from 45 to 42, while E is increased by 10. The net is 7 extra seats in economy cabin.
EWR764 likes this.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:49 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,112
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
The E+ is reduced from 45 to 42, while E is increased by 10. The net is 7 extra seats in economy cabin.
Apparently I can neither read nor count.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:53 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I take a more sanguine look at it... at least UA recognizes that the current paxex is inadequate, and this is a fairly substantial investment. The status quo (interiors visibly worn-out, shabby seats, often non-functioning IFE) is just not competitive.
We are in complete agreement here. I guess I'm just disappointed that UA has still not figured out a replacement aircraft for the t-con routes, which means we are likely to continue seeing the horrific 77Gs, and likely in greater frequency, particularly during the refit period. Personally, I'd like to see a dedicated widebody along the lines of the 76L.
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
If the floors, sinks, surfaces and lighting in the lavs are all updated (probably everything is new except the plumbing) is it really still a 25 year old lav, from the passenger's perspective?
Is that what they're going to do? Many of their refurbs have not included new lav surfaces.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,157
Based upon the V3 seat map, would it be better to make row 20 E and row 22 E+ because row 20 has zero recline while row 22 can recline? This means that both rows 20 and 21 will move forwards by 3" for the change..
Kmxu is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:14 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,112
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Is that what they're going to do? Many of their refurbs have not included new lav surfaces.
I can confirm this will be the case. LED lights, new sinks, new floors, new surfaces. And, in more good news, there is no slimlav product on the market for the 757-200, which still uses a 'blue water' system (not modular). So the lav unit itself physically will not change.

I've flown the Meridian seat twice and found it to recline better (more comfortably, translating seat pan) than other SL products and felt pretty roomy. RC advertises 30" pitch for equivalent 32" pitch personal space from predecessor models. Never got out the tape measure, but I think it's better than the UA 737NG slimline product and definitely more comfortable than the Airbus Recaros. A "best of the worst" scenario, I guess.
greg99, narvik and Kacee like this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:23 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 118
If they can hold off for another 6 months to a year, can they use the Diamond seats coming off of the 787s? Regardless, thre wont be much difference between a newer used seat and an older seat with a new cover on it. But it would help to extend the life of seats on the 787s that havent been in service for that long.
Meola10 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BDL/BOS
Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Posts: 1,591
fantastic news. long live channel 9.

agreed that this investment is a harbinger of a 797 order, and similarly decreases the chances of seeing the MAX10 with lie-flats flying p.s.
greg99 and ual744777sta like this.
riphamilton is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:00 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Posts: 47,769
I would think the 763 has better E+ than the current or future 752. Wider seats, and many in pairs instead of 3s

Will the new 752 have screens in Y?
uastarflyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread