Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

united gets into a twitter dispute over passenger seeking free upgrade to E+

united gets into a twitter dispute over passenger seeking free upgrade to E+

Old Sep 19, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Last month on Facebook someone posted “I will never, I repeat never, fly United again #unitedairlinessucks”

United replied “Your Loss- The world’s most comprehensive airline network”

They got 69 Likes and many comments in support of their response, with many people mocking the OP.
I thought it was great. I love when a company sticks up for themselves instead of giving some wussy robot response.
jsloan, st3, narvik and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Last month on Facebook someone posted “I will never, I repeat never, fly United again #unitedairlinessucks”

United replied “Your Loss- The world’s most comprehensive airline network”

They got 69 Likes and many comments in support of their response, with many people mocking the OP.
I thought it was great. I love when a company sticks up for themselves instead of giving some wussy robot response.
And maybe no way to tell, but I bet there’s a pretty good shot this guy flies UA again the next time the fare to their destination is $1 cheaper than the competition (remember when the Spirit CEO accidentally sent this type of email back to a customer who said the same thing to them, instead of the internal team...whoops...but probably true, also).

Actually...we might now because they may post a similar comment again after the next trip. Sometimes, there’s just no way to please...
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by nmpls View Post
The question I have is there isn't a plane-load worth of E+, if as he describes, how should UA pick them. They've already upgraded all the elites there. Should it be by spend, when you booked the ticket, or just a mad scrum and fight to tap out to determine who is worthy. Regardless of what it is, expect unhappy people.
Also, I want my empty middle seat if I can, and paid for seats tend to make it less likely that no one sits there if the plane isn't full, as no one is paying for middle seats.
The paid issue is one matter. But this is also a worthy reason. Say UA's policy was "you can switch to any E+ seat that's open after boarding for free". Then there would be a scrum to grab those seats right as the plane is trying to depart. And knowing that scrum would be coming, there would be a bunch of pax who would early-bird it and try to sit down during the boarding process, and potentially take an assigned seat. Or if it were after takeoff and seatbelt signs, again a scrum . . . there are real practical challenges that go beyond merely charging for the seat.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The link doesn't work for me, so I'm going to try my quote trick, which did not work this time.

Can someone give a valid link please? Thanks.
This sometimes happens and no idea why. However if you copy and paste in a new tab, it works fine. Nevertheless, I'll post the link to see if it works.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-cant-m...162754552.html
Old Sep 19, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by nmpls View Post
The question I have is there isn't a plane-load worth of E+, if as he describes, how should UA pick them. They've already upgraded all the elites there. Should it be by spend, when you booked the ticket, or just a mad scrum and fight to tap out to determine who is worthy. Regardless of what it is, expect unhappy people.
Also, I want my empty middle seat if I can, and paid for seats tend to make it less likely that no one sits there if the plane isn't full, as no one is paying for middle seats.
I think by spend is fair. And a better practice than giving the basic economy passengers E+ seats that are open when they assign them seats.
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy View Post
I think by spend is fair. And a better practice than giving the basic economy passengers E+ seats that are open when they assign them seats.
I had a seatmate in First class that was on a BE ticket. I only know because she told me. I guess this was UAX trying to get the airplane out on time, and didn't bother with upgrading the next on the list, then giving the likely E+ seat to the BE lady.
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:14 am
Original Member

This was not a one off for this passenger. In his tweet he says "Patel said in an interview that he didn't know they were Economy Plus seats when he asked to move. But he maintains passengers should be able to move into them once the plane is in the air and says flight attendants on some flights have allowed him to when he asked"

So, it does not seem to be encouraging him on future flights - just encouraging him to repeat his behavior and ask for a freebie
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:49 am

I've seen this a few times on Allegiant; so the ULCC model has the same issues. After takeoff people want to occupy the (pay extra) extra-legroom exit rows if there are empty seats.
In that case, it's actually illegal for a passenger to occupy the seat if they haven't been given the safety briefing.
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:52 am

As usual if you ask the gate agent nicely if they have any rows with an empty seat next to it, they will often give it to you at no charge. I have asked on board and the answer was no. Also I have noted that United E- plus prices are demand driven and fluctuate. On a recent trip I was offered the seats for $129 at booking, a few days days later I checked on the App and they were $49, then back up, then back down, and on the day of the flight they were back up most likely due to the upgrades of elites.
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
He asked to move up; he was denied; he posted a single tweet, retweeted a whopping 22 times, and his worst "crime" seems to be saying "BS" in the tweet. I don't think Soup Nazi tactics are the right way to go here; but what do I know, I'm from a square state.

He was definitely wrong. UA could have snuffed this immediately with a more positive "no." Now it's being seen by lots of FTers - admittedly a group more prone to "I'll provide that guy service, but he has to be nice to ME first!" than the general population.

Let's just say Nordstrom would not handle the response in this way.
you are 100% correct. Taking something from Nordstrom without paying would have you arrested. Asking to take something you likely result in being asked to leave the store. Taking to twitter to complain about not being allowed to take something free should deliver all of the derision this "person" has received.

Why is this one so hard to understand? I don't want poachers milling about in E+, P+, Business. I hope UA offends them. I don't want them, nor their kind sniffing around me.
chavala and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:35 pm
formerly atomicfront

United's analogy is terrible. I had a rental car reserved for cheapest model when my car was in the body shop. Enterprise upgraded me to a BMW X3 rental because extra cars available. After 3 weeks they called me and said I would have to bring the car back in or pay the higher rate.

I pay for Main Cabin extra on American flights all the time. I see people ask and get moved up to MCE all the time. It doesn't bother me. Why should it.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:41 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by scracer14 View Post
For those who support the free seat selection.

On a Polaris or P.S. flight with empty seats, should they be up for grabs if vacant? What about Premium Plus? If so, who gets the seat? First come first served or does status trump timing?

Granted this is only E+, but would you tell your kid, "hey it was only bubble gum you stole, so it's not a big deal."?
Best looking should get the seats. When I was 20's and 30's I used to get to airport early and went up to the check in agents and ask to be moved me to exit row and they moved other people from their seats and gave me the seats. I just said I was tall and my legs would hurt if I wasn't in the exit row. They were very sympathetic.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many people who are not particularly tall covet E+ just because they consider it to be something better than true steerage and they can't afford F. If you want to sell the KoolAid and you want it to be a meaningful perk for elites, you can't randomly give it away. because it then isn't special.

Better the seat goes out empty and somebody looks at it longingly, thinking that if they just flew that one more segment, they too could fly in the luxury of E+.
wrp96 and chavala like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
Best looking should get the seats. When I was 20's and 30's I used to get to airport early and went up to the check in agents and ask to be moved me to exit row and they moved other people from their seats and gave me the seats. I just said I was tall and my legs would hurt if I wasn't in the exit row. They were very sympathetic.
No particular offense to you, but this is exactly what the problem is. For whatever reason, people just think they shouldn't have to pay for a better product when it comes to airlines. Indeed, there are pages and pages of instructions on the Internet as to how to ask for free upgrades from gate agents and FA's. And airline employees have to deal with all of these people when they have other things to do.

Your seat assignment on a plane is not an opening bid. It's what you paid for. If you are entitled to a space available upgrade due to status, that's one thing. But if not I think it's shameful to be pestering airline personnel for upgrades. People would never do this to other businesses. Nobody walks up to a supermarket employee and says "I know I only paid for chuck, but can you upgrade me to tenderloin". Nobody, as mentioned, goes to a department store and says "I paid for the store brand jeans but can you upgrade me to designer jeans".

It's just amazing the sense of entitlement that leads to these situations.
jsloan, wrp96, chavala and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:28 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
No particular offense to you, but this is exactly what the problem is. For whatever reason, people just think they shouldn't have to pay for a better product when it comes to airlines. Indeed, there are pages and pages of instructions on the Internet as to how to ask for free upgrades from gate agents and FA's. And airline employees have to deal with all of these people when they have other things to do.

Your seat assignment on a plane is not an opening bid. It's what you paid for. If you are entitled to a space available upgrade due to status, that's one thing. But if not I think it's shameful to be pestering airline personnel for upgrades. People would never do this to other businesses. Nobody walks up to a supermarket employee and says "I know I only paid for chuck, but can you upgrade me to tenderloin". Nobody, as mentioned, goes to a department store and says "I paid for the store brand jeans but can you upgrade me to designer jeans".

It's just amazing the sense of entitlement that leads to these situations.
You can get free drinks at bars by flirting with the bartender, let into concerts for free. Upgrades to suites at hotels. Lots of stuff you can get for free by being nice. If it is discretionary for them to let someone have something for free than some people will get it for free and some won't. It is the way of the world. The flight attendants decided the guy on the United flight didn't deserve a free upgrade for whatever reason. He shouldn't whine about it on twitter.
MiraculousM likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: