Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No *G contract lounge access for UA Y pax at some outstations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No *G contract lounge access for UA Y pax at some outstations?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
Certainly could be PRG, but in that case, their original post wouldn't make senes as they seem to indicate that C on UA got access, but not *G (LH SEN) in Y. Still need to OP to let us in on the big secret as to which lounge they are referring to.
The Star Lounge Finder isn’t the definitive source for lounge access since lounge policies are always changing and the fine folks in Frankfurt aren’t always sent a note about this. Also IIRC UA launched PRG service recently so it could be a newly inked deal. However, as others have noted that contract could only be for J passengers which is at the prerogative of the airline. I’ve been to contract lounges at DPS flying SQ Y and could get in due to me being Star Gold but that’s not universal.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't think there is anyone here who would equate ORD with outstation.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well apparently there is one such person
Given the people move being out of service and the sub standard UC, I still think it’s a valid criticism. Compare the UC at LHR to the one at ORD and there’s no comparison! LHR is the hub, ORD is the outstation
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Given the people move being out of service and the sub standard UC, I still think it’s a valid criticism. Compare the UC at LHR to the one at ORD and there’s no comparison! LHR is the hub, ORD is the outstation
IME the UCs at ORD are some of the best in the US (but maybe I am biased because it has hot food - also not sure I've been to all of them but B6 is nice). Obviously LHR is no comparison.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:59 pm

Also forgot to mention, could the OP confirm if PRG was the outstation airport in question? If so, could they comment on which lounge they were granted access to when flying UA in J? I'll craft a letter to Mr. Goh in Frankfurt to get that ditty updated. You may also want to check with UA since they it may be a training issue (i.e. they intended to let all *Gold travelling on UA to access the lounge but that message didn't reach the dragons).

Originally Posted by findark
IME the UCs at ORD are some of the best in the US (but maybe I am biased because it has hot food - also not sure I've been to all of them but B6 is nice). Obviously LHR is no comparison.
Perhaps I'm missing something here but isn't UA a US based airline? If so, they should really shine on their home soil before they even think of shining on foreign soil. Also UCs at ORD aren't created equally and not everyone has the time/luxury to go to different concourses to access the better ones.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
IME the UCs at ORD are some of the best in the US (but maybe I am biased because it has hot food - also not sure I've been to all of them but B6 is nice).
In my book, the B6 Club is tied with LAX for best food of any domestic UC.

If we're going to criticize UCs at hubs, let's start with EWR. At outstations, I nominate PHX.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Star Lounge Finder isn’t the definitive source for lounge access since lounge policies are always changing and the fine folks in Frankfurt aren’t always sent a note about this. Also IIRC UA launched PRG service recently so it could be a newly inked deal. However, as others have noted that contract could only be for J passengers which is at the prerogative of the airline. I’ve been to contract lounges at DPS flying SQ Y and could get in due to me being Star Gold but that’s not universal.

Also forgot to mention, could the OP confirm if PRG was the outstation airport in question? If so, could they comment on which lounge they were granted access to when flying UA in J? I'll craft a letter to Mr. Goh in Frankfurt to get that ditty updated. You may also want to check with UA since they it may be a training issue (i.e. they intended to let all *Gold travelling on UA to access the lounge but that message didn't reach the dragons).

Perhaps I'm missing something here but isn't UA a US based airline? If so, they should really shine on their home soil before they even think of shining on foreign soil. Also UCs at ORD aren't created equally and not everyone has the time/luxury to go to different concourses to access the better ones.
I would consider LHR a legacy United Club, from when UA positioned its cabins and its lounges very differently than it does today. It might be more fair to compare LHR to the Polaris Lounges.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's please return to the thread's topic -- access to contract lounges for *G when flying UA
And for the purpose of this discussion -- "outstations" are either UA non-hubs and/or locations without a standard *A lounge.
There are other threads for the discussion of United Clubs.

Thank you

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
I'm going to make some assumptions based on OP's profile. He's flying the non-stop PRG->EWR service on UA and is LH*G. Per the Star Alliance finder website, there are no *Gold lounges at PRG. The only lounges available for * are contract lounges. However, they are only with LX, OS, JP, LH, OU, TK, SN, LO and A3. Hence, he would not be able to access any lounge at PRG regardless of cabin or status flying UA. If he was flying any of the other listed airlines then sure. In which case I'd argue that he should be arguing about the quality of the airport he is departing from and/or carefully consider next time the airline he chooses to book if he is so keen on getting lounge access.

Next time look at connecting at a * hub like FRA, ZRH, VIE or alternatively a UA hub like LHR. I can understand your frustration and have been there before (i.e. the UA outstation ORD which does not have a suitable lounge a story for another day).

Safe Travels,

James
Bravo, your assumptions are almost 100% correct.

Actually the case is even more complicated: I flew PRG-EWR in August in Y and DID have access to the lounge (bottom line: nothing to write home about, UA actually contracted the worse one of the two available in that specific concourse). Then a friend of mine (also a non-UA *G) flew the same route a few days ago and was turned away, citing the contract lounge being for C pax only; so I was wondering if it is just PRG or also somewhere else. Of course 99% of my lonhgaul travels are via FRA/MUC/ZRH and so it will remain for multiple reasons, but this time I just wanted to break the routine and fly another routing.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your contributions, did not really expect such fervent response, from now on I will definitely keep an eye out whenever flying from an UA outstation without a Star Alliance lounge.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by NightFly
Actually the case is even more complicated: I flew PRG-EWR in August in Y and DID have access to the lounge (bottom line: nothing to write home about, UA actually contracted the worse one of the two available in that specific concourse). Then a friend of mine (also a non-UA *G) flew the same route a few days ago and was turned away, citing the contract lounge being for C pax only; so I was wondering if it is just PRG or also somewhere else. Of course 99% of my lonhgaul travels are via FRA/MUC/ZRH and so it will remain for multiple reasons, but this time I just wanted to break the routine and fly another routing.
Did your friend show his *Gold card at the lounge (in addition to boarding pass)? Generally speaking if the contract lounge lets *G in their program access to the lounge when travelling with them they will do the same for *G in other programs (supposing again they are flying the airline). This was certainly the case when I flew DPS > SIN on SQ as *G in Y. You May want to write UA for clarification but that would be somewhat surprising. As a general rule you should have your physical/digital card on hand and show it to the agent whenever you go to a contract lounge since they will flip some circuits in their mind! This isn’t true for *G lounges since the dragons there know the rules inside or out (or have been smack in the head by a binder by Oscar Munőz in the case of LH a story for another day)

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.