Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Past the 3 Bag Limit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Getting Past the 3 Bag Limit

Hey FTers,

I am in the process of planning my flight to SYD (from LHR) in January (on UA obviously) and went to the UA baggage calculator to see how many bags I can safely check in. Per the baggage calculator the max I can check in as a Premier Gold is 3 bags @ 32 kg each. However, that might not be sufficient for my needs (I'm moving there).

This limit does not increase even if I'm flying in Polaris J:

My question is whether there is any way to get around the limit, or if the baggage calculator is simply wrong here (seems light given the itinerary)?

N.B. no, I don't plan on joining the Canadian Forces to get the coveted 5 bag limit

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Get a buddy travel on the same PNR with you.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
If you were willing to fly in Polaris, why not just pay the $200?
Miggles, onthesam, chavala and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
for $25 you can take a 50lb tuba case, with a tuba in it of course
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
for $25 you can take a 50lb tuba case, with a tuba in it of course
I don't exactly follow what you're saying. Are you saying that I can check in a "musical instrument" at a discounted rate of $25 for the fourth and subsequent bands (I've got a band you know? )

-James
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
You could stop people close to the UA check-in counters and ask them if they'd be willing to check in your extra bags and give them back to you after they pass through SYD security.

(No, not really. That was a joke. That bag limit has been like that for quite some time, and is pretty generous really.. That's 210 lbs of luggage, and sufficient for most folks' travel needs.)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Joking aside, if UA can't do more than 3 checked bags for their Premier Golds, are there other *A airlines that fly to SYD who provide a fair baggage allowance to such destinations? Again, I do find it bizarre to say the least that flying Polaris J as a Premier Gold to SYD from LHR, my limit is still 3 bags. Meanwhile a kettle flying steerage to SYD can check 2 bags in no qualms.

The other option I was thinking of was investing in slightly larger baggage and maxing out all 3 bags at the 32 kg limit (although some of the stuff I'm shipping are more fragile like monitors and desktop).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
...are there other *A airlines that fly to SYD who provide a fair baggage allowance to such destinations?
I'm still perplexed: what do you consider a "fair" allowance?
It appears this may be only an issue because of it being a move to Australia, as opposed to a visit there.
United, compared to many other airlines, is actually quite generous with their allowance.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
3 x 32 kg is very generous. You could always pay for more.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Is the question can you take more than 3 bags, or can you take more than 3 bags for free?

If the latter, as Miles Ahead suggested, just pay the extra bag fee of whatever it is these days?

Mrs Limey isn't known to travel light and if i remember correctly would check 4 bags on trips to South America, in economy, with 3 free and 1 paid as a UA *G.

I don't think they changed the rules so that it is only possible to check 3 bags in total.. but there may be capacity constraints on some routes at some times such that extra baggage is not permitted, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :-)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Get a friend to go with you, fly Economy. 3 free bags for everyone.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is using a false premise. There is no three bag limit.

As a GS in Polaris (J), he is entitled to three bags at 32 kg. each included in the price of his ticket. He may also check additional bags at $200 (for 23 kg) and $400 (for 32 kg).

UA's allowance is significantly above most other carriers, although OP is free to tinker around with other routings to see if he can do better.

OP should also remember that he will need high-quality insurance. His maximum coverage for however many bags he has is US$1,650 in fair market value.

Other considerations here include freighting the less important items and letting them take their time to arrive. Much, much cheaper and less of a hassle to organize at both ends.
Redhead, SteveHK, Absolute and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Often1; Oct 9, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Often1
OP is using a false premise. There is no three bag limit.
Some posting to this thread were presuming [maybe erroneously] that OP was referring to FREE 3 bag @70lbs/ea limit.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by narvik
Some posting to this thread were presuming [maybe erroneously] that OP was referring to FREE 3 bag @70lbs/ea limit.
I certainly did not presume that based on a willingness to fly paid J and use checked luggage as a means of moving one's household. In any event, bags are not "free" they are merely included.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
check out air freight, and ship it with your flight.
8MiHi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.