Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Old Oct 4, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Group 1 boarding is going a bit too far if you ask me. Group 2 is fine but as it is Group 1 should be reserved for those with Gold status and those flying BusinessFirst (passengers last) or similar Premium cabins. Overhead bin space is limited as it is and I cant afford to check my bags in everywhere u go even if it is free. I dont have an hour or more (if airport code begins with Y) to waste with that nonsense.

-James
Except those in PP and those in Y (Gold and above) won't be sharing overhead space in the same section.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Except those in PP and those in Y (Gold and above) won't be sharing overhead space in the same section.
Having flown the 787-10 a few times now, there's plenty of overhead space.
TommyC80 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA PaidUpgrade Pro
I decided not to waste my time arguing with UA on this, and just paid $199 a head to go back into the seats my wife and I were in for a December trip to LAX.

What’s interesting however is that I can now waitlist for business class for 15,000 miles and no copay (I booked into an A fare). It was previously 15,000 miles + $125. Also, I was going to end the year with 74,100 PQM before I did this upgrade, so the 50% bonus PQM for the A fare are actually useful for me.

A question for those of you who have double upgraded via upsells to PP, then miles/instrument to Biz in the past (probably a small sample size!). If I waitlist for biz with miles, and clear, is the system smart enough to give me PQM credit based off the A fare I was in from the upsell, or will it default back to the Q fare I originally purchased? Based on the T&C of the upsell, do I have any recourse back to United if I somehow don’t get the 50% PQM bonus?

I purchase upsells all the time, and always get the PQM bonus — but I’ve never looked to see if that was part of the T&C or just a system error United hasn’t bothered to correct.
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TommyC80 View Post
A question for those of you who have double upgraded via upsells to PP, then miles/instrument to Biz in the past (probably a small sample size!). If I waitlist for biz with miles, and clear, is the system smart enough to give me PQM credit based off the A fare I was in from the upsell, or will it default back to the Q fare I originally purchased? Based on the T&C of the upsell, do I have any recourse back to United if I somehow don’t get the 50% PQM bonus?
No, if booked in an upgrade code (like PZ) it credits the first letter of the fare basis on the coupon which would be Q for you.

(Experience is from J->F upgrades but I would be shocked if anything has changed.)
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by findark View Post
No, if booked in an upgrade code (like PZ) it credits the first letter of the fare basis on the coupon which would be Q for you.

(Experience is from J->F upgrades but I would be shocked if anything has changed.)
I think this is a different situation. He "paid" for A by adding the fare difference from Q to A. I *think* he'd be credited based on A.
Old Oct 5, 19, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I think this is a different situation. He "paid" for A by adding the fare difference from Q to A. I *think* he'd be credited based on A.
Actually, I don't think it matters. I was expecting that the $199 was a sticker-upgrade, but even if purchasing a premium fare outright you will still have credit issues because the domestic PE fares are all differential with an Economy first letter (eg WAA4AQON is an A fare SFO-EWR). The latter case could probably get fixed (with effort) by calling MPSC, but was also a problem back in the day if you purchased a domestic Z/P fare and received a CPU to ON.
Old Oct 5, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
In my experience the P+ cabin's passenger density is low enough the overhead space is not so much an issue. I don't have an opinion about which group is appropriate.

The meal designation is not very reliable, but that does suggest they are treating domestic P+ as the seat only.
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
You folks are making a huge assumption that Premier Gold travelling on a K(ettle) fare doesn't board first and proceed to stow their items in the Premium Plus overhead

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
Plating the E+ TV dinner, perhaps?
I believe that violates UA's plating rules for this region which clearly stipulates that aside from F service, everything else should be plated on UA card stock instead of proper silver and chinaware

-James
Old Oct 5, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: united
Group 1 boarding is going a bit too far if you ask me. Group 2 is fine but as it is Group 1 should be reserved for those with Gold status and those flying BusinessFirst (passengers last) or similar Premium cabins. Overhead bin space is limited as it is and I cant afford to check my bags in everywhere u go even if it is free. I dont have an hour or more (if airport code begins with Y) to waste with that nonsense.

-James
It's highly unlikely that a few PP passengers will fill up the bins in a widebody.

I'd actually be somewhat more worried about elites sitting in coach who might store their bags nearer to the front in PP.
Old Oct 5, 19, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I'd actually be somewhat more worried about elites sitting in coach who might store their bags nearer to the front in PP.
Some folks just might. Exhibit A:

You folks are making a huge assumption that Premier Gold travelling on a K(ettle) fare doesn't board first and proceed to stow their items in the Premium Plus overhead
Old Oct 5, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA PaidUpgrade Pro
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Actually, I don't think it matters. I was expecting that the $199 was a sticker-upgrade, but even if purchasing a premium fare outright you will still have credit issues because the domestic PE fares are all differential with an Economy first letter (eg WAA4AQON is an A fare SFO-EWR). The latter case could probably get fixed (with effort) by calling MPSC, but was also a problem back in the day if you purchased a domestic Z/P fare and received a CPU to ON.
I had a feeling it wasnt going to be straightforward. I think Ill forego waitlisting for the J cabin (probably wouldnt get it anyway)...
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
They have every right to! If they're sitting in the emergency exit over-wing section of the plane where there is no under seat storage, they may very well need to use some PP bin space to stow their laptop bag. I haven't had to do that so far given my Zone 1 boarding, but if any Tom, Dick and Harry can get Zone 1 boarding then who knows!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 5, 19, 2:00 pm

They have every right to! If they're sitting in the emergency exit over-wing section of the plane where there is no under seat storage, they may very well need to use some PP bin space to stow their laptop bag. I haven't had to do that so far given my Zone 1 boarding, but if any Tom, Dick and Harry can get Zone 1 boarding then who knows!

Safe Travels,

James
Gosh, you act like folks in PP are taking away OH space from Y cabin folks. Max of 21 pax in PP on the 787-10 already with their own OH space section in the first place.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Has anyone taken a flight on the transcon 78Js with a seat assignment that stuck? I have a seat assignment prior to the announcememt with an RPU applied. It is currently showing a fare class of RN in Premium Plus but still says "Upgrade Requested". Wanted to know if someone in this situation was still waitlisted for Polaris after checkin.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
The meal designation is not very reliable, but that does suggest they are treating domestic P+ as the seat only.
The "meal" section of an itinerary has never shown correctly (at least for me) when booked in PremPlus. I have only booked PremPlus on international itineraries and even for flights like EWR-NRT, EWR-HKG, etc. it will say "Meal: None".

PS - these are booked PremPlus, not upgraded. Shouldn't matter though.
-RM
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:10 am

On my disaster of a seventeen hour delayed flight yesterday, I tried to upgrade from pp to j so my nine year old could sleep since wed spent the evening in the airport and he had school in the morning. I was told, in a not so nice manner, that the RN ticketed fare Id bought was not upgradeable. I asked why that was since I had been offered an upgrade several weeks ago and the customer service agent snapped then you should have taken it then. I tried asking several different people why the rn fare was not upgradeable and got numerous answers ranging from I dont know anything about fare buckets from the ga to this is a basic economy fare from customer service. I even tweeted customer service and got your flight is delayed heres a hundred dollars

the flight went out with about 80 people in a 787, half of those in j. My son and I were the only customers in pp and there were two business class seats empty. I am so angry I will never fly ua again despite my vouchers.

Search this Thread