Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Google Flights vs United.com for finding cheaper / better flight segment combinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights vs United.com for finding cheaper / better flight segment combinations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
So the nontechnical answer is that googleflights has a better search engine, and this can result in better fares.

In Y, I think I'd choose the SQ itinerary at $1320. Better product, shorter travel time.
While agreeing about certain aspects, also agree with the below

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I always check the Matrix/Google Flights before I buy anything but I often find much cheaper F-cabin options on .bomb or even Expedia, etc. The rule should be to check multiple airfare search engines/OTAs before making a purchase.
Same here even if I predominately book on united.com (and avoid Expedia for international trips -- too many schedule change / refund issues / non-existent customer support with Expedia)

No one search engine is prefect and there are issues with each. But price / convenience shopping is a good idea.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just to be clear, if OP were to actually click on the box that says "$4,758" and proceed to select a return option, .com will show returns via FRA at the correct ($2,xxx) price. It's basically just failing to figure the "lowest price" round-trip option from among the possible returns.

Personally, I always read the fare table before booking international travel, but YMMV
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:44 pm

Cheaper through Google flights link vs United.com

Hi all, I don't usually fly United so rarely ever used their website for booking. Currently looking at a trip to Buenos Aires in the winter, and found an interesting glitch. Wondering if anybody else has ran into this before?

Business Roundtrip YVR-IAH-EZE-IAH-YVR on Nov 3-10 shows $3667 CAD on google flights, and when booked with United using google's link, this price shows up in my cart.

However, just searching for this flight from United's website gives a whopping $20002 CAD!

Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
o.k., that is normal. I am sure there are some codeshares involved that google flights in 'calling up'. United.com won't search these; an agent can book them.
Always important to search in various different ways, in particular for intl trips
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not that uncommon.

It may not actually ticket on united.com.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not that uncommon.

It may not actually ticket on united.com.
I was able to ticket it on the lower price from google, paid with their conversion of USD.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:06 pm

Question Flights not available on united.com

When searching to flights on United.com I quite often find less flights available than when searching for the same itinerary. For example, I just booked flights from MFE to BZE that departed MFE at 9:47am. I booked that flight with a link from Kayak.

When I tried to find these same flights on United.com (before and after finding the Kayak flight), they don't show up on United.

Any idea why Kayak would have more flights than United.com for the same itinerary?

thanks
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If these are both UA flights, multiple city is a booking option on united.com

United.com does not do an exhaustive search and may not show those with longer travel times or significantly more costly or ....

Google Flights also does a better discovery and can link you back to united.com to purchase
jsloan and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:52 am

Are you saying that some 3rd party sites like Google Flights and Kayak can do a better job of searching for United flights than United.com?

Last edited by iowa guy; Jun 24, 2023 at 7:57 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Are you saying that some 3rd party sites like Google Flights and Kayak can do a better job of searching for United flights than United.com?
Yes, particularly if you’re looking for anything but the shortest possible connection time.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I always start my search from 3rd party consolidators rather than direct with carriers. Comparison shopping allow me to get the best schedule/cost with all options on the table.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
It would be helpful if you provided more details on flights you booked. Do your flights involve an overnight layover? Many international fares allow layovers of up to 24 hours, but airline sites fare searches will often not show such options, while a number of third party fare search sites will. This isn't unique to United's website. Note that they all basically have the same access to the same fare information and bucket availability through GDS systems. It's possible they are not showing such options because they are unlikely to be purchased. Or there systems are not programmed to do an exhaustive search so that they will provide results more quickly. Note that a number of airlines (including United) license ITA's (now Google) QPX fare search software. But there are almost certainly tuning options for it on which fares it will actually display. https://www.itasoftware.com/
http://www.demarcken.org/carl/papers...complexity.pdf

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 24, 2023 at 10:16 am
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, particularly if you’re looking for anything but the shortest possible connection time.
…and if you want to see partner fares and flights that UA.com doesn’t include. I start all of my flight searches on google flights.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:21 am

Google searcheable fares on UA website

This has been discussed before, and it is not uncommon for Google to find UA fares below the ones offered on UA site. This is not a case of cached or dynamic pricing, and *seems* to be a more efficiently constructed fare, perfectly bookable on UA site using direct link from Google.

For the reasons too dull to discuss, I would want to find a way to either book it directly on UA site without google link, or figure out the fare details so that I can call and give them to UA agent.

I did try to recreate the fare using ITA Matrix, but it ended up being higher than both Google and UA for the same flights (

Does anyone have any pointers on how I can do this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vicontt
This is not a case of cached or dynamic pricing, and *seems* to be a more efficiently constructed fare, perfectly bookable on UA site using direct link from Google.
Sometimes it's because google's search engine is less sophisticated than UA's, and has failed to validate married segment inventory. In that situation, you won't be able to book the fare that's shown by google, because the married segment restrictions won't allow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.