Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Old Sep 30, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Neophytetraveler View Post
If you didnít have status it was 140 dollars per seat per way when I purchased. Then I paid the ďbusinessĒ upgrade again and my seats were still taken away. I am big mad about this.
They should definitely honor this.

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
There is a triple asterisk (***) attached to the CONUS and P.t. entries, but there's no footnote for such.

It seems to me quite a significant change / devaluation if they are adding fare class minimum to P.t. flights.

Overall this is a mess of an implementation. I wonder how many empty P+ seats will be flying in the first part of October.

I think anyone (regardless of status) booked on a 781 after October should have a strong argument for getting a reroute or moving to a different time, with this change.
I disagree. If someone paid an upcharge for the PP seat, they should get it. But with a month's notice, that should be plenty of time to confirm a seat in Y+, which is all that status guarantees you. The airline botched the implementation, but people who book in various ways to get the absolute perfect seat on an economy fare know full well it isn't guaranteed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 30, 19 at 9:25 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I am checking my reservation several times daily and calling each time I am moved so we will see. My flight is in T-48 hours and over the last three days my seat has been taken away four times. I’ve spent probably a total of four hours calling customer service. I have no fewer than four receipts showing me being moved back to my seats but I still have sinking feeling when the plane departs We will be in a middle seats in row 32.

eta: incidentally I am flying the same product with delta one way over thanksgiving to Atlanta and suites on the way back for less money. I booked several months ago. Guess who many times delta has changed my seat? Zero. I am an elite with delta but not diamond.

Last edited by Neophytetraveler; Sep 30, 19 at 8:38 pm
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is a triple asterisk (***) attached to the CONUS and P.t. entries, but there's no footnote for such.
The whole thing is one big ambiguity. It's the worst rollout since Bonvoy. (Dare I say, we've been Bonvoyed! )

It seems to me quite a significant change / devaluation if they are adding fare class minimum to P.t. flights.
Yeah, especially since S/T are very common fares on these routes. Lots of business travelers who are required to book lowest available will book into those.
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:51 pm

I am checking my reservation several times daily and calling each time I am moved so we will see. My flight is in T-48 hours and over the last three days my seat has been taken away four times. Iíve spent probably a total of four hours calling customer service. I have no fewer than four receipts showing me being moved back to my seats but I still have sinking feeling when the plane departs We will be in a middle seats in row 32.

eta: incidentally I am flying the same product with delta one way over thanksgiving to Atlanta and suites on the way back for less money. I booked several months ago. Guess who many times delta has changed my seat? Zero. I am an elite with delta but not diamond.
The middle seats make it worse. UA insiders read this forum. Maybe someone will intercede.
Neophytetraveler likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
I disagree. If someone paid an upcharge for the PP seat, they should get it. But with a month's notice, that should be plenty of time to confirm a seat in Y+, which is all that status guarantees you. The airline botched the implementation, but people who book in various ways to get the absolute perfect seat on an economy fare know full well it isn't guaranteed.
This.

I have numerous reservations after October now in E+, and I am content with new seats in E+ I have selected for myself. I have enjoyed those PP seats for free on over a dozen occasions, but after the implementation, I would have only purchased an economy seat.

There are some good P fares going on, and not much more than PP. I am just going to confirm J cabin and stop playing the waiting around upgrade game.
RobOnLI and dilanesp like this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:06 pm

The middle seats make it worse. UA insiders read this forum. Maybe someone will intercede.
I will likely be derided for this but honestly the worst part is my nine year old is a huge avgeek in training and he’s been researching these seats since before we booked and helped me choose the airline, the plane, where we were going to sit and is thrilled to fly this new plane (we were supposed to fly the 781 this summer But the Eva air strike meant our tickets were cancelled and we had to rebook and he was crushed). He knows the difference between all of the classes and seats; he even asked for a ticket to ride a 747 before it’s totally decommissioned for his birthday. He already uses seatguru, flight aware and expert flyer to look up things when I’m planning a trip.

We are going to syd/nou/vli/nan next July and he helped me find award availability on expert flyer. Between me and my son my husband is driven to madness with our plane obsession. I know it sounds trite but I got him super pumped and excited to see this new cabin on a new plane and he will be crushed if we are moved to E+ which is why I paid extra to secure these seats at booking and again when I was moved.
JAaronT and abaheti like this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I will likely be derided for this but honestly the worst part is my nine year old is a huge avgeek in training and heís been researching these seats since before we booked and helped me choose the airline, the plane, where we were going to sit and is thrilled to fly this new plane (we were supposed to fly the 781 this summer But the Eva air strike meant our tickets were cancelled and we had to rebook and he was crushed). He knows the difference between all of the classes and seats; he even asked for a ticket to ride a 747 before itís totally decommissioned for his birthday. He already uses seatguru, flight aware and expert flyer to look up things when Iím planning a trip.

We are going to syd/nou/vli/nan next July and he helped me find award availability on expert flyer. Between me and my son my husband is driven to madness with our plane obsession. I know it sounds trite but I got him super pumped and excited to see this new cabin on a new plane and he will be crushed if we are moved to E+ which is why I paid extra to secure these seats at booking and again when I was moved.
Youíre gonna be celebrated, not derided, for this.
jsloan, narvik, abaheti and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
Youíre gonna be celebrated, not derided, for this.
Haha maybe I will but I doubt it. We are flying a 747/a380 on ba over Christmas break because heís never flown a double decker plane and knows both are on their way out so that was his requested birthday gift. He will spend hours looking at trip reports and flight reviews if we allow it.
bh22 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:46 pm

The 747 was a truly important plane. I am sure we are all happy we got to fly on it, and it's great that your kid will get to ride on one before it retires.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I'm also worried because my first leg is on AS connecting to -LAX-EWR), I'm sure that's not helping anything. Only 3 seats left in business right now, so I've pretty much given up on that trying to clear and just hoping I can at least get my PP seat.

The final icing on the cake - flying EWR-DTW thursday morning, upgrade list is 1/12 booked, and no CPU yet. I don't get this game sometimes.
Old Oct 1, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
I am checking my reservation several times daily and calling each time I am moved so we will see. My flight is in T-48 hours and over the last three days my seat has been taken away four times. I’ve spent probably a total of four hours calling customer service.
Heh, I just checked in for my flight. Check-in page shows I'm in 20L. Reservation shows I'm in 22C. My experience is that, even at T-24, the two usually line up if you haven't made a seat change (I haven't).

Sigh.

Honestly I don't complain much about United IT - in-fact, usually it works pretty well for me and I *love* the app. But, again, what a mess. The biggest issue seems to be that nobody at UA even knows what is going on here or is aware of any of this. I can't believe there's not even an acknowledgement from UA that a problem exists.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by RdFltErr; Oct 1, 19 at 2:55 pm
Old Oct 1, 19, 2:36 pm

I believe it fair to treat this as an equipment change. Sure, seat assignments are not guaranteed, but before this unannounced change there was typically a chance higher than 90% that you would get the seat you reserved at booking. After, there is a 0% chance. That is a unilateral change on UA's part. And to me it seems like doublespeak when they say
Originally Posted by UA
For flights after October, customers will be able to book available Economy Plus seats which is consistent with the experience most of these customers are expecting.
It's only consistent if customers didn't know they were P+ seats.
Old Oct 1, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA
I was told by UA that at check in you should be able to select a seat in PE if you are booked in RN or other premium plus buckets.
Post above seems to confirm this.

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
I'm also worried because my first leg is on AS connecting to -LAX-EWR), I'm sure that's not helping anything. Only 3 seats left in business right now, so I've pretty much given up on that trying to clear and just hoping I can at least get my PP seat.

The final icing on the cake - flying EWR-DTW thursday morning, upgrade list is 1/12 booked, and no CPU yet. I don't get this game sometimes.
Originally Posted by RdFltErr View Post
Heh, I just checked in for my flight. Check-in page shows I'm in 20L. Reservation shows I'm in 22C. My experience is that, even at T-24, the two usually line up if you haven't made a seat change (I haven't).

Sigh.

Honestly I don't complain much about United IT - in-fact, usually it works pretty well for me and I *love* the app. But, again, what a mess. I can't believe there's not even an acknowledgement from UA that a problem exists.
Old Oct 1, 19, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it fair to treat this as an equipment change. Sure, seat assignments are not guaranteed, but before this unannounced change there was typically a chance higher than 90% that you would get the seat you reserved at booking.
In my experience, itís much higher than 90%. Iíve flown a few thousand legs on UA (and CO) and, aside from an equipment or schedule change, itís only happened twice.
Old Oct 1, 19, 5:58 pm

I believe it fair to treat this as an equipment change. Sure, seat assignments are not guaranteed, but before this unannounced change there was typically a chance higher than 90% that you would get the seat you reserved at booking. After, there is a 0% chance. That is a unilateral change on UA's part. And to me it seems like doublespeak when they say It's only consistent if customers didn't know they were P+ seats.
It doesn't matter if it's 90 percent. This is the 10 percent. And the airline has never promised anything more than a Y+ seat. United botched this, yes, but there's no doublespeak whatsoever. If you get a Y+ seat, you are getting what you are entitled to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: