Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Old Sep 29, 19, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
One thing that is unclear from this change in trans-con service will be whether free meals will still be offered to E+ passengers on p.s. routes. I sure hope so but who knows what this "enhancement" will bring.
The vast majority of planes used will not have PP, not even in the next couple of years. So, I doubt there are any immediate changes E+ meals for premium transcons under consideration.
Old Sep 29, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Finally made an account here.

Was booted out of PP to E- on next week's EWR-LAX. Took the $199 offer to "United Business" but was unable to select a seat in J. Called in and the agent said it booked into PP so UA refunded the upgrade and moved me back to E+. Then today I was moved back in to PP, which showed as "United Business" for a while before eventually showing "United Premium Plus"

Any hope for CPU's into PP on the transcons? Do you think service will be differentiated from the current meal / free drinks in E+?
Old Sep 29, 19, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWRLAX View Post
Any hope for CPU's into PP on the transcons?
No the route is not CPU eligible, and it's a very very difficult upgrade for 1K or GS using an instrument. Pretty much impossible for a Plat I would say.
Old Sep 29, 19, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Despite some in-thread reports, at least for new tickets I am still seeing O/A/R map to "United Business" and be ineligible for seat selection in any cabin.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
In doing a fake booking looking up a future flight, the seat category is showing correctly as Premium Economy, booking into R, but class of service is showing as United Business.

Similarly, with mileage award, it's booking into ON.

Same thing when booked with an international connection.

Old Sep 29, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
No, if anything i wouldnt surprise to see this product show up on 77G first, since 77G also fly many ps flights and the longer hawaii flight, they cant charge a premium on short haul with the narrowbodies.
Supposedly there is a new high-density 777 configuration coming. UA could probably generate premium economy sales to Hawaii and between hubs... won’t surprise me to see PE on that fleet.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No the route is not CPU eligible, and it's a very very difficult upgrade for 1K or GS using an instrument. Pretty much impossible for a Plat I would say.
While SFO-EWR/BOS and LAX-EWR haven't been CPU eligible, that may have been because the aircraft used have lie flats in F. It's conceivable that they may start granting CPUs to PP when available.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
While SFO-EWR/BOS and LAX-EWR haven't been CPU eligible, that may have been because the aircraft used have lie flats in F. It's conceivable that they may start granting CPUs to PP when available.
It's not strictly the lie-flats, it's the premium service. When they run the lie-flats on non-premium routes (e.g. LAX-BOS or LAX-IAD) then they do grant CPUs.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
It's not strictly the lie-flats, it's the premium service. When they run the lie-flats on non-premium routes (e.g. LAX-BOS or LAX-IAD) then they do grant CPUs.
The key difference, though, is all of the P.S. flights have lie flats in F (I think this is the case). That makes it easy to declare no CPUs on P.S. flights. It's much harder to do that when Monday may have regular F seats and Tuesday may have lie flats (both of which can change at any time).
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:23 pm

The key difference, though, is all of the P.S. flights have lie flats in F (I think this is the case). That makes it easy to declare no CPUs on P.S. flights. It's much harder to do that when Monday may have regular F seats and Tuesday may have lie flats (both of which can change at any time).
The LAX-BOS flights with lie-flats were very consistent (and sometimes seasonal), but you could book with a reasonable expectation of which seat you were getting. If UA IT were better they could have created a no-CPU to lie-flat on that route when they're consistently flying 752s. But I agree that adding PE seats to the ps routes might let them start doing CPUs to the PE seats (if they can work out the inevitable IT issues).
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I really doubt that's going to happen, for multiple reasons. Mainly b/c UA's always required instruments to upgrade on the premium t-con routes, but also b/c it would too messy have two different sets of upgrade rules for the same flight.
ps was instrument only before the aircraft had lie-flats.
Originally Posted by chrisl137 View Post
If UA IT were better they could have created a no-CPU to lie-flat on that route when they're consistently flying 752s. But I agree that adding PE seats to the ps routes might let them start doing CPUs to the PE seats (if they can work out the inevitable IT issues).
It's not the seat, it's the route.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 29, 19 at 7:54 pm
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA has a truly unique ability to needlessly antagonize its customers with random downgrades to E- middles.

Why not just respect the original seat assignments during the transition period? By definition, anyone who was in a P+ seat was Gold or higher (or companion), or paid for E+.

Funny enough I was checking for a paid upgrade to business and saw one for 200 each. I thought it was too good to be true and it was. I actually paid for my seat (I do not have any status)when I bought the ticket and they took away my seat and stuck me in regular economy plus and the 200 dollars to “upgrade” to business was to go into the pp cabin. To make matters worse they took away my bulkhead window and aisle seat and stuck me and my son in two middle seats. and it took three phone calls to United to fix the issue. The agent kept telling me “oh this is a new plane” as if I had no idea what was going on. They also kept insisting I had upgraded with miles and they were no longer valid and they also told me they couldn’t get our seats back. They needlessly annoyed and alienated me and now I’ll just go back to paying more for delta.

eta: I just checked again and I was moved from 20 J and 20 L (which I bought over a month ago) to 22 E and F. This is after I already spent three hours on the phone Saturday to get my original seat assignment back. I am so, so frustrated with United.

Last edited by Neophytetraveler; Sep 30, 19 at 2:44 am
Old Sep 30, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
For my EWR-LAX Wednesday, it shows up in the app, but I can't see any of the upgrade info, relating to PP or just business (the normal occupancy/booked upgrade list screen). Just keeps erroring out. Same for standby screen.

Oh and my seat got changed again in PP. If I go to the seat map on the app, I can see a bunch of the PP seats with normal blue squares that show open seats. When I go to change my seat, everything is greyed out.

Just clear my RPU and let me be done with this! I'm starting to worry if I even actually have a seat anymore.
Old Sep 30, 19, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well, on the upside, they are now correctly associating cabins to classes: ticket maps to United Premium Plus (R) and allows seat selection in that cabin.

On the downside, the frame-specific seatmap for the 78J is still loading as two-class with 20-22 as 2-3-2 Y. That would be why BThumme is unable to select another seat, and one assumes those booked in E+ can choose a PE seat now.
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
For my EWR-LAX Wednesday, it shows up in the app, but I can't see any of the upgrade info, relating to PP or just business (the normal occupancy/booked upgrade list screen). Just keeps erroring out. Same for standby screen.

Oh and my seat got changed again in PP. If I go to the seat map on the app, I can see a bunch of the PP seats with normal blue squares that show open seats. When I go to change my seat, everything is greyed out.

Just clear my RPU and let me be done with this! I'm starting to worry if I even actually have a seat anymore.
Having the same issue here on a flight on Oct 2. The seat map shows PP as E+. Fare buckets show PP cabin although both PP and Business buckets are zeroed out. My seat got moved again. This is such a roller coaster ride.

Is UA testing something?

Last edited by alwaysflyingLA; Sep 30, 19 at 8:30 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: