Getting Past the 3 Bag Limit

Old Oct 9, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
I don't exactly follow what you're saying. Are you saying that I can check in a "musical instrument" at a discounted rate of $25 for the fourth and subsequent bands (I've got a band you know? )

-James
If it helps too, I bought extra monitors on the Aussie version of craigslist , itís called gumtree , check it out and you might find itís better to ditch the big items and replace them from the used market

https://www.gumtree.com.au
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:21 pm

I always thought CoUniHound was a moving company

At the end of the day not a huge deal. I just thought I'd check to see if there's some trick (i.e. upgrading to F on a Dom flight to get the extra bag allowance) all the insiders know for the times when they really need to check some items. Looks like I'll make sure those three bags are packed to 32 kg each

Safe Travels,

James
There's no trick. Pay $200 more per extra bag and you'll be set (if it's not a huge deal, then why ask in the first place)?
iluv2fly and gcashin like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
(although some of the stuff I'm shipping are more fragile like monitors and desktop).
If you are already going to ship some/most of your possessions, why not just add onto as additional items to ship? The incremental cost is going to save you a lot of headache, and likely would provide larger insurance coverage in case of things going sideways.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
There's no trick. Pay $200 more per extra bag and you'll be set (if it's not a huge deal, then why ask in the first place)?
I just wanted to know ahead of time if there is any way around it. Obviously as a poor student if I can find a way to avoid a $200 fee Iíll take it! Now that I know thereís no way round it, I can plan accordingly! Thanks everyone for the insights into this!

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
If you are already going to ship some/most of your possessions, why not just add onto as additional items to ship? The incremental cost is going to save you a lot of headache, and likely would provide larger insurance coverage in case of things going sideways.
Thats also a possibility although again I think the thing is cost mailing items from Canada and UK over to Australia. That and how long it will take for my belongings to reach there. The nice thing about checked luggage is that youíre assured **knocks hard on wood** that your luggage will arrive at the same time with you!

-James
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
You could stop people close to the UA check-in counters and ask them if they'd be willing to check in your extra bags and give them back to you after they pass through SYD security.

(No, not really. That was a joke. That bag limit has been like that for quite some time, and is pretty generous really.. That's 210 lbs of luggage, and sufficient for most folks' travel needs.)
Even as a joke, this is a horrendous suggestion. No one should ever claim a strangers luggage as their own. You have no idea what is in it. If TSA security actually finds something illegal ( or dangerous) - good luck in convincing the authorities it isnít yours!
iluv2fly and writerguyfl like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Joking aside, if UA can't do more than 3 checked bags for their Premier Golds, are there other *A airlines that fly to SYD who provide a fair baggage allowance to such destinations? Again, I do find it bizarre to say the least that flying Polaris J as a Premier Gold to SYD from LHR, my limit is still 3 bags. Meanwhile a kettle flying steerage to SYD can check 2 bags in no qualms.

The other option I was thinking of was investing in slightly larger baggage and maxing out all 3 bags at the 32 kg limit (although some of the stuff I'm shipping are more fragile like monitors and desktop).

Safe Travels,

James
You have a misguided view. Pay the lady and you can check as many bags as you want.
Steve M likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ship your other stuff as cargo.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Identity Platinum
I think we have sufficiently exhausted all possibilities.
Bear96 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
To me I would consider a fair allowance to be 5 bags (i.e. 2 free bags you would normally get for the Oceanic flight + 3 bag additional allowance UA provides their Gold elites). Perhaps I'm being too frugal here and/or expecting to much)
Note that those two bags are at 50lbs so 2 @ 50 vs 3 @ 70 you are getting over double the allowance.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TommyC80 View Post
Not even close: this is FT after all!
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Challenge for more ideas accepted:

Carry them on. Preboard with families and those requiring extra time. 50/50 chance nobody says anything.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Check 3 large bags, then carry a smaller 4th on with you.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:59 am

I managed just fine with 3 bags moving back to Canada from the UK having taken one bus, a train from York to Kings X and the Piccadilly (Heathrow) line to Heathrow. So long as I've got a bungee cable and wheels on all four corners of the case, I'm set:
No answers, but a bit of advice. As a student moving overseas for a few years, I travelled with five pieces of luggage - two big bags, two smaller bags and a guitar case - and I regretted every minute of it. What you've got in the picture above is doable. One suitcase in each hand and the bag on your shoulder.

Add even one more piece of luggage and you're in trouble. You've got no extra hands. Every time you open a door, get in an elevator, get on an escalator, get on a bus, get on a train etc. you've got to work out what you're going to do with that extra piece of luggage. Leave it at the bottom of the escalator and come back for it? Ask someone to take it for you? It's more trouble than it's worth.

Also, as others have mentioned, unless you're really attached to stuff like your monitors, it's a big waste of money bringing them. Just pick up some cheap ones on Gumtree when you get to Sydney. Take good care of them, then when you're ready to go back home sell them to someone else. It will cost little to nothing in the long run.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by TommyC80 View Post
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Not even close: this is FT after all!
True. OP could consult with Wile E. Coyote of Acme Inc. to see if their giant slingshot would do the trick.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Identity Platinum
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
True. OP could consult with Wile E. Coyote of Acme Inc. to see if their giant slingshot would do the trick.
On a fresh mind and a cup of coffee I have another idea. You can put the bag under a blanket in a dog crate and send it through PetSafe.

Search this Thread