Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Mileage Award on Lufthansa - Picking Seats / Bag Allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

We're looking to use our United points for a series of flights on Lufthansa. All 4 flights would be operated by Lufthansa. When I go to do the booking on United's website,it says that seat selection will occur during check-in. We're a family of 4, with 2 small kids, so we would need to sit together and I'd want to pick our seats long before check-in.

Can you really not pick your seats on Lufthansa flights booked with United points until check-in? Would I be able to call Lufthansa to get seats once we've been ticketed? Any help would be appreciated!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by crashvt2003
Can you really not pick your seats on Lufthansa flights booked with United points until check-in? Would I be able to call Lufthansa to get seats once we've been ticketed? Any help would be appreciated!
You can not pick LH seating on the UA website. It will be assigned at checkin if you do nothing.

However, you can go to the LH website, with award tickets you can get free seat assignments to a limit selection of seats otherwise you will have to pay to get advance seat assignments -- standard LH policy for long-haul flights
.No free advance seat selection unless you have LH status or award seats

Standard seat
Free of charge for:
- HON Circle Members and Senators, including 3 companions
- Passengers with award tickets // passengers in booking class X

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2019 at 8:51 pm Reason: link
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by crashvt2003
We're looking to use our United points for a series of flights on Lufthansa. All 4 flights would be operated by Lufthansa. When I go to do the booking on United's website,it says that seat selection will occur during check-in. We're a family of 4, with 2 small kids, so we would need to sit together and I'd want to pick our seats long before check-in.

see existing thread - no one can choose seats on LH without paying. Award, paid or whatever. The only exception is for the highest tier LH FF program members. Travelling with kids won’t get an exception. If you want seats in advance, you can call LH to pulrchase. I know to India from FRA they are $35 each - I think North America to EU is same or similar.

we flew with LH last year to BLR, our family of 4 with 1 lap infant and a 4 year old. I opted not to pay for seats, knowing that most in Y wouldn’t either since no one can do it without paying. It definitely worked out - they gave us bulkhead and a bassinet without even requesting it. So I suspect they do consider kids in a party with however they do it. If it was a situation where many others were entitled to seats in advance and we were on too low a fare for that, that would prompt me to buy. But knowing no one can do it made me not worry about it since most wouldn’t take seats until check in anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
LH has a pretty sophisticated algorithm for seat allocation; if your only concern is sitting together it's pretty much guaranteed that check-in assignment will do that since people paying for ASR + SEN/HON is pretty rare.
Kacee and lhrsfo like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
no one can choose seats on LH without paying
That's completely false.

I've selected advance seats on LH (without ever paying) probably a dozen times.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's completely false.

I was on an LH flight yesterday that I purchased with United miles. I was able to select seats with no fee as soon as it ticketed, well in advance of the flight - you have to go into the United reservation and find the LH confirmation number. It's under "Additional Information" or something like that. Once you have that number, you can go the LH website and see if it will let you select seats.

I did find that I had to re-enter my UA number at checkin, but the seat assignment was still there.
Dublin_rfk and roberto99 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's completely false.

agreed. Never an issue for me either.
roberto99 and pradhantushar like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Quick question. Economy TATL award ticket with United MileagePlus miles, LH flight number -
Single, non-stop flight. NYC->MUC.

Any advanced seat assignment options? Either free or pay?

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Any advanced seat assignment options? ....
.Free for awards seats
Standard seat
Free of charge for:
- HON Circle Members and Senators, including 3 companions
- Passengers with award tickets // passengers in booking class X
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Had a few flights within Europe on LH last week.

Those booked as an award - no problems picking seats via the LH website after getting the relevant confirmation number from UA.

Those booked as paid tickets (UA codeshare, UA ticket) - no seat selection until check-in.

Which matches what has been said above.
goodeats21 and PDXpress like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by docbert
Had a few flights within Europe on LH last week.

Those booked as an award - no problems picking seats via the LH website after getting the relevant confirmation number from UA.

Those booked as paid tickets (UA codeshare, UA ticket) - no seat selection until check-in.

Which matches what has been said above.
Thanks both.
That page on the LH site is very good!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I just booked two business class award seats on Lufthansa using my UA miles. I went to the Lufthansa app and could t select seats. So I called and they put me into the seats I wanted. Seems there may be a glitch.....or I got lucky
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I just booked two business class award seats on Lufthansa using my UA miles. I went to the Lufthansa app and could t select seats. So I called and they put me into the seats I wanted. Seems there may be a glitch.....or I got lucky
Lucky? You got unlucky ... you can usually select seats no problems on lufthansa.com or the app. Quite unusual to not be able to select seats.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Advance seat reservation for Business and First Class
On long-haul flights, advance seat reservation is free of charge for passengers in Business and First Class (advance seat reservation on continental feeder flights is subject to a fee).
Economy seats are another issue but even then .Free for awards seats
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Economy seats are another issue but even then .Free for awards seats
Yep that has been my experience in the past and what I understood but I couldn't do it. Maybe it was a technical glitch and I do have a child travelling with me who is 3 years old so don't know if that impacted the system. Regardless, I called and they got me seats. Only took 5 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.