Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
On the downside, the frame-specific seatmap for the 78J is still loading as two-class with 20-22 as 2-3-2 Y. That would be why BThumme is unable to select another seat, and one assumes those booked in E+ can choose a PE seat now.
Good thing this doesn't go live with actual flights in two days. Oh wait . . . .
Originally Posted by xavierkuai
Is UA testing something?
Not intentionally.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by xavierkuai
United is moving people back to PP on my flight on Oct 2. It’s a nice gesture.
Well, it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place . . . so it's the only acceptable gesture for a pretty crap move.
alwaysflyingLA and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Has there been any talk from UA about introducing this product on narrow bodies like the A320 or B737 or heaven forbid ERJ/CRJ?

-James
Not sure how they'd differentiate from the current First class on those planes. Only narrowbodies I could see it on are the 757s that have lie-flat seats.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Alaska MVP, Caesars Diamond, MGM Gold
Has anyone had luck with getting put back into PP on flights after October? I have a flight at the end of October that they automatically put me back in PP, but no luck yet on my flights a week later in November.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by choatie88
I just had this happen to me also - 10/25 EWR-SFO and 10/28 SFO-EWR. Kicked into E+ on 10/25 and back to E- on 10/28 as no more E+ available. Very frustrated as I purchased new tickets when PP came out in order to experience the product, so I had EWR-SFO on the 781, a return on a 752, and a separate SFO-EWR on the 781.
I suspect part of the problem here is that, from the airline's point of view, the actual seat you are paying for is a Y seat and this is no different from an aircraft change from an A320 with a more comfortable seat to a 777 with a less comfortable one, or a change from a 35 inch pitch Y+ seat to a 34 inch pitch one, or losing your exit row seat. Or reserving the first flight on a new route and getting bumped to the next flight due to a plane change.

Essentially, FF'ers figured out how to configure reservations to get in PP seats. But you paid the same fare you paid to sit anywhere in Economy. So as far as the airline is concerned, you are receiving what you paid for.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by lexi123
Has anyone had luck with getting put back into PP on flights after October? I have a flight at the end of October that they automatically put me back in PP, but no luck yet on my flights a week later in November.
No luck for me either. EWR-SFO on November 1st has not been moved back to PP.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

This morning an interesting discussion started on whether the economics (pricing and market conditions) can support PP in these domestic markets.

Given that a probable start date of October 2 for PP -- at least on p.s. domestic routes -- is imminent; and to keep this thread's discussion focused on operational/website issues, we have moved this economics/policy discussion to its own thread here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ng-issues.html

Please use this linked thread to discuss further issues of whether it makes sense to offer PP for revenue or award travel on domestic routes. Thanks! Ocn Vw 1K, for the UA Moderator team.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....plus-domestic/

Matthew says UA has clarified to him that customers booked on flights after 11/1 will not be eligible for courtesy reseating/"upgrade" into the PP cabin.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
OK, things are now getting weirder.

When I started my post last week about United quietly taking one of my certs for my Oct 2nd filght without notice for the previously confirmed free Premium Plus seat, my gripe was that they had done it without notice.

Well, this morning I get a text message notice that my seat has been changed due to an aircraft swap. I'm now, get this:
* Confirmed in "United Premium Plus (RN)"
* Upgrade cert is still gone
* Seat is now 31L (regular Economy+)

Seat map is the same plane, lets me select a Premium Plus seat, but after hitting save it just reverts back to 31L.

So, the free Premium Plus seat went to "United Business" and used a cert, and now the seat is downgraded back to Economy Plus and yet the cert is still gone and the reservation still shows "United Premium Plus".

Heh

What a mess.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
OK, things are now getting weirder.

When I started my post last week about United quietly taking one of my certs for my Oct 2nd filght without notice for the previously confirmed free Premium Plus seat, my gripe was that they had done it without notice.

Well, this morning I get a text message notice that my seat has been changed due to an aircraft swap. I'm now, get this:
* Confirmed in "United Premium Plus (RN)"
* Upgrade cert is still gone
* Seat is now 31L (regular Economy+)

Seat map is the same plane, lets me select a Premium Plus seat, but after hitting save it just reverts back to 31L. I also notice the entire PP cabin is empty.

So, the free Premium Plus seat went to "United Business" and used a cert, and now the seat is downgraded back to Economy Plus and yet the cert is still gone and the reservation still shows "United Premium Plus".

Heh

What a mess.
I mirror your situation. Are you on UA1882 by chance? Im back in row 31 now as well too.

Last edited by BThumme; Sep 30, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:06 pm

I would be curious how mixed cabin bookings will work. Presently if I’m flying EWR > SFO > KIX with J availability for SFO > KIX but no BF availability for EWR > SFO in J, I’ll be seated in Y. I’m guessing now if there was availability in PP for EWR > SFO I would be ticketed in that for the same number of miles?

-James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dkc192
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....plus-domestic/

Matthew says UA has clarified to him that customers booked on flights after 11/1 will not be eligible for courtesy reseating/"upgrade" into the PP cabin.
I think this fixes the issue if they implement it.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I would be curious how mixed cabin bookings will work. Presently if I’m flying EWR > SFO > KIX with J availability for SFO > KIX but no BF availability for EWR > SFO in J, I’ll be seated in Y. I’m guessing now if there was availability in PP for EWR > SFO I would be ticketed in that for the same number of miles?

-James
Hello, James, BF is dead. It is either United Business (transcon and short international flights including to SJU, etc) or long-haul Polaris business. I know that some pm-CO pursers sometimes still use BF on some international flights, for example, SIN-SFO, on Sept. 3.
Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
I mirror your situation. Are you on UA1882 by chance? Im back in row 31 now as well too.
Nope, UA 295. On the phone now w/ an agent, she is completely unaware of the starting/stopping selling of Premium Plus on this route. Was surprised it was even offered. Then told me the entire fare class is "zeroed out on the backend" so she can't assign me a seat, but sees my fare shows I'm in Premium Plus, yet also sees my seat reservation is in regular economy+. She's confused. Now talking to a manager. Been on hold about 25 minutes so far. Good thing I don't completely hate this hold music LOL

UPDATE: Call ended with the agent confirming with her manager that, yes, my fare class is still Premium Plus, but no, they can't reserve a seat in that cabin right now and to try back tomorrow.

Fun times. Good thing I paid $80 extra and used a cert to confirm this so I could do work on my laptop this flight for 6 hours for a deadline I have coming up. Meh.

Last edited by RdFltErr; Sep 30, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Nope, UA 295. On the phone now w/ an agent, she is completely unaware of the starting/stopping selling of Premium Plus on this route. Was surprised it was even offered. Then told me the entire fare class is "zeroed out on the backend" so she can't assign me a seat, but sees my fare shows I'm in Premium Plus, yet also sees my seat reservation is in regular economy+. She's confused. Now talking to a manager. Been on hold about 25 minutes so far. Good thing I don't completely hate this hold music LOL

UPDATE: Call ended with the agent confirming with her manager that, yes, my fare class is still Premium Plus, but no, they can't reserve a seat in that cabin right now and to try back tomorrow.

Fun times. Good thing I paid $80 extra and used a cert to confirm this so I could do work on my laptop this flight for 6 hours for a deadline I have coming up. Meh.
I had applied an RPU on this reservation to go from Y-J like you, as premium economy wasn't a thing on this flight last week.

1) - Do you know if this considered a used RPU now?
2) - Will we still be on the upgrade list to business? I still see I'm waitlisted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.