SFO-YYZ: UA vs AC in coach

Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by leonidas
AC is a superior airline in general. Go for AC.
As a Canadian I can only say: you could not be more wrong.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by transportprof
You'll never get a whole can of soda out of an AC flight attendant in Y. On UA, you stand a chance if you ask nicely....
Fascinating. For as long as I can remember, I and countless others have provided them upon request.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You'll never get a whole can of soda out of an AC flight attendant in Y. On UA, you stand a chance if you ask nicely....
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Fascinating. For as long as I can remember, I and countless others have provided them upon request.
I was going to say - I'm not in mainline Y much, but they're never looking at my status when I'm all the way back there, and I have always asked for the can and always received it.

In fact, I recall a YHZ-YYZ (so a fair bit shorter than SFO-YYZ) where I had 2 or 3 cans of Coke Zero on the flight.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was going to say - I'm not in mainline Y much, but they're never looking at my status when I'm all the way back there, and I have always asked for the can and always received it.

In fact, I recall a YHZ-YYZ (so a fair bit shorter than SFO-YYZ) where I had 2 or 3 cans of Coke Zero on the flight.
And if we happen to be out of one, you offer an alternative. That's In-Flight Service 101
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Another canadian here hopping in on this thread - reminder that the OP asked about the SFO-YYZ redeye, a flight that I do more often than I want (e.g. 2 thursdays ago, tonight, next-next thursday, and next-next-next thursday)

With no status, I would go for UA and pay for E+

Screw the stroopwaffels, screw the soft product and the full vs not full can of soft drinks. This is a redeye with a 6~7am arrival.

I don't know about you, but the first thing I'm going to do is conk out -- and that's what I will optimize for. With UA, once the FA comes to the exit row and hears you say "Yes", you're basically free to go unconscious for the next 5.5 hours. With AC, I can't -- the exit-row-guard-FA freaking woke me up during AC's bilingual safety video to get me to remove my safety video "noise" cancelling earbuds. Not very optimal for getting to sleep asap
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maradori
(...) the exit-row-guard-FA freaking woke me up during AC's bilingual safety video (...)
Almost forgot about the annoying bilingual video and announcements. That thing is worse than UA's Spiderman safety video.
(and this is coming from someone who lived several years in Montreal and speak french)
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
What soft product? There is nothing on AC except one drink service (and dont even try asking for the whole can) on these flights With United, you ll get a snack.

AC 787s are extremely uncomfortable in regular Y with tight pitch and even tighter shoulder space. And more importantly, without status, you can select seats until check in on low fares - so you ll almost guaranteed to end up in the middle - or as a couple - sitting separately.

Maybe 10 years ago. AC Y, without status, is one of the worst Y experiences in the world.
I flew more than 50K BIS last year on AC, mostly in Y. Its 787 flights were some of the best experiences I have had in Y - on TCON and TATL flights.

On the drinks, my experiences have been totally different.

You guys do know UA have middle seats too, right?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I am glad to read that United is not the only airline out there that is consistently inconsistent when it comes to the onboard experience. I've lived in Canada for 35 years, and while I do fondly recall drinking full cans of soda in coach in the past, it has not happened to me recently. But it is still good to know that it does happen sometimes.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by leoo
Almost forgot about the annoying bilingual video and announcements. That thing is worse than UA's Spiderman safety video.
(and this is coming from someone who lived several years in Montreal and speak french)
Speaking of bilingual, I noticed last week at ORD the UA gate agent for a YUL or YQB flight did all of the gate announcements in both English and French.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Speaking of bilingual, I noticed last week at ORD the UA gate agent for a YUL or YQB flight did all of the gate announcements in both English and French.
It's the law, or some opportunist will sue for even the slightest omission:

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-french-lawsuit/
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
It's worse on certain international flights where you have to listen to the same announcements 3 times - happy to have noise cancelling headphones.

Opportunist indeed.
This whole thing isn't AC's fault but annoying anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I hated having to fly AC on SFO-YYZ. Cramped seating without E+, and there's no service (not much different on UA though).
rankourabu likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Could the law really extend to a non-Canadian airline departing from a non-Canadian airport? If people like the couple in the lawsuit had their way, all flights on all airlines departing to Canada would have to use French and English.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MM

It’s not the law in the USA, which is where this was, nor was it an AC flight.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Its barely a 5 hour flight.... In Y.

The experience should be about the same on both (equally underwhelming) yet will manage to get him from point A to B
With the worst OTP in North America championed by AC - statistically, one should get the OP there more on time

You guys do know UA have middle seats too, right?
You know UA lets you assign windows/aisles/seats together ahead of time, while AC does not (for free), right?
Kacee and leoo like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.