Community
Wiki Posts
Search

unpublished 1k benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:44 am

Sometimes......

I also had a counter person in LAS try and charge me $200 for luggage once because he did not want to waive a charge I had never paid (even on the outbound trip).

I think the treatment and perks of 1K are dependent on both the agent and my insistence/pleasant nature. When I was diamond at DL I found that they were a LOT more accommodating. All the agents routinely waived fees and rules to allow me to do what I needed.

I hope the bump in PQDs makes UA more like DL in that respect.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I find them to be very concerned that a 1K has access to Hertz rental cars. They never pass up an opportunity to discuss it, regardless of the reason for the call.

"...I am very sorry that we cancelled your flight and you are now not flying home until tomorrow. Can I assist you with a Hertz rental car?..."

timetosave and cranky1K like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I find them to be very concerned that a 1K has access to Hertz rental cars. They never pass up an opportunity to discuss it, regardless of the reason for the call.

"...I am very sorry that we cancelled your flight and you are now not flying home until tomorrow. Can I assist you with a Hertz rental car?..."

At least with a lot of agents I have reached, it's painfully obvious they are reading from a script and think it is as inane as you do.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Point of this thread is interesting. If it's unpublished, then it should stay that way, else it becomes an expectation. I do agree, "bending" the rules is the best perk.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by narvik
And as a 1K it seems to be mostly #1 !
This is because your status gets you to the top of the list, but United has clearly no intention of letting you get the upgrade without exhausting all options in trying to sell it to the lowest bidder as a buyer. This includes the price offered at the kiosk getting lower and lower as the the remaining passengers to check in gets lower. I've seen it often drop to where the upgrade costs less than what it costs to check a bag and pay for a seat assignment. With that, you'll remain at number one and someone willing to spend more or less nothing will get it.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
This is because your status gets you to the top of the list, but United has clearly no intention of letting you get the upgrade without exhausting all options in trying to sell it to the lowest bidder as a buyer. This includes the price offered at the kiosk getting lower and lower as the the remaining passengers to check in gets lower. I've seen it often drop to where the upgrade costs less than what it costs to check a bag and pay for a seat assignment. With that, you'll remain at number one and someone willing to spend more or less nothing will get it.

And sometimes (if some reports here on FT are to be believed), it is because the last open J seat went to a non-rev buddy of an FA or GA.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
At least with a lot of agents I have reached, it's painfully obvious they are reading from a script and think it is as inane as you do.
Sometimes when I’m hanging up, I thank them and say I don’t need a rental car before they even mention it
droopydog and fattygoose like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Expedited misplaced/delayed baggage handling is an unpublished benefit -- 1K members are supposed to receive express (not standard) delivery of misplaced/delayed items.

Baggage agents aren't always on the ball with this one though -- make sure that when the agent enters your delivery address into the system they check all the boxes and use all the dropdown menus (especially the ones for status and for expedited delivery).
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Last week when I called to cxl my TPE flight (during the waiver), she asked me if I needed a Hertz or hotel.
She caught herself and laughed, said she says it so many times a day it just comes out.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: UA MM
I had an agent tell me recently on the phone that they will interline bags to non-*A carriers for 1K members when they normally wouldn’t.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I had an agent tell me recently on the phone that they will interline bags to non-*A carriers for 1K members when they normally wouldn’t.
you may find 'an agent' willing to do this, but this is to the best of my knowledge not an unpublished 1K benefit.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
How about this?

Wait listing a GPU within T-24 h. My 1 K colleague did this two days ago although help desk agents were involved and it took almost 1 hour. I thought that it was not allowed. But this guy was stubborn and persuasive. The ORD-PEK upgrade to Polaris was cleared before boarding began.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Agree, I've heard that's an unpublished 1K benefit. I've not tested it.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Wait listing a GPU within T-24 h. My 1 K colleague did this two days ago although help desk agents were involved and it took almost 1 hour. I thought that it was not allowed. But this guy was stubborn and persuasive. The ORD-PEK upgrade to Polaris was cleared before boarding began.
That's just an exception.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree, I've heard that's an unpublished 1K benefit. I've not tested it.
If had it happen a few times in the past three or so years. Most recently, the check in agent called someone. I heard her say, “he’s 1K”; she checked the bag through to BA once she hung up.
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.