FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Best Inflight Hack? Hold onto your cocktail nuts! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1988705-best-inflight-hack-hold-onto-your-cocktail-nuts.html)

liddy0021 Sep 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Best Inflight Hack? Hold onto your cocktail nuts!

Recently I was enlightened to a new experience that I'm sure many of you are already aware of, but perhaps haven't shared in this forum before: the saving of my cocktail nuts until the sundae course, so as to use them as a sundae topping! Whoa - if you're into delayed gratification, this hack is for you! Salty and sweet all at once, my mind was blown. :o 1000x better than the slivered almonds on offer.

It got me to thinking, what are some of the other nuggets of wisdom out there, that I have yet to figure out....

Please spill!

cubsfan312 Sep 25, 2019 12:11 am

This also may be obvious, but it was shown to me by a LH FA who I was flying next to on a UA flight a few weeks ago and my mind was blown. You can sit your stroopwafel on top of your scalding hot coffee or tea for a few minutes. Win-win...the coffee/tea cools down and you get a gooey cookie to eat! (Yes, I'm aware it shows you how to eat the cookie on the packaging, but I thought that was for show -- I didn't know people actually did that)

MatthewLAX Sep 25, 2019 1:09 am

Originally Posted by liddy0021 (Post 31560734)
Recently I was enlightened to a new experience that I'm sure many of you are already aware of, but perhaps haven't shared in this forum before: the saving of my cocktail nuts until the sundae course, so as to use them as a sundae topping! Whoa - if you're into delayed gratification, this hack is for you! Salty and sweet all at once, my mind was blown. :o 1000x better than the slivered almonds on offer.

It got me to thinking, what are some of the other nuggets of wisdom out there, that I have yet to figure out....

Please spill!

Originally Posted by cubsfan312 (Post 31561003)
This also may be obvious, but it was shown to me by a LH FA who I was flying next to on a UA flight a few weeks ago and my mind was blown. You can sit your stroopwafel on top of your scalding hot coffee or tea for a few minutes. Win-win...the coffee/tea cools down and you get a gooey cookie to eat! (Yes, I'm aware it shows you how to eat the cookie on the packaging, but I thought that was for show -- I didn't know people actually did that)

More so than the nuts on ice cream, I love to add a stroopwafel and biscoffs to my ice cream sundae. What a difference!

emcampbe Sep 25, 2019 5:33 am

yup. UA actually had this in their marketing when they first started serving Stroopwafels. I think there was an article explaining this on hub.united.com. Also believe this is relatively common in Europe.

riphamilton Sep 25, 2019 6:21 am

use a fork to poke a hole in your foil sealed salad dressing/yogurt prior to opening it, so that the lower cabin pressure won’t cause the dressing to squirt all over your tray.

Repooc17 Sep 25, 2019 6:25 am

Sometimes I have experienced FAs serving nuts separate from drinks. Those nuts would be gone before the drink arrival (usually this is due to a delayed departure after the door has closed and long first cart run).

I have also ordered two sundaes before, both with everything. Delayed gratification doesn't quite do it for me.

narvik Sep 25, 2019 6:29 am

Something learned from FT:
open the salt & pepper shakers by splitting them in half using your fingernail initially to pry them apart. It's the only way to actually get anything out of them!

OT: another hack for the Air China business class lounge at PEK;
to improve the sandwiches that are on offer, grab your favourite combination of tomato/lettuce, beef, cheese, or chicken, and combine two of those flavors and then proceed to the bar area and grab a cream cheese wedge from the fridge. Makes an otherwise bland sandwich quite enjoyable.

eng3 Sep 25, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by liddy0021 (Post 31560734)
... saving of my cocktail nuts until the sundae course...

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it.

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 31561558)
use a fork to poke a hole in your foil sealed salad dressing/yogurt prior to opening it, so that the lower cabin pressure won’t cause the dressing to squirt all over your tray.

I've heard about this but I've never had this issue

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31561569)
I have also ordered two sundaes before, both with everything. Delayed gratification doesn't quite do it for me.

TWO? and I thought asking for the pastries and the sundae was a being gluttonous.

zrs70 Sep 25, 2019 7:23 am

1. Put a scoop of ice cream in your coffee

2. Potato chips in your sandwich

3. Sparkling water in fruit juice

risenmyth Sep 25, 2019 7:52 am

I would do this in a heartbeat, at least before the water-quality news came out...
Now the dreams are gone.

seanp7 Sep 25, 2019 7:59 am

Use the Polaris refresher cloth as a smartphone / tablet cleaner. (not the hot towel). Not as mindblowing as nuts on a sundae (?!) but it does the trick and reduces inflight boredom! ;)

meducate Sep 25, 2019 8:09 am

My sundae hack: ask the FA to be creative. I usually suggest that they use a salad bowl instead of the usual smaller bowl provided. Then I ask for all the toppings and anything else they think would be good. Then I ask them to pour Bailey's over the top.

One transatlantic crew said that they wanted to be the best ever, so they made an airplane out of cups and other items, placed it around my sundae, and labeled it "meducate airways" (they actually used my last name). Other crews have added chocolates (I usually bring a box for the crew), others have added a banana from the breakfast cart, and others have added cookies.

BThumme Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am

Not mine but I read from another on here:

For flights that have wifi - even if you dont pay, you can still access United Services. There was one guy who wanted a specific rebooking option he couldn't get. He would email his itinerary to his wife via ua.com , and there was an option to add a note. So he would email her, for free, his situation and what exact flights/rebooking help he was looking for so his wife could call and get him rebooked.

Always thought that was neat.

emcampbe Sep 25, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 31561928)
Not mine but I read from another on here:

For flights that have wifi - even if you dont pay, you can still access United Services. There was one guy who wanted a specific rebooking option he couldn't get. He would email his itinerary to his wife via ua.com , and there was an option to add a note. So he would email her, for free, his situation and what exact flights/rebooking help he was looking for so his wife could call and get him rebooked.

Always thought that was neat.

yup - UA.com/app. I’ve actually used that to submit feedback as a situation might happen- in flight. Save me from needing to do it later. Plus some extras on 737 flights:

- ‘Partner’ sites - Hertz, Marriott, and I forget but there are a few others (note: apps don’t work, just sites on your browser (actually, I think this is on 737 and UAX/GoGo).
- Messages on iPhone (just for text - no photos/media and only as iMessages - not as regular texts)
- many push notifications will come through, though the sites apps won’t work - I know I’ve gotten Facebook notifications, CNN news alerts, etc.
-

eng3 Sep 25, 2019 9:27 am

Since we are on WIFI, Depending on the system, many google sites work. If you really want to take it all the way, you can essentially create a google hosted web proxy to browse other sites. I've never actually paid for wifi. Everytime I paid for it, it stopped working halfway through the flight. I'd then either get a refund or a ECT (usually much higher value)

You can use the inflight magazine(s), credit card brochure card, etc to put on the empty area of an extended tray table. It gives you more area. I wouldnt stick a drink on that area but your stuff you dont mind falling on the floor (empty snack box, etc)

For those loose power outlets, you can take the credit card brochure, fold and bend it into an L shape so that it holds up your power adapter and doesnt fall out. It's hit or miss.