Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The waiver has been extended to Sept. 20, with rebooking through 23rd.

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Maybe it isn't as simple as just waiting for the flood waters to recede. Maybe it has something to do with rolling delays and cancellations and the effects of those on availability of flight crews and ground crews and agents, etc., etc.
Maybe it just isn't as easy to overcome a mess like this as we would like it to be...
These are issues that individual airlines need to deal with. They're not things that impact actual airport operations. If some airlines are better than others at coping or planning ahead, why should all of their flights to/from IAH be cancelled due to an airport closure just because one or more airlines can't handle this stuff well?
mechteach likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by alggag
Departures have been very slowly making their way out all day. Its the inbounds that have been stuck.
UA will prioritize getting their widebodies out in these situations. Theyre less susceptible to bad weather and carry lots of pax. Often only one departure per 24 hour period.

A few years ago during polar vortex, UA got its 772 ORD-HNL out when weather was so extreme that almost all flights ex ORD were cx.
mechteach and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
UA will prioritize getting their widebodies out in these situations. Theyre less susceptible to bad weather and carry lots of pax. Often only one departure per 24 hour period.
That's what we saw out of IAH this morning - lots of RJs cancelled, rearrangements of incoming flights to outgoing flights for the bigger birds like crazy.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: SPG,HHonersGold, UA1P, HertzGoldPlus, DeltaSkyMiles
IAH is always unpredictable!

Originally Posted by mechteach
That's what we saw out of IAH this morning - lots of RJs cancelled, rearrangements of incoming flights to outgoing flights for the bigger birds like crazy.
Just to let you all know. I called United 9/19 about UA6353 departing 10 AM yesterday IAH TO BRO. They credited my points and I forgot to delete flight status updates.

I checked yesterday morning at 8:30 ish and it was On Time scheduled to depart. An hour and a half before takeoff they cancelled the flight.

I went on my flight app and they did exactly as described. All planes departing were IAH - Hubs and/or destination's with larger outgoing flights.

The weather in Houston has been sunny with scattered storms over the past 24 hours.
mechteach likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.