Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American CK vrs United GS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:07 am

I'm wondering if a good strategy for OP might be to get top-tier normal status across all three airlines (i.e. 1K with UA, Exec Plat with AA and Diamond Medallion with DL). That way OP will be able to sample what the various airlines have to offer, picking and choosing whatever routes work best for them. N.B. is there a significant difference between top tier and super-top tier (i.e. 1K vs GS)?

Another topic not brought up in this thread but may be worth examining is whether attaining status with a US domestic airline FFP makes sense regardless of whether they fly them that often. For instance, would OP be more advantageous getting HON Circle on LH since they have reciprocity with UA? This would also give him access to things like the FCT/FCL when travelling in Europe and would ensure he can access all the lounges he wants in the US when flying UA domestically. Similarly if OP was to credit miles to OZ, they would get lifetime Gold status after flying 500,000 miles across any of the *A airlines.

For the OP, it is possible to be a member of a FFP you don't regularly fly with so long as they're in the same alliance. UA won't be angry nor bite your head off if you credit all that precious flying with them to a different program. I'm a Canadian and fly other airlines all the time, but always insist on crediting to UA which I would argue I fly most of the time.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Kannai
Maybe that should be gifted GS but really if you have the spend to get into GS, you can afford an extra couple hundred bucks for the lounge, no?
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Do you think the majority of GS are flying using their own coin?
True - but if one flies enough to get GS (with the exception of those who get through a contract and maybe don't actually travel as much) - you probably have enough RDM to spend on a membership to get it without paying cash.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
For instance, would OP be more advantageous getting HON Circle on LH since they have reciprocity with UA? This would also give him access to things like the FCT/FCL when travelling in Europe and would ensure he can access all the lounges he wants in the US when flying UA domestically.
99 times out of 100, it's better to be a member with the program that you actually fly. Although I understand that you, personally, value lounge access more than most people, the truth is that the value of domestic UC access is capped at $650, because that's what you could buy it for with no status. A GS is easily going to get $650 more value from GS than from being a generic *G.

So, if OP flies LH much, much, much more frequently than UA -- or is in a position to do so -- then, sure. But, flying LH much more frequently than UA makes it nearly impossible to earn GS status anyway.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
99 times out of 100, it's better to be a member with the program that you actually fly. Although I understand that you, personally, value lounge access more than most people, the truth is that the value of domestic UC access is capped at $650, because that's what you could buy it for with no status. A GS is easily going to get $650 more value from GS than from being a generic *G.

So, if OP flies LH much, much, much more frequently than UA -- or is in a position to do so -- then, sure. But, flying LH much more frequently than UA makes it nearly impossible to earn GS status anyway.
And $450 is more realistic because of the Club Card. HON makes you much better treated on LH Group of course, but that is obviously only helpful if you'd rather fly them. OAL *G is treated quite poorly on UA other than the lounge loophole.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.