Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

Old Sep 19, 19, 11:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ZRH
Programs: MM FTL
Posts: 24
lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

I am flying domestic in F from ORD to BZN. which lounge can I use in chicago and am I allowed to take a guest ? or is there an arrival lounge in chicago that I can use coming from ZRH in business ? information on united website is not clear to me, they mostly talk about international flights
Charly61 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:51 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,211
Originally Posted by Charly61 View Post
I am flying domestic in F from ORD to BZN. which lounge can I use in chicago and am I allowed to take a guest ? or is there an arrival lounge in chicago that I can use coming from ZRH in business ? information on united website is not clear to me, they mostly talk about international flights
Are you flying UA or LX to Chicago? Do you have *G status?
jsloan is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:16 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Are you flying UA or LX to Chicago? Do you have *G status?
UA doesn't fly ZRH-ORD (except summer schedule) so I'm assuming LX.

An LX business class arrival does not grant UA lounge access, nor does a UA domestic F departure, unless you are Star Alliance Gold on LX or some other carrier (not UA).

Not sure whether LX grants arrival access to its own passengers at the T5 lounge. But even if they do, that's not going to be particularly convenient for a UA departure.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:18 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,323
I think if the OP booked on one ticket, the UA ORD-BZN ticket might say INTL on it, which then allows any *G to enter the UA lounge.
AceReport likes this.
aacharya is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,461
If youíre arriving into ORD on Swiss, you have no lounge access unless you have Gold status or better. If you arrive into ORD on Swiss (in either business or coach) AND have United Gold status, you get access to United Club. If you are arriving into ORD on United, you have access to UC or Polaris Lounge if in Polaris Business. If you have United Gold status, you have access to UC if arriving into ORD in coach.

If you have Gold status from an airline besides UA, you gat access to ORD United Club based on your F flight to Bozeman.

That should cover all the options 🙂

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 19, 19 at 12:58 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:51 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,211
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
An LX business class arrival does not grant UA lounge access, nor does a UA domestic F departure, unless you are Star Alliance Gold on LX or some other carrier (not UA).
*G gets lounge access on any international *A same-day routing, regardless of carrier.
AceReport likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:00 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,461
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
*G gets lounge access on any international *A same-day routing, regardless of carrier.
*G status from an airline other than UA does not provide arrival access.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:07 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,211
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
*G status from an airline other than UA does not provide arrival access.
OK, but there's no United Club at Bozeman. OP is flying ZRH-ORD-BZN. If ZRH-ORD is on LX, then there is no lounge access at ORD unless OP has *G status. If OP does have *G status, they can access the United Club at ORD.
jsloan is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:17 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,461
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
...If OP does have *G status, they can access the United Club at ORD.
Yes. If OP has *G status from other than United, they get ORD based on F departure to BZN, not based on intíl arrival on SWiss. If *G status from UA, OP gets access at ORD based on intíl arrival, not based on F departure to BZN.
jsloan and narvik like this.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:17 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Posts: 3,018
OP's best bet would be re-clearing security at T5 and heading to the LX lounge which he should have access to as a frequent traveller member of the Lufthansa Group of airlines frequent flyer program. It also has way better food and facilities than the UC's at ORD. One thing that is less clear is whether the airside inter-terminal buses at ORD will pick up passengers from T5 to take them to T1.

In any event, aside from the Polaris Lounge there's not much to write home about in terms of lounges at ORD.

Safe Travels,

James
j2simpso is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DEN/ORD
Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
One thing that is less clear is whether the airside inter-terminal buses at ORD will pick up passengers from T5 to take them to T1.

I think it's pretty clear. There isn't an airside bus that picks up from T5. It only operates one way between the domestic terminals to T5. The assumption being that if you arrive in T5, you have to clear customs and immigration and will end up land side. The general sentiment around these parts is that there is NOT a lounge in T5 that would be worth re-clearing security at T5 if you weren't flying out of that terminal.
onthesam likes this.
mpw81 is online now  
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:45 pm
  #12  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,576
Originally Posted by Charly61 View Post
I am flying domestic in F from ORD to BZN. which lounge can I use in chicago and am I allowed to take a guest ? or is there an arrival lounge in chicago that I can use coming from ZRH in business ? information on united website is not clear to me, they mostly talk about international flights
As you can see by the responses, this is not a simple question. If you could provide
1) Carrier of the flight from ZRH?
2) Do you have any status with UA or other Star Alliance carriers?
3) How long do you have between flights at ORD?

Domestic F by itself does not get UA lounge access
There are no arrivals lounges at ORD (Star Alliance)
If eligible for lounge access, the guesting privileges will vary based on answers to the above.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 19 at 3:48 pm Reason: Guesting
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:52 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago IL US
Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Posts: 730
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
OP's best bet would be re-clearing security at T5 and heading to the LX lounge which he should have access to as a frequent traveller member of the Lufthansa Group of airlines frequent flyer program. It also has way better food and facilities than the UC's at ORD. One thing that is less clear is whether the airside inter-terminal buses at ORD will pick up passengers from T5 to take them to T1.

In any event, aside from the Polaris Lounge there's not much to write home about in terms of lounges at ORD.

Safe Travels,

James
1) Even if it was open and accorded arriving pax access, the LX lounge at ORD is never worth clearing security for (plenty of T1 options such as Tortas Fronteras and Wicker Park Sushi are much better places to relax/recharge). There are no showers and no worthwhile food and beverage options at the LX lounge.

2) As mentioned, there is no T5-T1 airside TTB.
onthesam is online now  
Old Sep 19, 19, 4:48 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PVG
Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Posts: 233
https://www.loungebuddy.com/ is a great tool for helping to answer these types of questions. You enter your airline ticket/fare class, where you're flying, what airline status(es) you have, and which credit cards you have and it tells you where you can enter at each airport, what the fees are (if any), what time the lounges are open, and where to find the lounge (which is not always easy).
SFHokie is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 4:54 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Continental OnePass
Posts: 742
Originally Posted by SFHokie View Post
https://www.loungebuddy.com/ is a great tool for helping to answer these types of questions. You enter your airline ticket/fare class, where you're flying, what airline status(es) you have, and which credit cards you have and it tells you where you can enter at each airport, what the fees are (if any), what time the lounges are open, and where to find the lounge (which is not always easy).
The Star Alliance Lounge Finder is also pretty good.
swiftaw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread