Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The waiver has been extended to Sept. 20, with rebooking through 23rd.

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG,HHonersGold, UA1P, HertzGoldPlus, DeltaSkyMiles
Originally Posted by zombietooth
60 min wait on the 1K line right now. I am trying to change my routing.
Same wait time quoted. I guess we'll hold together. I appreciate the information from everyone.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Lauried1079
I live 30 minutes from IAH with a flight scheduled tomorrow IAH to BRO at 10:00 AM. The road reports and closures prevent me from accessing highways to IAH as of 2:15 P.M. today.
This ticket was booked with points from my United Plus card. I'm unavailable to cancel my flight online. Any advice on who or what direction to go?
Am I probably going to eat UA frequent flyer miles?
Thanks in advance.
I would call later tonight and explain the situation - hold times now are very long and your request isn't urgent.

First off, your flight may get cancelled, in which case you should be able to get the points/miles back no problem.
Second, if your flight is not cancelled but you can't get to the airport, United is likely to accept that excuse and provide a refund.
Third, they have a travel waiver in place that may get extendedhas been extended to the 20th, allowing you to change your flight if you wanted to do that. The restrictions may not make that attractive to you of course.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by alggag
I'm supposed to be on 1903 GUA-IAH but am in hurry up and wait mode right now. Fortunately, I'm still at the hotel in Guatemala City and will just continue to hang out here until the inbound flight departs IAH.
Cancelled.

Managed to rebook to tomorrow morning without any issues but I'm still keeping an eye on the flight out IAH as I'm assuming it will be the aircraft to operate the flight back.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Per FlightAware, they are showing an airport closure until Fri @ 1:30pm - can anyone verify? If that's the case, looks like I'll be rescheduling travel for tomorrow...
Also reported in Houston Chronicle:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-14451875.php

The Federal Aviation Administration is allowing flights to depart from Hobby Airport, but there are currently no arrivals, Hobby Airport officials said.

Planes at Bush Intercontinental Airport were grounded just before 10 a.m. due to the severe weather in the area. The FAA said the airport would closed and would reopen Friday, Sept. 20 at 1:30 p.m.

The service road at John F Kennedy Boulevard at IAH was impassable, Houston police chief Art Acevedo said, asking the public to avoid the area.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Also reported in Houston Chronicle:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-14451875.php
Wow - thanks for sharing. Interesting since lots of flights still show as going (albeit severely delayed) for this evening, assuming those will end up canceling unless they are going to allow select flights in/out.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Got rebooked thru ORD with only a couple of extra hours delay.
Good luck to everyone!
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was scheduled to fly AUS-IAH-SJC this afternoon. Changed last night to an earlier AUS-IAH to give a bit more flexibility, but in the end both flights were canceled (and the earlier AUS-IAH returned to AUS).

Thankfully got the last seat on the 6pm AUS-SFO, although even that is overbooked by 4. Complete and utter mess at check-in. Apparently around a dozen planes diverted to Austin, so the check-in line is huge while they try and sort it out.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, United
I'm flying LAX - IAH departing 12:05AM on the 21. I don't know if I can change my flight since it's technically on the 21 not the 20. I'm going all they way to BSB. I hope everything is back to normal on Saturday. Good luck everyone
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Various
The United flight status page is utterly useless right now. My spouse was on a 4:30 pm departure from IAH that is still showing on time, ridiculously.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
IAH is now closed

for those affected

Due to AREA FLOODING/SEE NOTAMS, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Sep 19 at 01:30 PM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 20 at 01:30 PM CDT
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:04 pm

I can't believe that they are looking at keeping it closed until 1:30 pm *tomorrow*. Things are bad right now, but the flood waters are receding rapidly. I'm hoping that this is revised.
alggag likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by mechteach
I can't believe that they are looking at keeping it closed until 1:30 pm *tomorrow*. Things are bad right now, but the flood waters are receding rapidly. I'm hoping that this is revised.
I was thinking the same thing. Once the rain actually stops or at least slows way down then flood waters usually drain out fairly quickly aside from things like underpasses and other low lying areas.

Also, for what it's worth Hobby seems to be back in business and it's a lower area and I would think the roads there are more prone to be flooded.
mechteach likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by alggag
Also, for what it's worth Hobby seems to be back in business and it's a lower area and I would think the roads there are more prone to be flooded.
Exactly! It's a crazy overreaction to keep IAH closed while HOU is open. The north of the city was hit a lot harder today, but the band moved to the south pretty early, and I saw some snapmaps around HOU where the roads were swamped. @IAH just tweeted that roads are fully open around the airport, too.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by mechteach
Exactly! It's a crazy overreaction to keep IAH closed while HOU is open. The north of the city was hit a lot harder today, but the band moved to the south pretty early, and I saw some snapmaps around HOU where the roads were swamped. @IAH just tweeted that roads are fully open around the airport, too.
Maybe it isn't as simple as just waiting for the flood waters to recede. Maybe it has something to do with rolling delays and cancellations and the effects of those on availability of flight crews and ground crews and agents, etc., etc.
Maybe it just isn't as easy to overcome a mess like this as we would like it to be...
jsloan, drewguy, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: United 1K
Missing a connection strategy - Advice Please

I have a flight this evening from ANC - ORD. The inbound is already late and my current scheduled layover in ORD is only 40 minutes to make the connection to IAH. Because of today's bad weather in Houston almost all flights from Chicago were canceled - so tomorrow's flights from ORD - IAH are pretty full but a couple of seats here and there.

My MileagePlus status is Platinum but I've had large success on United without having this issue up to this point. If I don't make my 6am ORD - IAH flight connection (booked in first) or United sees that my inbound isn't going to land in time - will United put me on the next available flight in any seat or will they skip flights until there is a first class seat available? Can I let them know I'm okay with just getting any available seat? Can they protect me on a later flight if I call and ask? Should there be any request for compensation if the reason my inbound (starting this chain of events) was late was because of technical issues?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.