Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Old Sep 28, 19, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I just had this happen to me also - 10/25 EWR-SFO and 10/28 SFO-EWR. Kicked into E+ on 10/25 and back to E- on 10/28 as no more E+ available. Very frustrated as I purchased new tickets when PP came out in order to experience the product, so I had EWR-SFO on the 781, a return on a 752, and a separate SFO-EWR on the 781.

Called the Premier desk and pointed out that this was effectively a downgrade as there was no more E+ on 10/28. Agent said that "you're not guaranteed any particular seat." I pointed out that this is clearly untrue as UA is happy to sell seats as a product even within the same cabin - "preferred seating" to kettles. Eventually the agent gave me wide latitude to make it right, short of putting me back in PP - changed flights to where E+ was available and even refunded the one-way SFO-EWR.

Overall I would say I'm happy with how it was resolved by the agent, though it's very frustrating that UA created this problem to begin with. UA certainly has the right to sell PP as an upgrade. But they should have grandfathered elites in, especially in the case where E+ was not available after the policy change.

I predict a lot of unhappy pax and frazzled gate agents on 10/2.

Last edited by choatie88; Sep 28, 19 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 28, 19, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA
United is moving people back to PP on my flight on Oct 2. It’s a nice gesture.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by alwaysflyingLA; Sep 28, 19 at 9:21 pm
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by xavierkuai View Post
They are moving people back to PP on my flight on Oct 2. It’s a nice gesture.
I got moved up to PP on my outbound after being moved to E-. Still in E+ for the return. I am ok with that. I prefer PP for the return but it is what it is.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The short notice of this is weird and lack of fares is even weirder, flight in 4 days with 21 seats that can not be purchased and all in those seats have been bumped to less desirable seats

there are only a couple Premium Transcon flights with PremiumPlus seating
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
As others have noted, this seems needlessly nitpikcky given the equipment changes that happen on the occasional basis, and since this is literally only 1x frequency a day to LAX / SFO. It would make more sense to do something like this if UA was inducting the MAX 10 (as the 752 replacement) and installed PP seats on those.
That's a good point! There will only be a handful of domestic flights a day with this config. I was thinking this would be limited to the p.s. routes but I guess it doesn't have to be. E.g. sell PP on a SFO-IAD or IAH-EWR flight if it has PP equipment.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The short notice of this is weird and lack of fares is even weirder, flight in 4 days with 21 seats that can not be purchased and all in those seats have been bumped to less desirable seats
Short notice? I call it NO notice. I have searched the United website for information on this to no avail. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

All we have is a quoted respose to a "tweet". Not all United customers subscribe to Twitter® and that should not be the sole medium of transmitting information for any company other than, perhaps, Twitter®.

My BOS-EWR-LAX reservation for Nov 19 has been screwed up on united.com since it was made: conflicting information on the "Manage My Reservations" screen, the Flight Receipt, and the "Select Seats" screen. One screen does not agree with another regarding both flight times and seat assignments. All of which is indicative of an unholy coding mess on the IT side. And now this. Fortunately, due to the whacky discrepancies noted above, I have screen shots of seat assignments in 21A & C for the EWR-LAX leg on the only screen that was displaying accurate information. Now booted out of those and quite unhappy about it. But if enough people raise a stink...who knows?
Old Sep 28, 19, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Looks like I got moved back up automatically too.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 8:23 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
That's a good point! There will only be a handful of domestic flights a day with this config. I was thinking this would be limited to the p.s. routes but I guess it doesn't have to be. E.g. sell PP on a SFO-IAD or IAH-EWR flight if it has PP equipment.
This could be limited as of now to "p.s." routes and not to every domestic route having Prem. Plus seating.

For the past two months, we've been confirmed SFO<->IAD in XN on 291/340 starting 22 Oct, in aisle PP seats. We were able to grab those seats at booking. (The only 772 daily flight on the route.) Most of these 772s in past weeks have gone out on the un-Polarisized planes (28J (2-4-2), 0 PP, E+, E.) But starting mid-Oct., these ships are (still) showing the full Polaris J seats 1-2-1, with PP.

As of a few mins. ago, the seat map shows the few PP seats remaining in Blue. We're still in our row 22/21 aisle PP seats. Fingers firmly crossed for no downgrade frame subs or no ejection to 3-4-3 E+

In checking fares today on SFO->IAD, I did notice that a PP column has been added; but on our n/s 772s that column has been filled in "Not available". However, if you construct a connection to IAD via SFO->EWR (p.s, 781) ->IAD, you will be paying a "mixed cabin" of R class for PP on p.s. segment and S on the UX segment EWR to IAD. Total RT fare shown in these "mixed cabin" connections via p.s, is a bit under double the lowest available Econ. fare on the same connecting flights.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 28, 19 at 8:36 pm Reason: Add more details about connections to IAD via p.s. 781s.
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
United is moving people back to PP on my flight on Oct 2.
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Looks like I got moved back up automatically too.
Sanity prevails. Hope the fix will be consistent.
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Looks like you still can't select a seat if you book PP. So you want a customer to cough up extra $, but not be able to select their seat?

What a horrible rollout United.
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
Looks like you still can't select a seat if you book PP. So you want a customer to cough up extra $, but not be able to select their seat?

They should have pushed the rollout to allow IT time to adequately test the systems. Classic example of sticking with an arbitrary rollout date despite the IT not being ready. Well run organizations won't do this. You push the date until the IT is tested and stable.
Old Sep 28, 19, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post

The Twitter team has been able to assign seats for me, though seemingly only one specific seat (21A) on all three of my flights, regardless of availability of other seats and my specific requests for them. Seems like they haven't reaccommodated pax formerly seated in those seats (when sold as E+) for all flights, so some flights show wide open PP seatmaps.
Old Sep 28, 19, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting... What fare class?
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by choatie88 View Post
I just had this happen to me also - 10/25 EWR-SFO and 10/28 SFO-EWR. Kicked into E+ on 10/25 and back to E- on 10/28 as no more E+ available. Very frustrated as I purchased new tickets when PP came out in order to experience the product, so I had EWR-SFO on the 781, a return on a 752, and a separate SFO-EWR on the 781.
I just got automatically moved back up on my flight on the outbound 781 on 10/25. Didn't get moved back (obviously) on the 10/28 return where i changed from the 781 to the 752 for E+ availability. I can't see the PP seatmap on my original flight on 10/28 but there's now lots of space in E+ so I assume people were moved back on that flight as well. I wonder if I should call now to try to get changed back to the 781? This is on a G fare.

What a mess.

Last edited by choatie88; Sep 29, 19 at 3:14 am
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Interesting... What fare class?
I just got moved back to my original PP seat on a 10/12 cross country flight. W fare. My upgrade request is still in place.
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:32 am

Has there been any talk from UA about introducing this product on narrow bodies like the A320 or B737 or heaven forbid ERJ/CRJ?

-James

Search this Thread
Search Engine: