Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing strategies to improving upgrade chances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routing strategies to improving upgrade chances

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
So do many other people, which is why you're not getting upgraded.

I don't criticize your choice; I simply choose differently. I would rather spend the currency of time than cash for comfort; I enjoy flying and I don't really find delays stressful. (I use the extra time to help out fellow travelers, who frequently do find it stressful). To each his own, but I agree that I would not stretch for Plat in your situation (although you may hit it organically), nor would I stretch for 1K.
This. If I'm somewhere in Europe headed home, and I'm not going to get upgraded on my nonstop, I'll switch to a one stop every time if I get an upgrade that way.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's my thinking as well. I don't mind making an extra stop if flying international J or F, but for domestic I pretty much always favor the nonstop.

The one exception is that being SFO based, I'll route via LAX either to enhance upgrade chances on a tcon or to Hawaii or for a significantly cheaper J fare (e.g., NRT, which is often 40% cheaper ex-LAX). Being able to grab a shower at *A lounge TBIT is an added plus, as are the relatively cheap airport hotels (100% on suite upgrades at Sheraton Gateway).
I guess I will do that too -- I definitely flew a few SFO-ORD-DCA or SFO-IAH-LGA when I couldn't get a nonstop for under $1,500 o/w. The former helped by the ground sector IAD-DCA being needed anyway and the latter is many more PQM
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by halls120
This. If I'm somewhere in Europe headed home, and I'm not going to get upgraded on my nonstop, I'll switch to a one stop every time if I get an upgrade that way.
So you'd fly economy on TATL just for better chance to get an upgrade on the domestic leg, rather than fly a nonstop TATL segment in economy?

Are you talking CPUs?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by findark
... I've done SFO-FRA-BEG-ZRH-FRA - to get to FRA...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wco81
So you'd fly economy on TATL just for better chance to get an upgrade on the domestic leg, rather than fly a nonstop TATL segment in economy?

Are you talking CPUs?
If I'm scheduled to fly FRA-IAD nonstop in Y and can't get upgraded, but I see business seats up front on BRU-IAD, GVA-IAD, MUC-IAD, LHR-IAD, I'll change to FRA-XXX-IAD. I do this frequently, using miles and money to upgrade.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
If I'm scheduled to fly FRA-IAD nonstop in Y and can't get upgraded, but I see business seats up front on BRU-IAD, GVA-IAD, MUC-IAD, LHR-IAD, I'll change to FRA-XXX-IAD. I do this frequently, using miles and money to upgrade.

Sure that's not too bad.

But in the US, you would have to get on a 4-6 hour flight in Y in for the chance to get upgraded from ORD, IAD, IAH, etc.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
But in the US, you would have to get on a 4-6 hour flight in Y in for the chance to get upgraded from ORD, IAD, IAH, etc.
And I'll happily do that in exchange for PZ space. 14 hours in Y, vs 12 hours in J, a 3 hour layover, and 4 hours in Y, say? Not everyone will make that trade, but I certainly will.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Well it's more like 8 hours in J, after 4-5 hours in Y.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by narvik
It was a relatively last-minute ticket and SFO-FRA was $10,600 and SFO-BEG was $2,700. The BEG fare allowed a stopover in FRA so...

My only regret was that I didn't have the guts to book myself on the same LH frame FRA-BEG-FRA (as it turned out, it was the same plane and while I had to clear transfer security at BEG there would have been plenty of time to fly it back to FRA). I did start rooting for the catering delay on SFO-FRA that was ultimately not enough to get me to misconnect on my first time through FRA that day

Instead I spent a bit in the BEG "Business Club" (an awful lounge, and yet fascinating for how Warsaw Pact era it felt) and the regrettable decision to stop by the D SEN lounge in ZRH (also forgettable but they did have Movenpick ice cream, albeit doing its best to melt in the freezer since the lounge was roasting).
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.