FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   If E+ access is purchased on award, will that impact cash upgrade to Premium Plus? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1987925-if-e-access-purchased-award-will-impact-cash-upgrade-premium-plus.html)

Johhny5Alive Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm

If E+ access is purchased on award, will that impact cash upgrade to Premium Plus?

Quick Question - Quite specific:
I currently have an XN award economy ticket TYO - EWR on UA metal
I would LOVE to upgrade to Premium Plus Economy
My only 'status' is holding a United Explorer card

I imagine on such a long haul I have little chance up receiving a complimentary upgrade
Is there any upside to purchasing Economy Plus now?
I will try to purchase Premium Plus Economy once checked in - Would the price take in to account the difference for the economy plus seats?

Thanks all!
- J

ISTFlyer Sep 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive (Post 31540011)
Quick Question - Quite specific:
I currently have an XN award economy ticket TYO - EWR on UA metal
I would LOVE to upgrade to Premium Plus Economy
My only 'status' is holding a United Explorer card

I imagine on such a long haul I have little chance up receiving a complimentary upgrade
Is there any upside to purchasing Economy Plus now?
I will try to purchase Premium Plus Economy once checked in - Would the price take in to account the difference for the economy plus seats?

Thanks all!
- J

Nothing to do with Turkish Airlines. I've alerted the mods to transfer this post to the United MileagePlus forum.

However, I would answer your question

If you purchase EconomyPlus it won't matter as it would be your status and the number on the upgrade list that matters. I don't think that no status United credit cardholder passengers are automatically at the upgrade list unless they have requested a mileage upgrade. In your case, a mileage upgrade could not be requested as you're flying on an award ticket

I am also not sure about if you could upgrade to PremiumPlus by paying the fare difference at check-in ( at the airport ) on UA award tickets; however in regular cases if you purchased EconomyPlus and managed to upgrade yourself to PremiumPlus, the seat fee that you have paid for EconomyPlus would be refunded.

Johhny5Alive Sep 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Super helpful! Thank you!

findark Sep 19, 2019 7:26 am

Yes, purchasing E+ will have no effect on the possibility of a cash upgrade offer to PE (or its price). If you subsequently purchase an upgrade to PE, the E+ seating fee will be refunded.

Johhny5Alive Sep 19, 2019 7:53 am

I feel like the extra space 3 inches is worth the ~200 dollars for the 12 hour flight.
Right now I have booked the 56L/K (so quite nice to have a "private row" although close proximity to the bathrooms)

Pricing to upgrade to E+ is 189 and 199 for the two of use
I have heard pricing can fluctuate to as low at 129 (timing?)

Any thoughts on the value and watching the price?

IADFlyer123 Sep 19, 2019 9:57 am

The $129 will be for the non-exit rows and could be for the middle seats. The E+ prices tend to stay consistent and may change at check-in. If you havent purchased it yet, keep checking your reservation and it may offer you a "good" price for E+ seat or even a PP+ seat. But you also stand to see an increased price for E+ seat.

findark Sep 19, 2019 10:05 am

Personally, if I had one of the two-blocks in the back of a 777 booked with a companion, I would not pay anything for an E+ seat, and might even stay put if E+ were free (unless empty middles looked like a probable outcome). But I also would not fly Y on a 12-hour flight, so my advice is based on the likes of DEN-SFO or AKL-SYD and ymmv :)

Johhny5Alive Oct 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Update - Sprung for the extra miles given the 85% bonus on united purchases and upgraded to Business on an ANA 777 (too bad wont be the new suite though)
Thanks for everyone's help!