Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines refusing to refund me for a checked bag charge by partner in irrops.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines refusing to refund me for a checked bag charge by partner in irrops.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Called chase(since I cannot chargeback via online with a CIP) and they said they cannot chargeback since they said the baggage service was carried out and that it is international and they have no rights and that I would lose. Not sure if I should try a different agent? I find it weird that she'd basically state that there's "no point"

Tried DOT, got a reply back saying I need to file a complaint otherwise they cant move forward. I posted what I wrote earlier:
"I purchased a ticket for round-trip travel from New York-Krakow, then Warsaw-New York. Although my fare included one free bag, as shown on my receipt, when I checked in for the return trip, I was charged 500PLN(~127USD) to check my bag. On Aug. 28th and 29th, I asked LOT for a refund of these charges and was denied. Please ask LOT to refund these erroneous charges"

I guess it's game over. Cool that the little guy can just get stepped all over though :/

Last edited by Zealex; Sep 20, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zealex
Tried DOT, got a reply back saying I need to file a complaint otherwise they cant move forward.
Did you do it via the complaint form? https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you do it via the complaint form? https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
yessir.

an agent emailed me so I emailed back asking if he needed more info.

Other than that, looks like I'm out of options.

Last edited by Zealex; Sep 20, 2019 at 12:57 pm
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yessir.

You filed a complaint, and the agent responded saying that you need to file a complaint? That's very confusing. When I've filed a DOT complaint, I got a response saying that they'd forwarded the message to the airline and they had 30 days to respond.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Reading #75 , it does appear that LO was correct. Thus, the entire chargeback / DOT issue becomes irrelevant.

Take a close read of your travel insurance and see whether it covers the extra expense. Or, presuming that somewhere in the chain of cancellations & reroutes, at least one, if nor more, of the ticketed flights were not cancelled/delayed for "extrarordinary circumstances," you should see EUR 600 for that and you are still ahead for your troubles.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Reading #75 , it does appear that LO was correct. Thus, the entire chargeback / DOT issue becomes irrelevant.
No, LO was not correct. Finnair may have messed up the ticket, but that doesn't mean that LO was correct. It just explains why the computer did what it did. No baggage fee was due, no matter what the state of the ticket currently was.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Take a close read of your travel insurance and see whether it covers the extra expense. Or, presuming that somewhere in the chain of cancellations & reroutes, at least one, if nor more, of the ticketed flights were not cancelled/delayed for "extrarordinary circumstances," you should see EUR 600 for that and you are still ahead for your troubles.
I am thinking of using Airhelp to do this. Sure it's a 25 percent cut but I don't do any work, and tbh this is a lot of work.

I googled EU261 and it seems most airlines always deny it, then make you fight for it. Apparently once you threaten legal action it works well. I may just use Airhelp and be done with it, it's still free money I didn't know about without the headache of fighting for it.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
If it were me, I would have contested the charge with my CC long before 58 posts of Flyertalkers’ advice.
That’s what I said a few days ago. The CC company might not even follow up and simply credit the balance. This has turned into more complexity than refinancing a home.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
That’s what I said a few days ago. The CC company might not even follow up and simply credit the balance. This has turned into more complexity than refinancing a home.
OP tried and was shot down by Chase.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP tried and was shot down by Chase.
And I'm curious whose cards unquestioningly charge back purchases which are ostensibly legitimate (at least, the cardholder properly authorized the charge, the merchant claims it was proper, and the service was delivered). I've had enough hassle I don't even bother to chargeback things like a vending machine double-charging my card (I can get that one done, but not worth it for $1). Fraud is of course another story - if you dispute a charge as fraudulent the CC companies have your back.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Called Chase and they said they won't chargeback since they'd automatically lose(their words).

I am aware that Chase sometimes eats the cost and covers it themselves, but they did not offer that in this case =\

Last edited by Zealex; Sep 20, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no claim under EC 261/2004 for the baggage fee.

As noted above, it is highly likely that one or more of your cancellations did generate a cancellation/delay compensation claim, which would be EUR 300 at 3 hours and EUR 600 at 4 hours. That is entirely separate from bag fees.

Why were the various flights cancelled/delayed? You were there and presumably know.

There is no reason to pay out the 25-33% cut on a delay/cancellation claim yet. You have not even filed and been denied. Why pay out as much as EUR 200 for something that has not even happened when you have gone to the ends of the earth over the lesser bag fee?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

There is no claim under EC 261/2004 for the baggage fee.

As noted above, it is highly likely that one or more of your cancellations did generate a cancellation/delay compensation claim, which would be EUR 300 at 3 hours and EUR 600 at 4 hours. That is entirely separate from bag fees.

Why were the various flights cancelled/delayed? You were there and presumably know.

There is no reason to pay out the 25-33% cut on a delay/cancellation claim yet. You have not even filed and been denied. Why pay out as much as EUR 200 for something that has not even happened when you have gone to the ends of the earth over the lesser bag fee?
No idea - they didn't announce it.

Yeah I will try contacting them first and if they don't budge I'll use a refund company.

I reviewed the travel insurance on the Ink Preferred and I'm not sure I could claim my baggage under that, unfortunately.

Little annoyed the agent wouldn't do a CB. Least would have given me some form a chance(a chance they wouldnt even respond at all) .. maybe I could try a different agent? I'll call next week when work is slow, possibly. I've had some free time at work this week, so researching and calling hasn't been difficult but definitely dont wanna make this into some night time job haha.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... .. maybe I could try a different agent? ....
If you have a reason to believe the denial was incorrect, never a bad idea to call/write again. We have a phrase for that on FT, HUCA -- Hang Up and Call Again.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
yessir.

Did you press the button that says, "File a Consumer Complaint" and completely full out the form -- including uploading your UA ticket receipt and your receipt for LOT's baggage charge -- or did you just email DOT?

When I filed a DOT complaint against Iberia for improperly collecting PFCs on domestic (U.S.) award travel on AA flights, I received a response from DOT with a DOT complaint number. But I filed the DOT complaint only after I filed a complaint with Iberia, and Iberia failed to respond in a timely basis.

Called Chase and they said they won't chargeback since they'd automatically lose(their words).

I am aware that Chase sometimes eats the cost and covers it themselves, but they did not offer that in this case =\
I would submit the charge-back in writing, including copies of your original UA ticket, along with a copy of the DOT baggage regulation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2019 at 9:59 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.