Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Missed connection; what is United's policy if next flight is full?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed connection; what is United's policy if next flight is full?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Interesting comments about rebooking. I've been rebooked on Delta several times when my flight from MSP was going to miss the connection in ORD. No hesitation at all. After reading how United never does this, I assumed that they only did it for me because my Silver status makes me so special!
Similarly have had no issues when OAL is the obvious choice (e.g. DCA-ORD canceled on me from DCA-ORD-MSP) - even got an agent who was going to try to rebook my confirmed RPU into DL F (that part did not work -- ended up asking for IAD-MSP in F instead).
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
It (comp upgrade to J TATL in situation similar to, but not nearly as painful as, OP's) happened to my (non-status) mom earlier this year without her even asking. Too be fair, the fact that she is a senior citizen, and presumably looked beleaguered, might have played a role in this outcome, but it seems like a common sense customer service gesture to me.
I believe the secret is to not ask. All of the OpUps I've received -- both pre and post status on UA and OALs -- have been without prompting. Conversely, every time I've inquired about upgrading (pre-status -- post-status I just apply the instrument and cross my fingers) I've never gotten it. Kind of like my cat and treats -- she begs no treat, just does cute things, gets lots of treats.

I suspect agents prefer to "surprise and delight" rather than reward "begging" (even if the beg is just a single ask) ... OT but most memorable OpUp was when I was no status and fixed a printer jam at a CO outstation. At boarding the agent insisted I had picked up the "wrong" BP and handed me my "correct" F BP
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It (comp upgrade to J TATL in situation similar to, but not nearly as painful as, OP's) happened to my (non-status) mom earlier this year without her even asking. Too be fair, the fact that she is a senior citizen, and presumably looked beleaguered, might have played a role in this outcome, but it seems like a common sense customer service gesture to me.
It's a common sense gesture, sure, except that you're bypassing a whole list of waitlisted upgrades. (Can you imagine the outrage over "shenanigans" by whoever finishes first on the list?). Also, frequently you're dealing with a whole planeload of IRROPs'ed passengers, making it wholly impractical.

I would look at that situation as a once-in-a-blue-moon situation, not something to ask about.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Taking a connection through a delay prone airport when a nonstop is available? I don't get it.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Taking a connection through a delay prone airport when a nonstop is available? I don't get it.
I suspect it was considerably cheaper.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's a common sense gesture, sure, except that you're bypassing a whole list of waitlisted upgrades. (Can you imagine the outrage over "shenanigans" by whoever finishes first on the list?). Also, frequently you're dealing with a whole planeload of IRROPs'ed passengers, making it wholly impractical.

I would look at that situation as a once-in-a-blue-moon situation, not something to ask about.
If I'm the gate agent or the gate agent's supervisor, the passenger who my company has put through hell for the preceding twelve hours trumps that "whole list of waitlisted upgrades" big time. And, in the OP's friends' case, I highly doubt that many other people flew to IAD and back early in the morning in order to wait 9 hours for EWR-LHR; on the airline screw-up scale, this rates as about a 9 IMO.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm the gate agent or the gate agent's supervisor, the passenger who my company has put through hell for the preceding twelve hours trumps that "whole list of waitlisted upgrades" big time.
The "whole list of waitlisted upgrades" represents an ongoing revenue stream.

And, in the OP's friends' case, I highly doubt that many other people flew to IAD and back early in the morning in order to wait 9 hours for EWR-LHR; on the airline screw-up scale, this rates as about a 9 IMO.
And, IMO, this is closer to a 1. Delays happen, especially the day after a major hub airport was closed for 16 hours.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:24 pm

The "whole list of waitlisted upgrades" represents an ongoing revenue stream.
A revenue stream of people that should clearly understand the fact that the airline has complete control over how to allocate seats in its premium cabin. If they wanted to sit in business class, they presumably had ample opportunities to pay for it with cash.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A revenue stream of people that should clearly understand the fact that the airline has complete control over how to allocate seats in its premium cabin. If they wanted to sit in business class, they presumably had ample opportunities to pay for it with cash.
There are an awful lot of posts about "useless RPUs/GPUs" that suggest otherwise.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:46 pm

There are an awful lot of posts about "useless RPUs/GPUs" that suggest otherwise.
Look, people can whine until the cows come home, but they aren't running the company, and they knew going into the game that upgrades are contingent upon available seats. As soon as the GA or supervisor places someone in one of those seats (often in a revenue booking class), there is one less available seat.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by nas6034
Why weren’t they offered an option to be put on the EWR-LHR knowing they’d probably miss their DC-LHR?
Apparently because their luggage had been loaded on the EWR-IAD flight. They were told it couldn't be retrieved, and they were told they had to fly with their luggage. So they ended up in IAD

These are people who don't fly often, aren't aware of these kind of forums, and presumably booked one of the cheapest flights they could find. They probably wouldn't have been aware of the benefits of EU261 or of what their rights are on non-EU airlines.

They've now been booked on the last UA flight of the day to London and are on standby for an earlier one. I've suggested they buy a lounge pass; they didn't know what an airport lounge was and have taken themselves off to do some sightseeing instead, which I hope they're enjoying.

It's hard to advise people in this situation when they're not regular travellers and aren't good at communicating or researching on the go. I can't say with any certainty what really happened today or what their options really were. When I travel I try to anticipate problems and either avoid them or have a backup strategy, and have some idea of my rights....but that comes from years of practice.

Anyway, I hope they make it home OK and can then look at any claims they can make on their travel insurance or from the airline.

Thanks for all the comments. I haven't read them all yet but I will, in case I'm ever in the same situation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Look, people can whine until the cows come home, but they aren't running the company, and they knew going into the game that upgrades are contingent upon available seats. As soon as the GA or supervisor places someone in one of those seats (often in a revenue booking class), there is one less available seat.
Beyond unlikely that UA would authorize an OPUP when there are paid (if only by cert) UG's out there. This is an international flight and the freebies are really there because of an operational need, not as a means of making someone happy(ier).
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ttama
Apparently because their luggage had been loaded on the EWR-IAD flight. They were told it couldn't be retrieved, and they were told they had to fly with their luggage. So they ended up in IAD
Is there a reason they didn't book EWR-LHR originally?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
I believe the OP stated it's because with a connection it was substantially cheaper than a non-stop.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
They probably wouldn't have been aware of the benefits of EU261 or of what their rights are on non-EU airlines.
EC261/2004 applies no obligations on a non-EU carrier departing from a non-EU station.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Some people like to gamble.

Last edited by mduell; Sep 20, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.