Double Priority Tags

Old Sep 26, 19, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Double Priority Tags

I noticed this yesterday on Unitedís Instagram account. Has anyone seen United put two priority tags on a bag before? Iím guessing VIP?

Old Sep 26, 19, 4:49 pm

Programs: United GS 1MM, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
ive seen them done at EWR before as a GS, but it has now stopped.

I think it makes sense for GS at least to have double tags, or even GS and 1Ks.
Old Sep 26, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Where does it stop? Perhaps one for gold, two for platinum, three for 1k and four for GS? Then perhaps an extra one for full fare ticket holders.
UAFLYER22, Daze, m.y and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
They'll still come out last.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
It’s “double” secret probation
LIH and atword like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Why does it matter? The priority tag meaning died a long time ago and even European carriers have stopped caring. LH used to be the best at it. Maybe they still are in FRA/MUC but I only ever transit there now, not stop. I flew LH and SN last week and my bag was middle to end. I remember SQ/TG also caring but I haven't flown them in a while (SQ segments coming up in October). Until they come up with a new tag and create yet another training and push for the priority tag meaning something this is all for naught IMO.

It's a nice perk to write down on a piece of paper and saying "priority baggage handling" but handling doesn't mean "one of the first out on the belt." Also doesn't mean white glove handling

As for the pic in the OP, my guess is they were double tagged to show they are all part of the same group travel.

-RM
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Where does it stop? Perhaps one for gold, two for platinum, three for 1k and four for GS? Then perhaps an extra one for full fare ticket holders.
And 1/2 for us lowly silvers?

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Why does it matter? The priority tag meaning died a long time ago and even European carriers have stopped caring. LH used to be the best at it. Maybe they still are in FRA/MUC but I only ever transit there now, not stop. I flew LH and SN last week and my bag was middle to end. I remember SQ/TG also caring but I haven't flown them in a while (SQ segments coming up in October). Until they come up with a new tag and create yet another training and push for the priority tag meaning something this is all for naught IMO.

It's a nice perk to write down on a piece of paper and saying "priority baggage handling" but handling doesn't mean "one of the first out on the belt." Also doesn't mean white glove handling

As for the pic in the OP, my guess is they were double tagged to show they are all part of the same group travel.

-RM
it really depends where.

BKk for example is really good at it - I donít think Iíve ever seen them fail to come off first. Even YYZ works sometimes. Most of the US, of course, doesnít. My favorite was at EWR, when we were late on CX and made it onto HKG-EWR basically at T-5. I figured our bags would be first out, given they were very likely loaded last. They were literally the last bags on the belt. 90 minutes after arrival (I think the first bag took 70). And yes, of course that led us to miss our connection.

surprisingly, from almost day 1 in *, AI was pretty good. Donít fly them often, but was shocked to do BOM-MAA maybe in the first month AI was part of *, and not only did the bags get tagged with priority without me needing to mention it, but it was the first bag (or maybe second) on the belt in MAA. It really does depend.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Priority tags = "break me first".
garykung likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I have at times on UA asked them NOT to put the Priority Tag on because with UA they often come out last. It is just one more example of UA just not caring.
Old Sep 26, 19, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Maybe United is about to announce “Priority Tags Plus.” Each elite earns a certain number of priority tags up to 1K. After that, you get another bundle per 25,000 PQM’s. You can pay more priority tags to Skip the Baggage Claim Wait, but once your Skip the Baggage Claim Wait is confirmed, you cannot get your priority tags refunded if you decide to carry on instead.
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Well... as a data point:

I drop my (priority) bag at the counter 30 minutes before boarding and it's usually one of the first 3-4 bags to get delivered at bag claim.

Mostly on 737, 757, with the occasional 777 aircraft domestically.

No complaints from me.
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, IHG Spire Amb., Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
Maybe United is about to announce ďPriority Tags Plus.Ē Each elite earns a certain number of priority tags up to 1K. After that, you get another bundle per 25,000 PQMís. You can pay more priority tags to Skip the Baggage Claim Wait, but once your Skip the Baggage Claim Wait is confirmed, you cannot get your priority tags refunded if you decide to carry on instead.
Donít give them any ideas!
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:12 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
It's nice when you're arriving at an airport that doesn't have many elites (and they actually pull the prio bags first), so I'm assuming it would be worthwhile to have double tags at a major hub where everyone is a GS, but then everyone would have double tags so...

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Why does it matter?
Because it makes these people feel special when all the other passengers with a single tags stare!
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You understand that baggage systems are automatic and that nearly the entire process is managed by reading the bar codes, right. The orange flags are there mainly to ease DYKWIA egos.
adambrau and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You understand that baggage systems are automatic and that nearly the entire process is managed by reading the bar codes, right. The orange flags are there mainly to ease DYKWIA egos.
I disagree completely.

1. The system is automatic to the point that the baggage are loaded on the plane,

2. The priority tag helps handlers to separate baggage for priority handling when they are handled manually.

3. While it may no longer happen, priority tag granted my baggage special attention by GAs when I was not yet available to pick them up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: