Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
I had an upgrade request in to be moved up to Polaris/Business. United quietly took my upgrade request and left me in the Premium Plus seat. Interesting that they just took the upgrade without notice for a totally different product than I had requested.
That is undoubtedly an error, of which there are clearly many right now. It will undoubtedly require follow up to fix; I'd probably wait a couple of days until they get the coding straightened out.

What a miserably poorly handled process; a true case study on how to destroy good will to no good purpose. I hope UA Insider is reading this thread.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by RdFltErr
I had an upgrade request in to be moved up to Polaris/Business. United quietly took my upgrade request and left me in the Premium Plus seat. Interesting that they just took the upgrade without notice for a totally different product than I had requested.
I suspect there are many people on this forum who would gladly take an E+ emergency exit seat over any of those Premium Plus seats regardless of whether an upgrade is available. Some of the best sleep I've had on a wide-body was an E+ over-wing exit row window seat on UA.

-James
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is undoubtedly an error, of which there are clearly many right now. It will undoubtedly require follow up to fix; I'd probably wait a couple of days until they get the coding straightened out.

What a miserably poorly handled process; a true case study on how to destroy good will to no good purpose. I hope UA Insider is reading this thread.
I suspect it's not an error and it's telling us that an upgrade from Y puts you in PE, not F. The upgrade is what kept RdFltErr from being booted back to E +/-.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Is UA boosting the soft product here or is this simply a significant fare increase for the seat alone?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Is UA boosting the soft product here or is this simply a significant fare increase for the seat alone?
PremiumPlus fares do include some soft product enhancements, not sure how this will play out on a transcon
Premium Plus package
  • Wider seats (than Economy), more leg space (than E+), more recline (than E+), leg rest
  • Saks Fifth Ave bedding
  • Larger entertainment screens and noise reduction headset
  • Customers seated in United® Premium Plus will receive an elevated dining experience with Complimentary alcoholic beverages as well as custom dinnerware with flatware and a cloth napkin.
  • Premier Access® to help you get on your way faster"
  • Two free standard checked bags so you can pack more
  • Discounted United Club access for a better travel experience
  • Reserved overhead bin space for your carry-on bag
  • Earn 150% Premier qualifying miles and 1.5 Premier qualifying segments when you purchase a fare in United® Premium Plus.
  • Free E+ access on connecting flights without PP seating (and booked in B fare class)
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
This would be an excellent product for that unused 10 PlusPoints level.
findark and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It was good while these freebies lasted; we all knew free PP seats were going to end at some point.

I don't blame UA trying to make some $$$ on PP, but its communication (or lack thereof) gets a F.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
What a miserably poorly handled process; a true case study on how to destroy good will to no good purpose.
"How to make an extra $4776 and annoy dozens of loyal customers at the same time!"

Very bizarre...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I suspect it's not an error and it's telling us that an upgrade from Y puts you in PE, not F. The upgrade is what kept RdFltErr from being booted back to E +/-.
No, they wouldn't change the upgrade policy without notice.

There are multiple reports of obvious coding errors relating to cabin and seat assignments already in just four pages of thread.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
No, they wouldn't change the upgrade policy without notice.
You have a lot more confidence in UA than I do.
droopydog and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American
As everyone else has also noticed... lost my assigned seat in row 22 for an upcoming flight. Called Premier line and got a nice agent who basically had no idea what I was talking about and repeatedly implied I was trying to get a free upgrade "you have to pay more for that seat". She was not aware that it was sold as a Econ + seat up till this week. I agree with everyone that it is very BAD form to have elite members who had reserved those seats be bumped back without any communication especially as the regular Econ/Econ plus seats on the 787-10 look terribly narrow (but per seatguru... are 17.3"... the same as the 757 and slightly larger than the new 777 seats at 17.1")

Oh well. Another bad taste left in my mouth (but likely no different than how AA or DL would have handled it).

If you really want row 20-22, if you go into upgrades... it shows 2 different costs for upgrade. My flight was $199 for one and $859 for another. The $199 allows you to upgrade into the Premium Econ.

Oh well... at least I got to fly that 3x before the change.

Has anyone flown the regular econ seat? Is it really the same width as the 757? It looked VERY narrow last time I looked back from Row 22.... Sigh....

Any seat recs for their Econ Plus? I see Row 30 gets a "yellow" as the seat is more narrow from the solid armrest...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by clintonuws
Has anyone flown the regular econ seat? Is it really the same width as the 757? It looked VERY narrow last time I looked back from Row 22.... Sigh....

Any seat recs for their Econ Plus? I see Row 30 gets a "yellow" as the seat is more narrow from the solid armrest...
Please see Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10 for discussion on the 781 seats
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
For P.S. flights: I'll make a wild guess and say that it will be 20 points regardless. For certain fare classes, 20 points gets you from Economy to First. Other fare classes gets you from Economy to PP. Twenty points to go from PP to First, too. As I said, just a wild guess.

Well, currently an RPU gets you from economy to Business - ie 20pts

So, will it get you a double upgrade or will the entire 20points be consumed if you get upgraded to PE - that really sucks for a TCON - remember, now, once you are upgraded you can't get your points back...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Went out of my way to route lax-ewr for Wednesday night, October 2nd, which of course is now the day this starts. From PP to e+ thankfully.

I have an rpu for the reservation, the app says I’m waitlisted first business. Does that mean I will also be on the list for PP?

I shouldn’t have to find out from this thread what’s going on.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clintonuws
As everyone else has also noticed... lost my assigned seat in row 22 for an upcoming flight. Called Premier line and got a nice agent who basically had no idea what I was talking about and repeatedly implied I was trying to get a free upgrade "you have to pay more for that seat". She was not aware that it was sold as a Econ + seat up till this week. I agree with everyone that it is very BAD form to have elite members who had reserved those seats be bumped back without any communication especially as the regular Econ/Econ plus seats on the 787-10 look terribly narrow (but per seatguru... are 17.3"... the same as the 757 and slightly larger than the new 777 seats at 17.1")

Oh well. Another bad taste left in my mouth (but likely no different than how AA or DL would have handled it).

If you really want row 20-22, if you go into upgrades... it shows 2 different costs for upgrade. My flight was $199 for one and $859 for another. The $199 allows you to upgrade into the Premium Econ.

Oh well... at least I got to fly that 3x before the change.

You are much more likely to be able to change to a 757 flight than you are to get put back in the P+ seat if they are determined now to sell it as P+.

Further discussion could go in the 781 seats thread, but although the 781 is better in Y than the updated 77x, personally I would prefer the 757 if no chance of upgrading.

I'll also just repeat others' dissatisfaction with the way this is being rolled out. Seems like grasping at every possible dollar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.