Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05 April 2020
1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
4 Dec 2019 (updated 29 Dec 2019)

UA Customer Support Agents are now able to extend 31 Jan 2020 expiring 80 PlusPoints to 30 April 2020 for requalified 1Ks (GSs).

At this point, the 80 PlusPoints do not need have come from just GPUs, appears there is no distinction of the original source of the PlusPoints.
This is not correct [anymore]: United MP agents are able to discern if PlusPoints have originated from GPUs or RPUs.
More recently, when calling in, only PlusPoints from GPU's were able to be extended, up to a maximum of 80 PlusPoints to 30 April 2020.
Some have had more success when emailing United as opposed to calling in, although it appears that the extension of PlusPoints from RPUs is an exception rather than the rule.

29 Oct 2019
Originally Posted by chavala
Just received this email:

Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) are valid through the end of the following Premier program year and travel must be completed by the expiration date. On 12/04/19 the GPUs and RPUs will be converted into PlusPoints. Before 12/04/19, we will extend two GPUs. After 12/04/19, we will then extend the PlusPoints. There are no extensions on the RPUs.

As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United.
Regards,
_________
MileagePlus® Service Center
Historically UA will extend up to 2 GPUs with January expiration to April 30 expiration if the elite has re-qualified for 1K status or GS. Unknown with the change to PlusPoints (4 Dec 2019) if or when a similar extension will be offered and what the form will be.

Generally, UA does not announce the policy until mid to late November. And there is no guarantee the policy will be renewed any year. Will update thread title, if and when, it becomes possible to extend. When UA decides to do this, it can take a week or two before most agents are aware.

The extension can be done via email or phone -- also either by MPSC or phone agents (some phone agents will need to get help).

No extensions of RPUs have been offered in the past. (With the conversion to PlusPoints this may become a moot point). Historically Plats (having no GPUs) have not been included in the extension offer.

And just a reminder, GPUs (or RPUs) cannot be applied to flights scheduled after the expiration date.
Once expired the GPUs cannot be recovered / extended.

Previous threads

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2019 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (6 Nov 2018)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2018 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (9 Nov 2017)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2017 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (13 Nov 2016)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2016 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (14 Nov 2015)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S) (3 Dec 2014)
Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2014? (11 Dec 2013)
What's the latest on extending "2013" GPUs?
Print Wikipost

COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Definitely fewer people out and about flying. For my mid-afternoon ORD-CLE flight, though, F is full and there are 30 on the UG list. A couple will have to not show for me to move to the front.
I only just used my extended plus points by gifting them to a friend for a scheduled trip to NRT and both where UG’ed. I will need to change how I use my plus points if I expect to come close to using them all. Further evidence of the business slow down is my CPU upgrades for the last four flights were for two people and without splitting our reservations.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Right, but nobody is flying. Business travel will be near zero for the next 2 months at least and then slowly recovering.
(bolding mine)

I think the opposite is true: once UA starts flying to the current "hot-spots" again, I think it's going to recover FAST, and planes/lounges/airports will be chock-full again.
It will be as horrible as always!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

I think the opposite is true: once UA starts flying to the current "hot-spots" again, I think it's going to recover FAST, and planes/lounges/airports will be chock-full again.
It will be as horrible as always!
I doubt that. There will be different recovery curves and travel restrictions for different parts of the world and some employers will be more conservative than others. It will come back slowly ... my prediction. Plus you can't really plan till you know you are good to go again and there will be some ramp up time with that.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K/*G & Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Has anyone experienced rescheduling or cancellation for upgraded bookings?

If I have a mid-April international booking which is upgraded with points expiring in April, will I be able to keep my upgrade or retain the points beyond April if:

A. I’m forced to postpone the trip from April to say May or October depending on the virus travel embargo situation in April.

B. United cancels the flight due to travel embargo by the US or the country of travel.

As virtually all corporate travel is on hold and countries are barring non citizens from entry, I hope United will encourage us to fly again when the situation stabilizes a bit by honoring points/upgrades that’d be expired/lost in normal times
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:19 am

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Originally Posted by DrVC

If I have a mid-April international booking which is upgraded with points expiring in April, will I be able to keep my upgrade or retain the points beyond April if:

A. I’m forced to postpone the trip from April to say May or October depending on the virus travel embargo situation in April.

B. United cancels the flight due to travel embargo by the US or the country of travel.

As virtually all corporate travel is on hold and countries are barring non citizens from entry, I hope United will encourage us to fly again when the situation stabilizes a bit by honoring points/upgrades that’d be expired/lost in normal times
I called in yesterday because I'm in the same boat. The agent had to call the MP desk, what she eventually relayed back to me was that MP and UA Corp are currently in discussions on this, and look for an announcement in the next couple of days.

Unfortunately this was before last night's pronouncement regarding travel to/from Europe, so I'm guessing that's now the primary topic of discussion at UA Corp.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2020 at 1:03 pm Reason: aviod going OMNI
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically if you initiate the change, you have to start over with your upgrade, but if they force the change (e.g., by cancelling), they will preserve the upgrade.

However, we are not in typical times, and I imagine there is a lot of variation in what agents are doing.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

I had to cancel a work trip booking this week (LAX-FCO). My PP-supported upgrades over the Atlantic and back had already cleared. I had heard that I should be able to get the points back, but that it might not happen automatically. Two days out, the points have not been redeposited. I plan to call the MP desk later today to inquire about this.

Wouldn't it be great if they extended the expiry on those for just a few more months?!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
Wouldn't it be great if they extended the expiry on those for just a few more months?!
Sadly I don't think that will happen. I have burned through my expiring PPs and more with instrument assisted upgrades clearing virtually always over approximately the past 4 weeks. So much so that I now have just run with attempts at clearing CPUs and so far running at 100% on that (only 4 recent trips).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Sadly I don't think that will happen. I have burned through my expiring PPs and more with instrument assisted upgrades clearing virtually always over approximately the past 4 weeks. So much so that I now have just run with attempts at clearing CPUs and so far running at 100% on that (only 4 recent trips).
It's not exactly like I'm holding out much hope.

But it does sting a little. The 80 Plus Points secured me a couple of really nice TATL upgrades. And with the way things are going, I don't think that I'll be able to use them (nor do I know anyone who I can sponsor); I doubt that I'll step foot on a plane 'til mid-May at the earliest.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I plan to call the MP desk later today to inquire about this.
>2-hour hold time on the 1K line. HUCAT

It certainly wasn't that bad when I called to book an award reservation on Wednesday.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
big difference post Trump speech last night
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I plan to call the MP desk later today to inquire about this.
>2-hour hold time on the 1K line. HUCAT

It certainly wasn't that bad when I called to book an award reservation on Wednesday.
Originally Posted by jasonp622
Delta hold time was 6 hours starting this morning.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonp622
Ah! I didn't connect the dots. D'oh!

But I'm looking at that as a good thing; I'm guessing that wait times will go back to normal soon enough.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:04 pm

Plus points confirmed but expiring in April, GS->1K - what happens if flight canceled

I have 160 points on a round trip 2 people itinerary for April and confirmed. They are in PN on a mileage ticket.

2 questions
1) Flight is canceled, will need to go later in the year, will they extend the plus points?
2) I was GS when booked - will they let me stay in PN (Y award + upgrade)?

Thank you
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deskover54
I have 160 points on a round trip 2 people itinerary for April and confirmed. They are in PN on a mileage ticket.

2 questions
1) Flight is canceled, will need to go later in the year, will they extend the plus points?
2) I was GS when booked - will they let me stay in PN (Y award + upgrade)?

Thank you
No on #2 : any change to a reservation made after you lose GS benefits isn't eligible for GS perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.