Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United think we're idiots??? (purchase price for RDMs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Okay after continuously devaluing the value of miles with no end in sight I got an offer to buy miles .....so for giggles I priced it:

Mile are now selling at 3.5 cents/mile!!!! Okay they have an offer for 85% bonus so I priced the number of miles to fly a partner to SE Asia (140k) around $2600

Alaska also sent me an offer to buy miles - they have had less devaluation and their cs (even with NO status vs mid level status with UA) is miles better

Cost to buy miles needed to fly partner to SE Asia (70k - Cathay, would be 75 for JAL) around $1300!!!!

So if you're flexible (yes I know award availability varies, etc.) it's a no brainer!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Mile purchases are best for topping off accounts. If you prefer to use them sub-optimally, that's your choice.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by estnet
Does United think we're idiots???
Yes.

(As does almost every other business in the USA.)
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Okay after continuously devaluing the value of miles with no end in sight I got an offer to buy miles .....so for giggles I priced it:

Mile are now selling at 3.5 cents/mile!!!! Okay they have an offer for 85% bonus so I priced the number of miles to fly a partner to SE Asia (140k) around $2600

Alaska also sent me an offer to buy miles - they have had less devaluation and their cs (even with NO status vs mid level status with UA) is miles better

Cost to buy miles needed to fly partner to SE Asia (70k - Cathay, would be 75 for JAL) around $1300!!!!

So if you're flexible (yes I know award availability varies, etc.) it's a no brainer!
Minor correction - 50K one way on CX and 60K-65K one way on JL.

IMO, these are the best way to get to Asia from the US.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
As mentioned above, these things are best for small topoffs to redeem an award

having said that, did your promo also qualify for PQD? I got a PQM offer that would also count for PQD. That may make it more useful.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
All airlines think we are idiots,
with all the cuts in service and benefits, miles need going thru the roof on reward travel,
packing more and more passengers in to a plane, a few members of staff that treat us, the paying passenger with no respect.... etc etc..
yet we all seem to still strive to achieve status,
yes we are the idiots, that still stay loyal to an airline, even though they are not loyal to us
Billygreg likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: UA MM
"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot. But don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot." (Groucho Marx in Duck Soup)
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you fall for loyalty marketing schemes such as frequent flyer programs, you are an idiot. This has been true for as long as they have been around.

Some people will sometimes find good value for some trips. Most will not. But, that will not stop them from paying more for tickets, flying inconvenient routes or sitting in the middle seat next to the lav for a "bonus".
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
They would not market it if there were not at least some idiots out there willing to take the bait.

One could argue that all all us GS and 1K are idiots too
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Mile are now selling at 3.5 cents/mile!!!! ...
This has been the standard, non-sale price for many years (probably decades) -- nothing new ( except for recent "devaluations" but nothing new about that either)

...Okay they have an offer for 85% bonus so I priced the number of miles to fly a partner to SE Asia (140k) around $2600 ...
That has been pretty standard also, pricing during the sales at roughly 2 cpm

Purchasing of miles for anything out than topping off an account has been a poor deal -- nothing new
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Mile purchases are best for topping off accounts. If you prefer to use them sub-optimally, that's your choice.
Absolutely true,actually I said "for giggles" - as I haven't spent a dime at UA for many years after multiple years as a 1k (and lifetime 2mm). Just using up my existing miles for international travel NOT on UA. I hadn't even looked at buying miles for quite a while - still a few thousand for a first class ticket that would otherwise cost 10k+ (that is if you can find availability) could have it's place.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Absolutely true,actually I said "for giggles" - as I haven't spent a dime at UA for many years after multiple years as a 1k (and lifetime 2mm). Just using up my existing miles for international travel NOT on UA.
So if you haven't spent money at UA for many years, why are you expecting a lowball mileage offer? To win you back?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
So if you haven't spent money at UA for many years, why are you expecting a lowball mileage offer? To win you back?
No, just a few spare minutes and wondering what an 85% "bonus" was................pretty much what I expected......no need to waste more time
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by eng3
They would not market it if there were not at least some idiots out there willing to take the bait.

One could argue that all all us GS and 1K are idiots too
Many companies make their profit off of customers why are "idiots",

Look at that credit card you have. Do you think the AMEX/Chase/... would give away these points if they did not expect some percent of cardholders to carry a balance at 18%?

How about a store like Best Buy that has some good deals on major items while making all their profit on extended warranties and small items overpriced 100%?

How about the car dealership that sells 3 years of detailing service for $2000?

The list is endless. And there are enough "idiots" that it works.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:02 pm

I would argue that even at 3.5 cents per point purchasing miles may not be a bad deal, particularly for upgrades with no or low copay. For instance upgrading a PY fare to J on a long haul route like SFO > AKL where the ToD offers are likely higher than the $700 you’d spend in points upgrading an O fare to Polaris J. The value can become quite lucrative if you’re crossing multiple continents like CPT to SYD.

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.