Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lounge access chicago - arriving LH J, departing UA domestic F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
That being said, per UA's website, OP should have access to the UC at ORD:
No. You even copied the text that explains why (although you got yours from the Polaris table).

Business class on a Star Alliance member airline

Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their international business class flight.footnote2
MSPeconomist and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agree with you that at least the UCs in the US at outstations like ORD aren't that good. The best part of those lounges is the breakfast which has a decent selection of food but after that everything goes downhill. I'm at the PHL lounge and have some veg, pita bread, hummus, soup, cheese and brownies. Unless you're a mouse you're not going to get a food fill.

That being said, per UA's website, OP should have access to the UC at ORD:

So long as OP still has their ZRH > ORD J boarding pass on LX that should qualify since we're talking same-day travel here (he would need to present that to the Dragon).

LX should also be an option:

It is true that lounges operated by the LH Group of companies tends to have stricter access policies than other partners. However, I doubt they'll bat an eye if OP has flown them in J, especially if the ticket was issued on LX stock. Again save your boarding passes since they should be the key to get into those lounges.

As for transfers between terminals. I found the landslide transfers to be quite quick (maybe 10 minutes by bus from T5 to T1) - they basically loop around the airport so T1 will be the first terminal they stop at anyway. That being said, it's good to see that they have T5 > T1 going airside which should provide OP all the incentive to re-clear security at T5 to enjoy the LX lounge. I haven't been to the LX lounge at ORD but suspect it'll be better than what UA has at their ORD outstation.

Safe Travels,

James
What you quoted concerns the Polaris lounge and says that the OP won't be admitted.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. You even copied the text that explains why (although you got yours from the Polaris table).

Business class on a Star Alliance member airline

Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their international business class flight.footnote2
You're right, I didn't see that legalese buried below the admittance rules. That's pretty dumb though and suggests that the LH Group should be paying UA some money to offer this service. Talk about a slap in the face after spending so much on J!

That being said, OP may have better luck at the LX lounge anyway and in any event will be leagues ahead of what the UC offers at outstations like ORD.

-James
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

LX should also be an option:

It is true that lounges operated by the LH Group of companies tends to have stricter access policies than other partners. However, I doubt they'll bat an eye if OP has flown them in J, especially if the ticket was issued on LX stock....
OP is arriving on LH connecting to UA, very, very unlikely to have LX stock.

Bottom line, this OP has no formal access to any lounge at ORD based on the information provided. The best chance is the LX lounge but unless LX will waive its rules (that's a stretch) for the LH passenger is a question for the LX forum.

That being said, OP may have better luck at the LX lounge anyway and in any event will be leagues ahead of what the UC offers at outstations like ORD.
Most that have been there would probably disagree it is worth the effort plus the large uncertainty in terminal transfers. Although it is the better of the two T5 *A lounge choices.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reason: Although it is the better of the two T5 *A lounge choices.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No lounges at ORD T5 are worth clearing security twice for, even if OP had access.
cricketer and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Bottom line, this OP has no formal access to any lounge at ORD based on the information provided.
The screenshot you quoted says access will be granted to the LX lounge based on FTL status.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The screenshot you quoted says access will be granted to the LX lounge based on FTL status.
I think you are still required to have a qualifying flight also, appears that screenshot comes from a page that starts "Wherever you fly to with SWISS" (but OP is arriving on LH)

The *A access requirement is any *A departing flight (which the UA F flight would qualify) AND *G (which does not include M&M FTL.

But again this not *G access for LX lounges is probably best for the LX / M&M forum.

One has to be careful quoting websites and not looking over the entire page.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As for transfers between terminals. I found the landslide transfers to be quite quick (maybe 10 minutes by bus from T5 to T1) - they basically loop around the airport so T1 will be the first terminal they stop at anyway. That being said, it's good to see that they have T5 > T1 going airside which should provide OP all the incentive to re-clear security at T5 to enjoy the LX lounge. I haven't been to the LX lounge at ORD but suspect it'll be better than what UA has at their ORD outstation.
First of all, international arrival at ORD T5 can be headache. Sometime if you are caught with multiple arrivals, lines can be extremely long, and one can spend hours there if without programs like Global Entry or Mobile Passport.

Second, as this has been mentioned, there are NO airside buses from T5 to T1.

Finally, if you have never been to the lounge in the bold quote, please do not make sweeping generalizations. T5 at ORD badly needs a re-do, including its lounges. To be fair, UA has some decent UCs at ORD.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
To be fair, UA has some decent UCs at ORD.
Yes, I like the B6 and the F8 UCs. I go to one or the other depending of which Terminal my next flight is leaving from.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA MM
First of all, international arrival at ORD T5 can be headache. Sometime if you are caught with multiple arrivals, lines can be extremely long, and one can spend hours there if without programs like Global Entry or Mobile Passport.

Finally, if you have never been to the lounge in the bold quote, please do not make sweeping generalizations. T5 at ORD badly needs a re-do, including its lounges. To be fair, UA has some decent UCs at ORD.
There is a FT member who posted he/she has taken the airside reverse transfer bus from T5 to T1:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31353562-post230.html

Last edited by JimInOhio; Sep 20, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Airside shuttle bus from T5 to T1 started several months ago. When I have arrived late inbound into T5 UA agents have told me to consider taking it if the regular landside bus line is long. They said there is never much of a line for it and based on everyone saying it does not exist I totally get why the line is never long.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There is a FT member who posted he/she has taken the airside reverse transfer bus from T5 to T1:

Thanks for the data point.

GS pax. The end result not good:

This took about 1 1/2 hours and a LOT of walking. I got separated from my colleague and he took the regular bus and was at the gate in 1/2 hour.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
Airside shuttle bus from T5 to T1 started several months ago. When I have arrived late inbound into T5 UA agents have told me to consider taking it if the regular landside bus line is long. They said there is never much of a line for it and based on everyone saying it does not exist I totally get why the line is never long.
Airside is kind of misleading since you essentially re-clear security, as required for most international transfers, back into T5.

Based on the account of the poster, it is really inefficient (long walks, wait, and no TSA Precheck) and took way longer than his/her colleague who went landside.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by username
Airside is kind of misleading since you essentially re-clear security, as required for most international transfers, back into T5.

Based on the account of the poster, it is really inefficient (long walks, wait, and no TSA Precheck) and took way longer than his/her colleague who went landside.
Sure, no secret there. I think the point is if someone who arrives at T5 with a connection out of T1/2/3 and is dead set on going to a T5 lounge, then it can be done without going through security twice.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, no secret there. I think the point is if someone who arrives at T5 with a connection out of T1/2/3 and is dead set on going to a T5 lounge, then it can be done without going through security twice.
Ahh, right. At least there is that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.