Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Inflight Hack? Hold onto your cocktail nuts!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Inflight Hack? Hold onto your cocktail nuts!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by timesnaps
...2. If seated underneath the window seat with glaring side lights on, use the emergency cards and pry them gently into the gap between the top and side panel, then bend them and slide the other side into the gap where the lights end - voila darkness returns!
Amenity kit comes with an eye mask as well. It helps if you want to sleep on a day flight where some window shades might be open.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You're like the Mr. Pillows of inflight desserts
Clearly a title that I happily and humbly accept!
bocastephen and drewguy like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by threeoh
I usually lift the aisle armrest (in Y) to slide over into the aisle as I stand up while deboarding, instead of standing up and smacking my head into the overhead bin or standing in a weird crouched position waiting for the aisle to clear, which is what everyone else does. You have to find the little hidden button to get it to go up, varies by seat model.
More times than not, the person on the other side of the aisle gets wide-eyed and asks how I did that.
timesnaps and PushingTin like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:37 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
I guess it could also be used to pour over the ice cream, but I often carry one of these to access drinkable espresso / coffee, since even Polaris does not have that:

https://www.wacaco.com/collections/s.../minipresso-ns
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Lightbulb

In Polaris class on 777 aircraft (777-300 for sure, maybe 200 also) the bulkhead window seats (9A, 9L, 1A, 1L) have a bassinet receptacle in front of the seat that can be used as "auxiliary storage." Often has a bonus pillow inside as well. (FA showed me this one time - BTW she also said United's current policy is not to sell Polaris seats to people traveling with infants because it disturbs other high fare passengers).

You can end up with a lot of plastic-wrap waste in BC from blankets, mattress wrapper, pajamas, slippers, etc. There is a "grab bar" handle on the top of each Polaris seatback to assist with standing/sitting. I roll up/wad the plastic and stick it under the bar so it is out of the way but visible to the FAs who will (usually) dispose of it as they walk by.

And finally, once upon a time you could Kaluha+Bailey's+TripleSec = B52 (but not today).

Last edited by dav3d; Sep 26, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:39 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by dav3d
BTW she also said United's current policy is not to sell Polaris seats to people traveling with infants because it disturbs other high fare passengers).
I don't believe this whatsoever.
wxguy and chavala like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz President, Marriott Gold
Pour the strawberry topping over the cheesecake for, guess what, a strawberry cheesecake (and it is not thaaaat dry).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
yup. UA actually had this in their marketing when they first started serving Stroopwafels. I think there was an article explaining this on hub.united.com. Also believe this is relatively common in Europe.
Indeed. I've seen this in Amsterdam
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
BTW she also said United's current policy is not to sell Polaris seats to people traveling with infants because it disturbs other high fare passengers).
I don't believe this whatsoever.
Agree, but child seats are not allowed in most polaris cabins
Child safety seats or restraint systems are also not permitted in first class on three-cabin 767 or 777-200 aircraft, on 757-200 aircraft with rear-facing seats, or in United Polaris® business class on 767, 777 and 787 aircraft.
But to stay on topic here, the Polaris cabin & child seat topic is cover in here and here and here and other threads
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
In J, at least in the window seats, stuff your blanket into the side cracks to reduce the impact of accidentally dropping something important (ie. phone) and having it go down one of the cracks.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Here’s a trick I use all the time, take mini clothes pin with you on your flight. When meals are served, clip the napkin to you shirt/blouse. Works better than those button holes napkin and when the napkins has no holes. Works in all class of service. Sure it may look a little funny, but not as embarrassing as traveling with a stain on your shirt/blouse.
I flew in Austrian last week. OS actually gives you the tiniest little clothespin you’ve ever seen in your napkin-wrapped cutlery to do just this. I swear it was less than 1/4” long, maybe 1/16” wide (maybe 6mm x 2mm). Tiny.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:24 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
In Polaris class on 777 aircraft (777-300 for sure, maybe 200 also) the bulkhead window seats (9A, 9L, 1A, 1L) have a bassinet receptacle in front of the seat that can be used as "auxiliary storage." Often has a bonus pillow inside as well.
I always try to get the bulkheads if available, but never looked inside. Not sure how clean they are though...
...BTW she also said United's current policy is not to sell Polaris seats to people traveling with infants because it disturbs other high fare passengers
I've seen pax sitting in Polaris bulkheads with infants, so not sure if this policy is new/changed.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

In Polaris class on 777 aircraft (777-300 for sure, maybe 200 also) the bulkhead window seats (9A, 9L, 1A, 1L) have a bassinet receptacle in front of the seat that can be used as "auxiliary storage." Often has a bonus pillow inside as well. ....
I've always wondered what that was for. I've never actually seen an installed bassinet. Does it provide some additional security over holding in the lap (ie. straps to hold the baby?)

I've seen the extra pillows in there but I assumed that was excess storage for the crew to use, not for the passengers. But I assume if you want another pillow, you can just ask the FA.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
I flew in Austrian last week. OS actually gives you the tiniest little clothespin you’ve ever seen in your napkin-wrapped cutlery to do just this. I swear it was less than 1/4” long, maybe 1/16” wide (maybe 6mm x 2mm). Tiny.
That clothespin seems similar to the one used to affix the little paper airplane in one of the Polaris Lounge's signature drinks, the "Cloud Cover:"
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by liddy0021
Recently I was enlightened to a new experience that I'm sure many of you are already aware of, but perhaps haven't shared in this forum before: the saving of my cocktail nuts until the sundae course, so as to use them as a sundae topping! Whoa - if you're into delayed gratification, this hack is for you! Salty and sweet all at once, my mind was blown. 1000x better than the slivered almonds on offer.

It got me to thinking, what are some of the other nuggets of wisdom out there, that I have yet to figure out....

Please spill!
I don't see how this would be good. These days the nuts are already soggy when served, I can't believe they'd be improved by letting this sit around for awhile.

On a recent flight they had boarded mini m&ms as a topping. Yum.

Originally Posted by riphamilton
use a fork to poke a hole in your foil sealed salad dressing/yogurt prior to opening it, so that the lower cabin pressure won’t cause the dressing to squirt all over your tray.
I agree with the approach to just slowly open it away from you. Belt and suspecters, but I've wound up with yogurt or salad dressing on my shirt one time too many.

Originally Posted by BThumme
Not mine but I read from another on here:

For flights that have wifi - even if you dont pay, you can still access United Services. There was one guy who wanted a specific rebooking option he couldn't get. He would email his itinerary to his wife via ua.com , and there was an option to add a note. So he would email her, for free, his situation and what exact flights/rebooking help he was looking for so his wife could call and get him rebooked.

Always thought that was neat.
This sounds like a great hack. I guess you could use that note to send any kind of message you wanted? Like "Hi, sweetie, can we have pizza for dinner"?
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.