Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
SFO is changing the gate number system at all terminals beginning Oct 16. Gate numbers will change from numeric to alphanumeric (e.g. Gate 64 is now Gate E11). Letters will correspond to the boarding area.

For United in Terminal 3: Boarding Area E, gates E1 E13, and Boarding Area F, gates F1 F22 will replace gates 60-90.

For United in the International Terminal: gates G1 G14 will replace gates 91-102.

https://www.flysfo.com/gate-renumbering

Print Wikipost

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been doing all UA the last few years so I don't know how the other 2 terminals work. In the link you provided, it says T2 will have an observation deck! That would be pretty cool! Taking pictures from the terminal gets the window reflections.

I suppose it will be airside? That means it is even more important to connect them so I can get to it from T3
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I have been doing all UA the last few years so I don't know how the other 2 terminals work. In the link you provided, it says T2 will have an observation deck! That would be pretty cool! Taking pictures from the terminal gets the window reflections.

I suppose it will be airside? That means it is even more important to connect them so I can get to it from T3
Cool indeed! It would be pretty neat if they took a page from HND / NRT and made access landside.

edit: from my further scrutiny of the renderings and the shadow pax's roller bags, I suspect it will be airside.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Two of three bouncy walkways shut down this evening for maintenance . . . hope they're not changing those too!
G Terminal already has an outdoor deck. SFO Outdoor Terrace
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club

I suppose it will be airside?
The T2 observation deck will be pre-security. per the SFO site:

The airport plans to construct a second observation deck, located pre-security in Terminal 2, which is scheduled to open in October 2019. This space will be publicly accessible to anyone, and will not require a boarding pass for travel.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lazytom
I might be mistaken but isn't T2 already connected to the parts of T1 that are currently open?
T2 has been connected airside to T1C for a few years now. But when I went through T1B soon after it opened with the new gates, there was still no airside connection to T1C that I saw. Is this open now?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
T2 has been connected airside to T1C for a few years now. But when I went through T1B soon after it opened with the new gates, there was still no airside connection to T1C that I saw. Is this open now?
No. The B and C concourses have never been connected airside.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
No. The B and C concourses have never been connected airside.
Right. I thought I read somewhere that the plan was to eventually have an airside connection between the two.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by econ
Right. I thought I read somewhere that the plan was to eventually have an airside connection between the two.
Right. Just wanted to clarify B and C have always been separated, it's nothing to do with the new B concourse.

What's especially awesome now is you can't walk between B and A landside due to construction, you have to go all the way around. And they have one of the Airtrain lines shut down due to Grand Hyatt construction. It's all something of a cluster currently.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two of three bouncy walkways shut down this evening for maintenance . . . hope they're not changing those too!

G Terminal already has an outdoor deck. SFO Outdoor Terrace
Wow, didn't know. I will look for it when I am there next time. Thanks. (Although I suspect the T2 one will be better as it is closer to where the planes rotate.)

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
The T2 observation deck will be pre-security. per the SFO site:
Oh cool! I will be visiting

Last edited by username; Sep 21, 2019 at 7:54 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Got burnt one time on the gate 90. Came into gate 84 late. Assumed 90 was with the 90's gates Got all the way overthere to realize it was not there.

If I would of just looked to my right after leaving 84 I would of made my connection. Instead had to overnight in SFO. Lol
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
None of this is germane to SFO, though, except to say that I agree, the current numbering system is bad
It makes perfect sense if you've been flying out of SFO for 30+ years
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It makes perfect sense if you've been flying out of SFO for 30+ years
This. Now I have to figure out those non-pier gates again (ie 70-75)...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Count me as a fan of the change -- I don't transit SFO often but I can't say I've ever found the current system particularly good in terms of wayfinding.

Originally Posted by Danski
This might make sense at LAX as well, where the terminal and gate nomenclature limit each terminal to 10 gate numbers before you have to tack on letters or special characters (for example, Gate 71, 71A, 71.2, 71.2:-:, etc).

Perhaps they should incorporate emojis - Your flight to Hawaii? Gate . Your flight to [place you really dislike]? Gate .

ORD got rationalized a few years ago... there's the chance that it could come to LAX but I'm not holding my breath (two easy ways would be to make the gates 3 digits -- gate 801 instead of 81 -- or replace the first digit with an alpha -- H1). On the current trajectory LAX starts using gate numbers like 72A4C I'll know there's no hope.

Being both an aviation and technology geek the TV in my (travel themed) guest bedroom has an "interpretation" of the FIDS used in the UA podium backwall using real airports and delay reasons but a random number generator for times, flight numbers, and gates. Occasionally I'll have the wife play "Is that a real gate number?" -- I think the most absurd it's come up with was V103W. Thankfully I haven't seen that one IRL yet.

Might have to add the emojis next time I updated it
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Occasionally I'll have the wife play "Is that a real gate number?" -- I think the most absurd it's come up with was V103W. Thankfully I haven't seen that one IRL yet.

Might have to add the emojis next time I updated it
Clearly you've never flown into gate C130Y at EWR
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this thread is about SFO gate numbering, moved the extended IAH discussion to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-iah.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.