FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   I need some help please, thank you (MSY to as close to RDD on AA, or MSY-RDD on UA) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1988348-i-need-some-help-please-thank-you-msy-close-rdd-aa-msy-rdd-ua.html)

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 12:44 pm

I need some help please, thank you (MSY to as close to RDD on AA, or MSY-RDD on UA)

Deleted, thanks.

GNRMatt Sep 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Well, you'd then fly AA to a United hub that flies to RDD and have two separate tickets. If you do this, be sure to have a long layover and backup plans if you miss your connection.

Alternatively, you can also see if you can get a site like Expedia or Orbitz to generate a single ticket with AA and UA legs.

JJeffrey Sep 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by whitewave (Post 31551488)
I plan to visit my sister at RDD let’s say 11/14 or 11/15 to about 11/22. Only united serves RDD; I never fly United. I mostly fly American with delta next.

I leave from MSY, so knowing United miles will be wasted how do I fly American as far as I can and then get on United into RDD?

i don’t want to fly into SMF and drive because I don’t want to rent a car and drive into Redding and they have an extra car anyway.

how do I do this? Thank you so much. I’m not a novice flyer but ive never done this before.

oh also depending on price, I prefer business or first or economy plus but will take economy if I have to.

i do not have status on any airline.

thanks for any ideas.

UA looks to fly SFO-RDD, so you could buy one ticket on AA for MSY-SFO and another ticket on UA for SFO-RDD. Just play around on Google Flights with the options, but booking separate tickets will most likely be more expensive than just booking MSY-RDD all on UA.

Also keep in mind that AA will not check bags through across separate tickets.

You might be able to find a travel agent or OTA like Orbitz that could price MSY-SFO on AA connecting to SFO-RDD on UA all on the same ticket, YMMV.

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 12:57 pm

Deleted, thanks.

Mwenenzi Sep 22, 2019 1:10 pm

I plan to visit my sister at RDD let’s say 11/14 or 11/15 to about 11/22. Only united serves RDD; I never fly United. I mostly fly American with delta next.
I leave from MSY, so knowing United miles will be wasted how do I fly American as far as I can and then get on United into RDD?
I don’t want to fly into SMF and drive because I don’t want to rent a car and drive into Redding and they have an extra car anyway.
How do I do this? Thank you so much. I’m not a novice flyer but ive never done this before.
Oh also depending on price, I prefer business or first or economy plus but will take economy if I have to.
I do not have status on any airline.

Not many options unless you want to drive to Redding from some other airport
Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redding_Municipal_Airport ---> UA from LAX & SFO to Redding

Anyway ff miles should be the byproduct of flying an airline, not the reason to fly an airline. FF miles are not worth much

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31551573)
Not many options unless you want to drive to Redding from some other airport
Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redding_Municipal_Airport ---> UA from LAX & SFO to Redding

Anyway ff miles should be the byproduct of flying an airline, not the reason to fly an airline. FF miles are not worth much

Excellent point, thanks. Looks like on United I can get one stop from MSY so that’s worth more than points anyway.

Mwenenzi Sep 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by whitewave (Post 31551587)
Excellent point, thanks. Looks like on United I can get one stop from MSY so that’s worth more than points anyway.

But sign up for the UA ffp anyway. UA ff miles now never expire, so maybe some (minuscule) value in the years ahead.

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31551594)
But sign up for the UA ffp anyway. UA ff miles now never expire, so maybe some (minuscule) value in the years ahead.

Thanks for the tip

Often1 Sep 22, 2019 1:33 pm

It all depends on what you consider important. My suggestion is not to start with pre-conceived notions and then to lay out the options and make a judgment.

1. Price - There are roundtrips on UA MSY-RDD for as little as $350. AA transfers to UA cost well over double that and sometimes well, well over that.
2. Bags - Not only will you need to pick up your bags at SFO and check them in with UA, but you will pay another bag fee. Add $60 on the roundtrip.
3. 100% of the risk of a no show is on you. If your AA flight into SFO is late and you miss your xSFO flight, you may wind up having to purchase new tickets (all depending on fare rules and the UA agent's mood).

In the end, ask yourself what those miles are worth to you. Even if they go into the UA program and you never use them, would you pay double the ticket price + bags + accept risk of a no show for a few AA miles?

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31551634)
It all depends on what you consider important. My suggestion is not to start with pre-conceived notions and then to lay out the options and make a judgment.

1. Price - There are roundtrips on UA MSY-RDD for as little as $350. AA transfers to UA cost well over double that and sometimes well, well over that.
2. Bags - Not only will you need to pick up your bags at SFO and check them in with UA, but you will pay another bag fee. Add $60 on the roundtrip.
3. 100% of the risk of a no show is on you. If your AA flight into SFO is late and you miss your xSFO flight, you may wind up having to purchase new tickets (all depending on fare rules and the UA agent's mood).

In the end, ask yourself what those miles are worth to you. Even if they go into the UA program and you never use them, would you pay double the ticket price + bags + accept risk of a no show for a few AA miles?

Right. I’m glad I posted here. I knew you all would set me straight

wetrat0 Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31551634)

These days, it's hardly a matter of "if" your AA flight is late, but "when". SFO is not a hub for AA so you will have to connect to get from MSY to SFO on AA, doubling your chances of a late flight and a misconnect.

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Deleted, thanks.

garykung Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm

i don’t want to fly into SMF and drive because I don’t want to rent a car and drive into Redding and they have an extra car anyway.

But you have to.

With such scarcity of flights, it is almost impossible to score a cheap ticket for RDD. SMF will be mostly cheaper, even you add the rental car cost.

whitewave Sep 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Deleted, thanks.

roadtriper Sep 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by whitewave (Post 31551840)
Ok so my session timed out and when I refreshed, all the prices jumped up by about $150

When this happens go in and delete cookies. Airline and car rental sites seem to penalize you for not pulling the pin when you find a fare. I had this happen multiple times. Clear out cookies and the lower fare magicaly re'-appears YMMV. RT