Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-YYZ: UA vs AC in coach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
SeatGuru is a shadow of its formal self and contains a lot of false information.
Perhaps. Although my experience flying that specific route in E+, I found the legroom to be quite adequate for this 5' 8" passenger! Having now taken both AC and UA's service of this route (including on the 787 in the case of AC), I would argue that if OP was seated in Y they would be better served by UA than AC. Again if TPIR for PY or even J then yes, AC would be the logical choice, particularly if you don't mind arriving a little late.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
SeatGuru is a shadow of its formal self and contains a lot of obsolete and outright false information.
There's no way it can keep up with how rapidly everybody's rearranging their seats.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Perhaps. Although my experience flying that specific route in E+, I found the legroom to be quite adequate for this 5' 8" passenger! Having now taken both AC and UA's service of this route (including on the 787 in the case of AC), I would argue that if OP was seated in Y they would be better served by UA than AC. Again if TPIR for PY or even J then yes, AC would be the logical choice, particularly if you don't mind arriving a little late.

Safe Travels,

James
Are United's extra-legroom economy seats better than AC's?

I assumed that 35 inches are 35 inches, but I have minimal experience on UA compared to you.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I assumed that 35 inches are 35 inches, but I have minimal experience on UA compared to you.
E+ legroom varies quite a bit depending on the row selected. Generally speaking, the bulkhead and emergency exit rows are the best when it comes to legroom, often exceeding the 35 inches you quoted. Having flown my fair share of UA and AC birds, I can confirm that there seems to be a difference in the leg-room of AC's preferred seats versus UA's E+ for those bulkhead/emergency exit rows with UA seeming to offer more. That being said, I haven't pull out a tape measure on these flights to compare row by row which offering is better.

For reference, here's what an emergency over-wing exit row looks like on a UA 777:

I would challenge anyone to find comparable legroom from a preferred seat on AC's 777HD.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I would challenge anyone to find comparable legroom from a preferred seat on AC's 777HD.

Safe Travels,

James
I would challenge anyone to find comparable lack of shoulder room from an AC 777HD seat.
I would also challenge anyone to find a bigger pax/lav ratio than an AC 777HD
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

you’d think, but there are other things.

i’s say in NHs IOJ configuraed 777 which is supposedly 34 inches, but definitely felt cramped compared to UA in E+ on the return of the same trip, also supposedly 34 inches. The shell seats in NH definitely don’t help, they ‘recline’ by the seat sliding forward, so it gets more cramped by the knee as you ‘recline’. Even sitting straight up, I feel like they were more cramped, but not sure if that was real or perceived.

it’s been quite a while since I’ve flown AC on anything but a short hop, typically on a route like CVG-YYZ on a CR2 - where at least I can get a non-stop. That’s the only reason I’d ever fly AC on a route like that.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would challenge anyone to find comparable lack of shoulder room from an AC 777HD seat.
I would also challenge anyone to find a bigger pax/lav ratio than an AC 777HD
I would challenge you to find a 777 on the SFO-YYZ route.
Also to be fair, a second photo of that 777 leg room is needed to show what it looks &smells like when ten people are standing there waiting for the loo.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Funny you should mention that. AC does appear to be running 777s on this route:

Also to be fair, a second photo of that 777 leg room is needed to show what it looks &smells like when ten people are standing there waiting for the loo.
That is true. Fortunately, I have seasonal allergies which prevents me from smelling those things. Also, being able to pull out an inflatable ottoman and have a true lie-flat experience in Y is priceless!

-James
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I recently flew a AC 777 YYZ LAX, which is essentially the same experience, and thankfully we had an empty middle seat. I cannot imagine anyone sitting in that horrific seat for 12+ hours from YYZ to Asia or Europe. I had chafing on my skin from the seat pocket rubbing against my leg, and even with an empty middle seat, there was barely any room to get free of the pocket, and I am by no means very tall.

UA E+ might have the same problem with shoulder space, but it will definitely take care of the legroom issue.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
It's the law, or some opportunist will sue for even the slightest omission:

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-french-lawsuit/
I’m sitting in the boarding area at YEG at the moment. The UA gate agents are delivering all of the announcements in English (only).
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I’m sitting in the boarding area at YEG at the moment. The UA gate agents are delivering all of the announcements in English (only).
it’s the law for a former Canadian crown corporation airline that had language requirements as part of its condition to transition to a private company. Unless UA meets that definition, it’s not the law.

And it’s already been sufficiently discussed upthread. In 15+ years of flying UA transborder out of YYZ and YVR, I’ve never once heard a UA agent speak in French. On every Air Canada flight, both at the gate and onboard, which I’ve taken for 30+ years, always in both languages.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
One more time, I misread the original post, and thought it was an AC flight. Your post is noted.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
One more time, I misread the original post, and thought it was an AC flight. Your post is noted.
No worries. I just thought it interesting that a UA GA at ORD did announcements in English and French while in Canada (YEG) they did them only in English.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No worries. I just thought it interesting that a UA GA at ORD did announcements in English and French while in Canada (YEG) they did them only in English.
again, probably due to the likely makeup of the pax. A YEG-anywhere UA flies flight is likely going to have very few, if any, French speakers on board. An ORD-YQB flight will likely have a good percentage of Quebec-based pax who use French as their everyday language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.