Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Don’t drink the (on board potable) water

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don’t drink the (on board potable) water

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
1) I've seen FAs refill empty water bottles from the galley tap.
2) The dry ice contamination of ice cubes is a bigger worry than the tap water in the coffee, which at least has been heated to near boiling.
3) Back in the TED days we got tap water with our Crystal Light lemonade and we all survived to tell the tale.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
On the Erj-145 the FA refills the coffee line water with bottled water. Unsure about other aircraft types.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bart889
Maybe better to link to the source document:

https://www.dietdetective.com/airline-water-study-2019/

One of the variables in their model is "Cooperation in water investigation", which is highly subjective and allows the modeler to fudge the results any which way they want.
I did not read extensively to understand each item. But this is a good point. I think there is a lot of fudge. In each apparently substantive metric -- 'Total ADWR Violations', 'Avg # of ADWR Violations per Aircraft', 'Total Water Samples Testing Positive For E. Coli', 'Total Water Samples Testing Positive For Coliform' -- UA scores better than DL. However in the headline 'Onboard Water Health Score' metric, UA scores worse than DL. AA scores worse than both in all. So I don't trust the report very much.

Originally Posted by Halo117
On the Erj-145 the FA refills the coffee line water with bottled water. Unsure about other aircraft types.
On all aircraft the issue is going to be the line or reservoir, not the source water.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Making coffee essentially boils the water, doesn't this eliminate bacteria risk?

I personally have not gotten sick from on board coffee (that I know of). Interesting that you have a forum of people who would probably tell someone who is afraid to fly, "Its less safe to drive to the airport than to fly." Who are afraid to drink on-board water...
nnn and Badenoch like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
This is what I use onboard:

https://www.colgate.com/en-us/produc...hbrush/mf-wisp

Water is not necessary.
Just ordered my n Amazon: Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
I wonder if there is any correlation on where these Airlines are based in. Alaska being based at SEA, Hawaiian at HNL, and JetBlue at JFK should tell you something.

United having hubs in some of the largest US metros should be a factor in their score
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: *bucks Gold
Just think of it as UA® Signature™ Kombucha℠©℗
Boosts immunity
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
I wonder if there is any correlation on where these Airlines are based in. Alaska being based at SEA, Hawaiian at HNL, and JetBlue at JFK should tell you something.

United having hubs in some of the largest US metros should be a factor in their score
Newark, NJ's water quality appears to be about as bad as that of Flint, Michigan:

Newark's lead tainted water crisis
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Honestly I don’t worry about this stuff. If it was really an issue, millions of people would be falling ill on a daily basis. The way I look at it, unless we live in a sterile bubble, we are all going to ingest bacteria from all the various surfaces we touch, air we breathe, etc. That’s what the immune system is for. In fact, by exposing our immune system to various pathogens, we are really just helping to strengthen it! That’s what I shall tell myself next time I have the coffee!!!
COSPILOT and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Nostalgia time. The issue with contaminated water on planes was first reported by the then 12 year old son of one of our members. You can find a discussion of the work here.

https://spectrum.mit.edu/summer-2007...83kb-za7tkckp8

He posted the news on FlyerTalk where it was picked up by the WSJ.

... on an online bulletin board he posted the results, which were spotted by a reporter from the Wall Street Journal. “They couldn’t take the word of a 12-year-old,” says Bjornson-Hooper, so the newspaper hired a company to test the water and confirmed the child’s results. Later, the EPA heard of it and conducted 165 of their own water tests, all positive. The EPA then presented results to the U.S. Congress, which made it illegal for airlines to serve contaminated water.
cawhite and speed.skater like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
Honestly I don’t worry about this stuff. If it was really an issue, millions of people would be falling ill on a daily basis. The way I look at it, unless we live in a sterile bubble, we are all going to ingest bacteria from all the various surfaces we touch, air we breathe, etc. That’s what the immune system is for. In fact, by exposing our immune system to various pathogens, we are really just helping to strengthen it! That’s what I shall tell myself next time I have the coffee!!!
I was going to write the same. For instance, I’m watching all these videos on @passengershaming ‘s Instagram channel of people using hand sanitizers or wipes to clean their seats and I always wonder if does make sense.
Having said that, it seems to be the case that the “hygiene hypothesis” (the idea that the proximity with germs boosts the immune system) applies only to children, hence it might do no harm to adults being overly zealous with hygiene.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by franic
I was going to write the same. For instance, I’m watching all these videos on @passengershaming ‘s Instagram channel of people using hand sanitizers or wipes to clean their seats and I always wonder if does make sense.
Having said that, it seems to be the case that the “hygiene hypothesis” (the idea that the proximity with germs boosts the immune system) applies only to children, hence it might do no harm to adults being overly zealous with hygiene.
The plane is a flying bubble of germs!

I have no issue with pax who use wipes to clean their area except for those who use three of four and give me an asthma attack in the process. The smell of the cleaning agent on the wipes triggers the attack. (There is a theory that asthma is caused by not being exposed to enough germs as a child, i.e. the home was too clean). I am a huge proponent of exposing children to germs and diseases to build immunity (and I also vaccinated my child for prventable communicable diseases for the same reason).

I drink the coffee and tea on flights. The water has been heated although I am not certain "boiled" is the right phrase. I also clean my teeth on international flights using the water in the bathroom tap. I have lived to tell the tales! 🤩
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
...clean my teeth on international flights using the water in the bathroom tap...
Well that seems like you live your life on the edge!
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scracer14
Making coffee essentially boils the water, doesn't this eliminate bacteria risk?.
Coffee makers don't boil the water enough to purify it.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
On a UA flight now. Just asked the FA if they used the airplane potable water for coffee and tea. She said yes.
All mainline aircraft use potable water for coffee, tea, galley spigots, and the sinks. Some fleets use a bit to flush the toilets as well.

Originally Posted by catocony
1) I've seen FAs refill empty water bottles from the galley tap.
1) They're not supposed to, but if there's no more bottled water...

Originally Posted by scracer14
Making coffee essentially boils the water, doesn't this eliminate bacteria risk?

I personally have not gotten sick from on board coffee (that I know of). Interesting that you have a forum of people who would probably tell someone who is afraid to fly, "Its less safe to drive to the airport than to fly." Who are afraid to drink on-board water...
It's not anywhere near boiling, and iirc, the water temperature was lowered in some of the recent models of coffee makers (but I might be making that up in my head. it's been a long day.) Maybe I'll grab a food thermometer before my next trip...

But also, the pots themselves can often times be dirty... you can sterilize water but if you put it into a dirty pot to serve from...

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I don't drink the coffee or tea, I avoid the lavs when I can, and NEVER go barefoot onboard. I'm still good for ~3-4 sick calls per year (I was never a sickly person before...). Maybe you're onto something, science be damned...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.