Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax trapped in the lav, UA1554 (DCA-SFO) diverted to DEN, bring on the bathroom humor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax trapped in the lav, UA1554 (DCA-SFO) diverted to DEN, bring on the bathroom humor

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
More room than E-. She should have been charged an upgrade fee.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by username
Seriously, I read a few years back that many airlines stopped providing oxygen masks for the lavs as a cost-saving thing. I wonder what UA does on that front and what would have happened if there is no oxygen mask and they lost cabin pressure...
It was an FAA Airworthiness Directive.

FAA: No more oxygen in airplane lavatories - Travel - News | NBC News

It disallowed the chemical oxygen generator systems in lavatories. This is the same system that is used above seat passenger seat to generate oxygen after a loss of cabin pressurization. The manufacturers have since designed retrofit systems which provide emergency oxygen in the lavatories without the use of chemical generators.

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2012/...n-systems.aspx
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is there a name for the phenomenon that an event is newsworthy when it happens on an airplane?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2019 at 1:58 pm Reason: cleanup after title correction
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Is there a name for the phenomenon that an event is newsworthy when it happens on an airplane?
Yes. "Man bites dog."

If an event is more unusual or rarer, it gets more attention than similar occurrences with similar consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_bi...g_(journalism)
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
"How's it going in there?"

David
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:23 pm

This happened to me probably 10 years ago on an Allegiant flight. IDA to LAS, about 20 minutes prior to landing I figured I would get rid of the beer I had been drinking. When I went to leave, I pulled up on the handle and felt something snap inside. It was a full flight and the FA started berating me over the speaker to return to my seat right now for landing. I pushed the call button repeatedly until they finally figured out I was stuck. They told me to sit down and braise for landing, I stayed standing and put my back against the forward wall. I wasn’t about to sit down any where. Once we landed, they brought someone on board before letting anyone off and pried the door open with a big screw driver. Once out, everyone started cheering and applauding. I was so embarrassed that I just left and didn’t ask for anything(not that they would have actually done anything for me). On the way to baggage claim, I over heard people telling the story to who ever was picking them up.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sevastras
This happened to me probably 10 years ago on an Allegiant flight. IDA to LAS, about 20 minutes prior to landing I figured I would get rid of the beer I had been drinking. When I went to leave, I pulled up on the handle and felt something snap inside. It was a full flight and the FA started berating me over the speaker to return to my seat right now for landing. I pushed the call button repeatedly until they finally figured out I was stuck. They told me to sit down and braise for landing, I stayed standing and put my back against the forward wall. I wasn’t about to sit down any where. Once we landed, they brought someone on board before letting anyone off and pried the door open with a big screw driver. Once out, everyone started cheering and applauding. I was so embarrassed that I just left and didn’t ask for anything(not that they would have actually done anything for me). On the way to baggage claim, I over heard people telling the story to who ever was picking them up.
What did you braise yourself with?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:50 pm

Who builds and designs these lavatories? Besides being liable for at least a couple lawsuits now, it sounds to me like lavatory egress needs to be engineered to be more fail-proof.
As for the Boeing 737's, I'm concerned about the overwing exits. The automatic flip-out of the doors are great unless the hydraulic cylinder fails...and then opening becomes seriously mechanically disadvantaged.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by transportprof
What did you braise yourself with?
You really don't want to know....
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
The customer is king. This one got to keep the throne.

He went in to let loose, but ended in a tight spot.
HotelHacker and Rumples like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Must have been an awful landing for the passenger in question.
I think it was crappy indeed.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Gotta lav it...
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by DELee
"How's it going in there?"

David
Great! I gave them your name and they gave me a great seat
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I’d be pissed if I got stuck in a lav...even more pissed if it were a slimline lav.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:19 pm

They must have had to work hard to flush him out of there.

Why divert? As long as the plane is in cruise, there's no safety issue, and the danger on descent is the same whether in DEN or SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.