Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Channel 9 coming to sCO 757-200s (75B) and other changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Channel 9 coming to sCO 757-200s (75B) and other changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
fantastic news. long live channel 9.

agreed that this investment is a harbinger of a 797 order, and similarly decreases the chances of seeing the MAX10 with lie-flats flying p.s.
UA has said they would install some lie-flats on the MAX 10, so I don’t see why this would change those plans.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I would think the 763 has better E+ than the current or future 752. Wider seats, and many in pairs instead of 3’s

Will the new 752 have screens in Y?
True, but the 37" pitch and greater recline make it a pretty close match, IMO. 8F is my favorite Y seat in the NB fleet so I will be sad to see it go.

Yes to TVs... an all-new IFE suite (Panasonic eX1) will be installed.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
UA has said they would install some lie-flats on the MAX 10, so I don’t see why this would change those plans.
Agreed, I don't think this has anything to do with the MAX10; there are still some missions that only the 757 can handle, for now, and this new interior is probably just to bridge the gap to the first 797 deliveries, IF Boeing/United go that route... the status quo is unacceptable.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:17 pm

I thought AA/DL both have the same B/E seats on their transcon narrowbodies. What makes UA's BE seat worse? Is it just the seat covers? Decor?
Obviously Mint is different. Perhaps UA can invest in a new interior, but the payoff period is too short to make it worthwhile.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
The J seats aren't great, but given the fact that they are primarily in the domestic network now, rather than on frontline international service in significant volume like EWR-LHR, I think it's a good development. I wouldn't prefer (for instance) the Thompson coffins, which are about the only other true flat product I can think of that are actually deployed on other 757s.

B/E Aerospace Spectrum seats, dating from 2006-2007, IIRC, when CO first started to refit the domestic fleet to international.
It wasn't that long ago that those lie-flats were the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, I just took a 757 back from SFO a couple weeks ago and have to say, I really struggle to complain about them. They're comfy and make the ~7 hours fly by. Maybe I'm just jaded at this point but as long as I'm comfy I can be productive, take a nap, enjoy a meal or whatever; the J seats as they are give me my day back. Throw a nice new cover on them, maybe beat some farts out of the cushions, and we're all good.

BTW - my apologies on the Y seats; I thought we were still flying Koitos on the 757's. Is that chapter finally, officially closed across the board?
EWR764, AndyInSaigon and findark like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Wonder if the 28J PS will be a fast follower

AA is doing a similar refurb on its only 5-6 year old A321 transcons - not sure why those got flagged as “dated” nose to tail refurb other than lots of scuff marks

Just flew on an A319 with the bigger F cabin and new bulkhead. The lav was still in the circa 1988 beige floral print look.

I’m cool with it - would rather see the sunset stripe seats to go with it but oh so United to be haphazard like that...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Just flew on an A319 with the bigger F cabin and new bulkhead. The lav was still in the circa 1988 beige floral print look.

I’m cool with it - would rather see the sunset stripe seats to go with it but oh so United to be haphazard like that...
So true. I flew last night on a 18+ year old DL 737-800 that is starting to look a little long in the tooth, with old seat hardware, but Delta always seems to get its brand elements right:

- LED lighting throughout
- updated lavs
- newer flooring/carpets
- current branded seat covers
- updated, brand-standard UI on old eFX IFE
- diamond pattern walls and monuments

It was cohesive and clean, and is par for the course on Delta. At United, it always seems like a mixed bag. It's not something that has a big impact on customer experience, but as they say, it's about getting the little things right.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Once retrofitted, they will no longer be 75B, the new fleet code is 75S.

Also, in order to add seats, the closet at 2R is being removed. Whilst crew has their own gripes about it, the effect on passengers will be that the crew luggage, spare equipment, and other items usually stored there will now be taking up OHB space. Also, there's no more overflow to accommodate rollers that didn't fit, instruments, etc.

OTOH, a new IFE was a necessity on these birds...
cerealmarketer and wxguy like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I am always pro-Channel 9 every time!
DenverBrian, wxguy, EWR764 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
N17105 is the first plane to receive the upgrades and should be returning to service shortly. Hoping someone can share pictures of the refreshed J seats.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
17105 is out of the barn and doing EWR-LAX RT today, EWR-SFO tomorrow. Looks like the next few days she’s scheduled for P.S. routes.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:38 pm

I recently flew on one of the s-CO refreshed aircraft, EWR-LAX. Not too much has changed, which was expected.

However, there are new seat covers and new United and Polaris branding on the wall panels in the forward galley. New remote control for the entertainment screen and possibly new screens. Not sure on this, but the picture seemed higher-definition then I remember. The seat pods were not replaced, however they were cleaned up and made to look more presentable. Seat comfort seemed about the same. Lavatory looked mostly unchanged, with a few minor updates.

One thing that may worth tracking is my seatmate noticed her United provided headphones had prongs that did not fit in the seat outlet. Mine did, however. Her's were silver and mine were black. She alerted the FA shortly after boarding and the FA tried a couple more pairs (all silver) which did not fit. She made a call and was able to get replacement black headsets boarded before we left the gate and all of those worked AFAIK. So, definitely check if your headset prongs fit or you may have a long, quiet flight.

I forgot to check on Channel 9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.