Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

united gets into a twitter dispute over passenger seeking free upgrade to E+

united gets into a twitter dispute over passenger seeking free upgrade to E+

Old Sep 20, 19, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing wrong with asking for a handout. It is entirely inappropriate to act on one's own or whine when the handout does not materialize.

The flip side is that the aircraft belongs to UA. It can do with it what it wants. If it is overbooked and at risk of oversale, opup makes all the sense in the world. But, that is a UA decision.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with asking for a handout. It is entirely inappropriate to act on one's own or whine when the handout does not materialize.
THIS.
Asking is okay, but being denied should be immediately accepted & end it right there and then, and not result in posting one's outrage on social media.
Old Sep 20, 19, 3:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with asking for a handout. ...
Understand the sentiment but be on the other side of that conversation. It is quite tiring and a bit of a downer to be asked for something all day, every day and having to say no, no, no.
jsloan and dilanesp like this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Understand the sentiment but be on the other side of that conversation. It is quite tiring and a bit of a downer to be asked for something all day, every day and having to say no, no, no.
What is your evidence that ANY FA is being asked for an E+ seat "all day every day?"

Last edited by DenverBrian; Sep 20, 19 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
What is your evidence that ANY FA is being asked for an E+ seat "all day every day?" Hyperbole much?
One thing to remember is that if you ask, you have no idea how much the employee has to do or whether lots of others have been asking.

And this is a very good reason to never ask.
Old Sep 21, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Along the lines of what @DenverBrian says, the analogy itself is weak at best.

As for throwing shade, it is never appropriate to "throw shade" on any passenger, even if the passenger is unreasonable. The original twitter complaint should have been simply ignored, or there should have been a boilerplate "we're sorry but this is our policy and we will share your feedback" type of response.

The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer.
Why? Boilerplate corporate responses are boring and I donít have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times Iíve seen FT members complain about receiving boilerplate responses from airlines. Damned if you do, damned you donít. Either way, I think itís great that UA showed some personality in their Twitter response.
chavala and dilanesp like this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
If something is "free". Then, by definition, nobody will pay for it. The truth is that status and perks are earned. Giving those same perks to others who haven't earned them devalues them to the point where no one will pay for them. You must enforce standards in order to sell your product and not cannibalize your market.

UA sometimes makes mistakes with this by offering cheap F upgrades. However, lately, I haven't seen any bargains.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 21, 19 at 6:49 pm
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What is your evidence that ANY FA is being asked for an E+ seat "all day every day?"
My girlfriend for starters.....

And its not just E+ requests......

It is a very rare flight she doesn't deal with some sort of silliness....
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
My girlfriend for starters.....

And its not just E+ requests......

It is a very rare flight she doesn't deal with some sort of silliness....
Since it's a very rare flight that isn't sold out, including E+, I can only accept your comment as anecdotal.
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Navig8R View Post
Why? Boilerplate corporate responses are boring and I donít have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times Iíve seen FT members complain about receiving boilerplate responses from airlines. Damned if you do, damned you donít. Either way, I think itís great that UA showed some personality in their Twitter response.
Personality doesn't have to manifest as snark, and I think it's a dangerous road for a company to adopt a policy of fighting snark with snark.

(Which I personally am guilty of, and take responsibility for, in this thread. Apologies to anyone I got too snarky with, especially WineCountryUA. I'll endeavor to practice what I preach.)
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since it's a very rare flight that isn't sold out, including E+, I can only accept your comment as anecdotal.
(a) Load factors are at 80-85%, not 100%.
(b) People will ask for things anyway.
Old Sep 21, 19, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
Personality doesn't have to manifest as snark, and I think it's a dangerous road for a company to adopt a policy of fighting snark with snark.

(Which I personally am guilty of, and take responsibility for, in this thread. Apologies to anyone I got too snarky with, especially WineCountryUA. I'll endeavor to practice what I preach.)
They don't ordinarily use snark. Which should be another signal that airlines do not view this as harmless, but rather see this as something worthy of condemnation because it potentially interferes with their employees' job duties.

And I think that's actually why it is important to use snark. Because snark says "you didn't just make a harmless request and get turned down; rather you did something contemptable and deserving of mockery". It makes perfect sense as part or a public strategy to cut down on the number of passengers asking for handouts from UA employees.
chavala and physioprof like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: