Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA MM
It's really no one's business here to tell others what they should and shouldn't do with their time unless asked. What we can do is help others out with doable options and the T5 --> T1/3 airside bus is one of them. Yes, it might not be a great option for many, especially those who must go through security. Besides flights from Abu Dhabi and Dublin (EI), all Frontier flights arrive airside at T5 (as mentioned above).

Secondly, it's not really another bus that runs but simply allowing an existing bus to carry passengers both directions. The need is going to increase, too, as more become aware of the option and as T5 slowly becomes another domestic terminal (JetBlue and Spirit will migrate there).
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's really no one's business here to tell others what they should and shouldn't do with their time unless asked. What we can do is help others out with doable options and the T5 --> T1/3 airside bus is one of them. Yes, it might not be a great option for many, especially those who must go through security. Besides flights from Abu Dhabi and Dublin (EI), all Frontier flights arrive airside at T5 (as mentioned above).
JimInOhio , the point of all the back-and-fourth is it is not at present an advertised/consistent option available to all travelers. Anyone wishing to waste their time in the tiny sweatbox that is the LX lounge is welcome to, but they are well advised to budget for enough additional time to get to M1, realize there's no TTB option for them*, then walk back to the main terminal entrance, head downstairs and out to the landside shuttle then ride to and re-clear security at T1.

*- reasons include but are not limited to bus not running and bus by invite only. While we await confirmation of TTB from T5-T1 being open to general public without invitation, we also note that it is likely much faster to just take the landside shuttle that goes directly to T1 without all the stops and waiting.

Secondly, it's not really another bus that runs but simply allowing an existing bus to carry passengers both directions.
LOL! Not when done the Chicago way
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Secondly, it's not really another bus that runs but simply allowing an existing bus to carry passengers both directions. The need is going to increase, too, as more become aware of the option and as T5 slowly becomes another domestic terminal (JetBlue and Spirit will migrate there).
Let's talk about OP's predicament:

1) Coming from ZRH, the OP would arrive landside following immigration and custom - this could take hours, depending of the time and day of the week.
2) I don't believe the OP could utilize any departure lounge in T5 solely on the F domestic ticket.
3) OP has a departing ticket for terminal other than T5.
4) T5 is a known for long security lines, partly due to the lack of TSA Pre sections.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
It's really no one's business here to tell others what they should and shouldn't do with their time unless asked.

I forgot about the first rule of FT.... No unsolicited advice!!

I think the many, many posts in this thread suggesting that visiting any of the lounges in T5 aren't worth the hassle involved should be considered relevant, and more than welcome advice.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM FTL
thanks for all the advice and recommendations.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Let's talk about OP's predicament:

1) Coming from ZRH, the OP would arrive landside following immigration and custom - this could take hours, depending of the time and day of the week.
2) I don't believe the OP could utilize any departure lounge in T5 solely on the F domestic ticket.
3) OP has a departing ticket for terminal other than T5.
4) T5 is a known for long security lines, partly due to the lack of TSA Pre sections.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you’re on LH430 right now me too and I can guest you into a UA lounge
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I guess I forget about any lounge visits and proceed from T5 to T1 after arrival.
what still confuses me is that everybody is talking about airside and landside buses that operate or maybe not or only sometimes. what about the ATS ? would this not be the logical way to transfer from T5 to T1 ?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Charly61
thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I guess I forget about any lounge visits and proceed from T5 to T1 after arrival.
what still confuses me is that everybody is talking about airside and landside buses that operate or maybe not or only sometimes. what about the ATS ? would this not be the logical way to transfer from T5 to T1 ?
ATS is closed "indefinitely" for repairs and upgrades. (Scheduled to open "in time for Winter 2019 holiday season" if you're in a mood to trust Chicago infrastructure schedules.)
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Charly61
ATS is currently down, and will be until at least December.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
ATS is currently down, and will be until at least December.
I will be there december 22 so there is still hope

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 24, 2019 at 10:29 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but one more vote about the generally underwhelming nature of the LX lounge. Tiny, crowded, dated, and while I love swedish meatballs as much as the next guy, not worth the material extra effort. If I wanted a lounge that badly, i'd definitely pay the $50 for the more convenient, larger, and renovated united club in T1. The only thing that might (might) get me to go through the hassle was if the LX lounge had showers but I am 99% sure it doesn't. Honestly just get yourself a seat at the bar at tortas frontera.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by boolean64
The only thing that might (might) get me to go through the hassle was if the LX lounge had showers but I am 99% sure it doesn't. Honestly just get yourself a seat at the bar at tortas frontera.
Agreed!

100% no showers, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.