Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-YYZ: UA vs AC in coach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Yes, I've been to the UCs at Newark, though not the temporary one at C-3. There's nothing wrong with the one at C-1 other than the air conditioning (which I'm told is under control of the Port Authority).

Don't remember going to the domestic MLL at YYZ.

Have you been to the domestic MLL at YEG? It's a broom closet compared to anything else.
That's the only thing wrong with UCs at EWR? Crowding not an issue for you? And that's a real issue with a lot of UCs these days - everyone and the entire extended family have credit cards and day passes. Some UCs have gotten to the point where often there are no available seats, no food (left), not even some crackers and cheese, loud and obnoxious lounge goers. Sadly, similar scenes at Polaris lounge as well (loud and obnoxious part); probably same kids running around after a stay at Embassy.

Also, stop using plastic cups. Spend some money and get real glassware.

I will say it one more time, both lounge networks are average, and that's being generous. There are good UCs, there are good MLLs; and there are also bad ones. The main reason I have rated MLL higher (by a notch) is due to crowding/noise level, shower availability, and work areas.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by j2simpso
(i.e. UA doesn't serve meals on hour long flights in J yet AC does)
Please elaborate on which hour-long flights AC serves meals on other than breakfast. 500 mile flights are usually cheese plates on AC. ~800 miles is basically the cutoff for meal service on either airline.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Santander
Please elaborate on which hour-long flights AC serves meals on other than breakfast. 500 mile flights are usually cheese plates on AC. ~800 miles is basically the cutoff for meal service on either airline.
Here’s the meal served on my hour long flight to Philly a littler over a week ago In J:

Salmon and vegetable plate. I rest my case

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Looks like a snack to me.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Santander
Looks like a snack to me.
for comparison my flight in F from ORD to YYZ on CoUniHound:

You can’t tell me that the snack UA provided on this flights holds a candle to my meal on AC. Also note the blatant violation of plating rules on AC: ceramic dish, silverware and glasses are a no no by CoUniHounds rules

-James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The transborder MLL at YYZ might be big, might not be crowded (at least when I've been in it) but it's still a dump. Anyone flying between LAX and YYZ will think the UC at LAX is the Taj Mahal by comparison.
The YYZ transborder is always crowded when I go! The YUL transborder is even worse, IMO. The food is not that great, the lounge is the size of a postage stamp, and the white wine is barely drinkable (the UC house white is better!). The main plus is the tarmac views which are fantastic.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by epi231
I am looking to fly my husband (no UA or AC status) red-eye SFO-YYZ in coach. UA has a 737, while AC has a 787; departure times are similar.

Any preference? I am leaning toward AC given the aircraft type, but I haven’t flown AC much, so don’t really know what the experience would be like.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Unless your husband is under 5"8" or you are looking for a chance to get him back for something, this is sort of a question of "would you like to be shot or hung"

Air Canada is a bottom feeder airline, late all the time, and very uncomfortable in Y. Had you said it was a 777 on AC I - and everyone else would have told you to take UA. The 787 has slightly less effective seat width than a 737, but it also is a wide body, so you can walk around.

Neither airline has decent service, both are bad in Coach. As to UA, the 737-800 is vastly superior to the 737-900ER. Seats are better and it has IFE in most birds. The 737-900 is a really uncomfortable dingy aircraft on UA.

I would probably say (given that you can choose your seats on UA and not on AC) I would go UA 737-800 (if on route) > AC 787 > UA 737-900ER. But as others have said, if your husband is over 5'8" and you are not trying to get him back for something, I would look at either paying for AC PE or UA E+.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88
I would probably say (given that you can choose your seats on UA and not on AC) I would go UA 737-800 (if on route) > AC 787 > UA 737-900ER. But as others have said, if your husband is over 5'8" and you are not trying to get him back for something, I would look at either paying for AC PE or UA E+.
Those are two very different products.

AC PY on that route is very similar to what you'd get in UA J on a 4+ hour flight on anything other than a p.s. route.
Hot meal with two options, free drinks/snacks, 38 inch pitch, 19 inch width, 7 inch recline.

UA E+ is the equivalent of an AC preferred seat.
34 inch pitch, ~17 inch width, 3 inch recline.

I've seen too many posts on both AC and UA forums asking why AC PY is hundreds of dollars more than Y, when UA E+ is only $50 more than UA Y, and just want to ensure that's clarified.

One benefit of choosing AC is that you may find a very cheap PY LMU at check-in (I think the lowest I've heard is a bit under $150 for that route), but you can also get no offer and end up stuck in Y.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Those are two very different products.

AC PY on that route is very similar to what you'd get in UA J on a 4+ hour flight on anything other than a p.s. route.
Hot meal with two options, free drinks/snacks, 38 inch pitch, 19 inch width, 7 inch recline.

I've seen too many posts on both AC and UA forums asking why AC PY is hundreds of dollars more than Y, when UA E+ is only $50 more than UA Y, and just want to ensure that's clarified.

One benefit of choosing AC is that you may find a very cheap PY LMU at check-in (I think the lowest I've heard is a bit under $150 for that route), but you can also get no offer and end up stuck in Y.
True. By the same token, you can end up in UA F for less than AC PY. Who’s to say?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:25 pm

Not true. Per SeatGuru the seating config for the UA flight is 37 inches in E+:

Meanwhile at AC the PY seat pitch is 38 inches in PY.

I think the argument here is actually why bother paying $200 USD upgrading from Y to PY on AC during check-in when UA regularly has similarly priced upgrades from Y to F. That being said, I suspect there is more PY inventory on AC than there is F to say nothing of J on that bird. You are correct in saying that there is a difference between E+ on UA and PY on AC, namely it's a 2-3-2 configuration versus 3-3 on the narrow body so fewer neighbours. The addition of the hot meal is also a key difference, since UA has yet to implement hot meals in E+ on this route (they have on p.s. routes like EWR <-> SFO)

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
738 seat pitch on UA is 34" in E+ after slimlining. You're looking at the old configuration which ends at row 37.
Santander and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:41 pm

My apologies for grabbing my data from AC and UA's own websites.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
My apologies for grabbing my data from AC and UA's own websites.
Everything I see on united.com is showing 34” for 738 E+.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:28 pm

Everything I see on united.com is showing 34” for 738 E+.
Which is what I said
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Per SeatGuru the seating config for the UA flight is 37 inches in E+
SeatGuru is a shadow of its formal self and contains a lot of obsolete and outright false information.
Santander and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.