Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BThumme
I had applied an RPU on this reservation to go from Y-J like you, as premium economy wasn't a thing on this flight last week.

1) - Do you know if this considered a used RPU now?
2) - Will we still be on the upgrade list to business? I still see I'm waitlisted.
I'm in the exact same boat. Will be very unhappy if my upgrade to J doesn't clear and they try to claim my RPU was used for the "upgrade" to P+.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:01 pm

I had applied an RPU on this reservation to go from Y-J like you, as premium economy wasn't a thing on this flight last week.

2) - Will we still be on the upgrade list to business? I still see I'm waitlisted.
In my (limited) experience, when booking things through UA on UA metal, they tend to respect the rules that were in place at the time of booking. Case in point, I booked LHR > LAX last September for a trip in March of this year. During that time TATL Basic Economy didn't exist, just Economy Light (no changes, baggage) which allowed for seat selection and full PQMs. Even though TATL BE rolled out on December 11th, UA still respected the reservation I had booked back then and I ended up receiving all the entitlements of that fare (including full PQM).

The way I see it, when you booked that flight there were only two classes of service available Economy, and BusinessFirst (passengers last). Hence any upgrade you apply should be based on the assumption that you'll be pushed into BusinessFirst, not PremiumPlus which did not exist back then.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold

I'm so lost at this point. For me, this seat isn't about peanuts or meals - I need to get 6 hours of work done on the plane. It's important time for me when flying during the day and impossible to do even in E+, with my elbows rubbing against my neighbor while typing.

I really wish they could have just left this alone, what a mess. I'm happy to pay $199 or an RPU or *whatever* just please confirm my seat!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Nope, UA 295. On the phone now w/ an agent, she is completely unaware of the starting/stopping selling of Premium Plus on this route. Was surprised it was even offered. Then told me the entire fare class is "zeroed out on the backend" so she can't assign me a seat, but sees my fare shows I'm in Premium Plus, yet also sees my seat reservation is in regular economy+. She's confused. Now talking to a manager. Been on hold about 25 minutes so far. Good thing I don't completely hate this hold music LOL

UPDATE: Call ended with the agent confirming with her manager that, yes, my fare class is still Premium Plus, but no, they can't reserve a seat in that cabin right now and to try back tomorrow.

Fun times. Good thing I paid $80 extra and used a cert to confirm this so I could do work on my laptop this flight for 6 hours for a deadline I have coming up. Meh.
Since you are not flying anytime soon, I would recommend it letting it ride out for 24-48 hours while UA IT figures out what exactly they are suppose to be doing.

I had a similar issue earlier in the year, where they did not assign an aircraft 47 hours before the flight, so all the seat assignment went berserk, including dumping everyone from PP to E+, but no one had the ability to assign a seat back in PP. It was not until 23 hours before the flight all seemed to be back to normal, except that PP is now wide open for seat assignment.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:10 pm

I'm so lost at this point. For me, this seat isn't about peanuts or meals - I need to get 6 hours of work done on the plane. It's important time for me when flying during the day and impossible to do even in E+, with my elbows rubbing against my neighbor while typing.

I really wish they could have just left this alone, what a mess. I'm happy to pay $199 or an RPU or *whatever* just please confirm my seat!
Would you rather have your RPU clear into PP or likely die on the battlefield with you seated in E+? At this point there is no question that there is some value to PP seating, the only question is how much. UA seems to think that PP and BusinessFirst (passengers last) should be on the same playing field. I'd argue that this thinking is plane wrong, particularly on lie flat configurations. What would be a reasonable upgrade price to PP? Would 10 credits be reasonable (half a normal RPU)? What about 5 credits?

From the standpoint of UA, they also want to ensure they have a good load factor in PP, this new class of service their trying to introduce into the DOM market. Everyone knows what BusinessFirst (passengers last) is like, as well as E- and E+ seatings. Not many are familiar with PP and whether it is worth the extra money, considering the length of the trip is relatively short compared to the long haul routes its on and the fact that no meals are served.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I wrote about this today on my blog. One quote from UA:

Originally Posted by United Airlines
When we changed the schedule to a three-cabin aircraft, customers were moved to open Economy Plus seats. For flights in October, we worked to move customers who had originally selected a Premium Plus seat, back into Premium Plus as a courtesy. For flights after October, customers will be able to book available Economy Plus seats which is consistent with the experience most of these customers are expecting.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I wrote about this today on my blog. One quote from UA:
So does this mean I was overlooked? Perhaps you can clue someone at UA in that they did not actually successful move everyone back, if you have such a contact. I'm getting nowhere by phone.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:40 pm

So does this mean I was overlooked? Perhaps you can clue someone at UA in that they did not actually successful move everyone back, if you have such a contact. I'm getting nowhere by phone.
"Never ascribe to incompetence that which can be adequately described by capriciousness"

- Smisek's Razor
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I've let them know. Several readers have told me the same thing.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Wednesday flight now showing three cabins in the GDS.. can people in a PE class assign seats online?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I've let them know. Several readers have told me the same thing.
Thanks Matthew!!!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:16 pm

Final update, for those in the same situation. I called back the 1K desk one last time to try again. Got a nice agent who called his "help desk" who was able to secure my reservation in the correct cabin & seat. The seat now shows on my reservation via the website as well.

Also, still appears to have cost me an RPU. Frankly, I'm OK with that, just need the time for work.

Hurray!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Wednesday flight now showing three cabins in the GDS.. can people in a PE class assign seats online?
I cannot. Errors out - "we are unable to assign some or all of your selected seats"

I do see that the seatmap is starting to show some seats taken.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:19 pm

I mirror your situation. Are you on UA1882 by chance? Im back in row 31 now as well too.
I am on that flight. I got the same text.
BThumme likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I cannot. Errors out - "we are unable to assign some or all of your selected seats"

I do see that the seatmap is starting to show some seats taken.

What a mess. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.